Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 hutmobile 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjayf, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Someone is offering a 1931 Hupmobile 3 window coupe for trade on my 50 Ford, it looks pretty cool and it might have some hotrod potential.. does anyone know anything about these cars, if they are worth anything? is there any reason to stay away from them? are they something I ought not chop up and hotrod? I just don't know anything about the car.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. unkamort

unkamort

do you mean 'Hupmobile'?

3. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Yes I'm sorry...

4. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

5. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

thats probably why I didnt find much on the "search"..
    Drew's car is pretty cool!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

This must be his car finished, I wonder what the difference between a 32 and 31 is

Attached Files:

7. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

I went to see the car today...it seems really complete, nice interior, engine turns over and has spark just no gas....almost too original and complete for hotrod use....only problem with the trade is I'm not sure it would be "right" to cut it up..

Attached Files:

8. sawzall

sawzall

50 fords grow on trees..

hupmobile.. not so much.. looks like you have a chance to get something pretty rare..
    and as you mentioned.. very complete.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

There was one of these running around the southeast in the early '90's with a '34 Ford grill and hood. You really had to look to see that something was outta whack. Haven't seen the car in years though, it was red with white scallops.

Cool cars.

10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i couldnt and wouldnt cut it up . rare piece my 3cents

11. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

hupp manufacturing made mostly big car for the day but that car is the smaller cheaper car. they didnt make very many. i had the 32 hupmobile and they made just 2100 of them in 32 . there were more in earily years but still kind of rare . as for worth, i dont know. when i got the body for my 32 hupp i got in contact with the hupmobile club and told them what i had. they told me that if i only had the body to just hot rod it, and i would never find the parts to restor it. this was from restorer!!!!! if you like the car build it. everyone was crowded around my car when i took it to a show because they never had seen one. i liked that alot to be different.

12. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

X2!

ANY '30s 3 window coupe has value. and when you feel like you want a '50 Ford back in your life you'll be able to find one.

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Crap man blow off the fenders and sell all the stock stuff on e bay to finance the build.

14. RDR

RDR

put a modern drive train in it...save all original drivetrain in corner of garage..... and drive it...people will love it! NICE CAR

15. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i really like 20's - 30's 3 windows . i just picked up a 29 essex coupe with suicide doors for a future project . i say do it. build something neat out of it. i will not be a model a and i will always be different. oh and chopped it so it is hard to see out of!

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Is it a 6 or a straight 8??? Hup made 17000 cars in 31 can;t be may left, especially as solid as that one looks.

Careful trying to start it. It has a whopping 4.8 to 1 Compression ratio if its a 6.

Eights are a bit stouter at 5.2 to 1.

Here is one for sale asking 17K

http://americandreamcars.com/1931hupmobile081607.htm

17. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Yeah I saw the one in texas searching last night...its a six

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd make a unique hot rod out of it in a minute.

19. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

it looks like you did a nice job on that car!..how did it run with that six? I like the idea of it reflecting the original motor...

20. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

yeah, I might have to try it without the cutoff wheel and sawsall...maybe

21. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

the title of this thread should have been

'look what i traded my 50 for'

that thing looks cool as hell.

22. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Nice do the trade! very similar to my dodge

23. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Got a pic of what you would be trading him?

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wouldn't hesitate to trade a 50 Ford for that car! Way cool, and different!

25. I'd make the trade too in a heartbeat. But then I'd think long and hard about whether this deserves preservation or restoration or resto-rodding. I found a '38 Hupp 8 with OD sedan that had incredible art deco lines. Joined the Hupp club and shortly found out how rare and desirable that car was and just simply made a nice profit on the car to a Hupp restorer. I feel I did right by history and by the car itself. No regrets and money in my pocket for the next project.

Attached Files:

26. X2, cut it up.

27. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

A friend of mine built a 33 3 window Hupmobile coupe, and dropped a Ford 302/C4 drive train in it, painted it metallic silver, black fenders & trim, with a beautiful dark maroon trim stripe which broke the colors and it was gorgeous. It looks stock. He was very careful not to "butcher" the vehicle. During the build process he was contacted by National Hupmobile Society members who offered him a fortune for it. Apparently the are highly collectible and can draw some huge bucks. Obviously, it's your call. Good Luck!

28. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

well the old timer backed out, he doesn't want to get rid of it anymore, which I imagine is for the best since I would probably take 3 inches out of the top....maybe I will go bother him with a pile of cash one day...

29. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

JJAYF;
    You can always chop/channel/highboy at your leisure later. My suggestion would be to lift the body, swap your favorite engine /trans/rear end, put body back on and drive it primered for a while. There are so many "belly button" cars at shows, a Hupmobile would REALLY stand out.