Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Chevy VIN location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Oct 26, 2006.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

I know that the VIN on a '53 Chevy is ONLY on the motor. I'm being told that a '51 Chevy has the VIN on the door post. I just want to double-check that this is correct?

2. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

52 chevy is on the door jamb hope that helps alittle.
    Charlie

3. squirrel

squirrel

they all have the VIN on the door post, but some states only used the engine number for title/registration.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

My 53 has a tag on the a pillar. It was checked against the engine by KDOT

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.
    By the way, the title/engine number on my '53 matched each other, but do not match the body tag on the windshield post. Does that mean something hinky went on at some point?

6. Possibly an engine swap before the car was re-titled or something to that effect.

Here's a good reference for serial number identification and other stuff: http://chevy.tocmp.com/models/serial.htm

Bryan

7. squirrel

squirrel

no, that means that the car was titled/registered with the engine number, not the VIN. The engine number and VIN on chevys are never the same.

8. namsdlo

namsdlo

Man, I hope I am not screwed here but...Bought a 51 chevrolet Deluxe with a VIN on title JAAxxxxxx, which was the engine number. Engine in car number is KAQxxxxx, which makes it a 52 engine. Any ideas to get a correct title? Live in Illinois. Thanks!