Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howard Hughes and his 1953 Buick Roadmaster...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Really? The people in 'chairs SHOULD get access to alot of places but I see no reason to penalize everyone to get to the cockpit. Is it like that at the Air Force Museum in Dayton too?

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

one things for-sure he wasn't worried about jumping in with both feet.now-a-days it's not a big deal to go that fast but just think what it felt like back then.wonder if he ever thought that the plane would just burst apart in mid flight?

3. 61bone

61bone

we had a 49 Reo truck that had air bags. Gm had a air bag suspension in the mid late 60s and i kinda:rolleyes: remember a 20 or 30s car that had bags. Cord maybe:confused: . I wouldn't be surprised that OG probably tried them on his second attempt at wheel building.:D

4. True... but, anybody can dream up wonderous things. Most just don't have the funding to make those dreams into solid objects.

I think that's what set this one apart...

I've not read the book, nor seen the movie.

JOE:cool:

5. 61bone

61bone

I havn't been there for several years, but yes. If everyone can't go ,no one goes.:mad:

6. Rocket88

Rocket88

Apparently when the Spruce Goose was sold the buyers did not know about the warehouse full of stuff that went with it.
    In the warehouse was crates of birch aircraft plywood from the forties.
    Apparently Hughes was going to build a sister ship out of birch.
    There was also left of spruce parts and cuttings from the constuction of the original plane.

7. Larry C

Larry C

I worked at Hughes- Fullerton in the mid 60's. I asked some of the "old timers" if Howard ever visited there. They said he periodically had come to check on projects in the '50's, and he was usually driven there in green "50's Chevys. He (undoubtedly Hughs tool) had several "49-'51 sedans. He had said that they were well built cars that provided good value. It must have been before the A/C "bug" hit him.

8. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

HA.. I bet his "Child Safety Seats" are different than yours Nads.. BUHAHAHA

Lots of "Jesus Juice" cupholders too.

9. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

58 cadillacs had optional air bag suspension

10. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

My Late Grandfather worked as a machinist for Hughes from the late forties to ??? He died in '84 form lung cancer caused by said machining(never smoked in his life. My Grandmother said Hughes sent him to college at some big brick building off of Figeuroa{sic} in Los Angeles. That place is USC.

11. randy

randy

The ALA KART had bags! Check out some pics of it, they're pretty obvious.

-r