Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howard Hughes and his 1953 Buick Roadmaster...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just in time for the movie...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/florida/howardhughes.asp

I just finished reading a book about Hughes. Crazy fucker, but he has some cool cars back in the day. Other than the above mentioned bacteria controlled Buick, he also built a '37 chevy "Jalopy" powered by a blown Cord motor - before germs scared him too much obviously... He drove it well into the late 40s...

2. prime mover

prime mover

it says that it was stored in hollywood for 20 years but I swear I've seen it at the imperial palace car museum in vegas.

3. All I have to say is... damn that guy had some BALLS!

Sam.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I always liked his '54 New Yorker, a very attractive car. Fifties sedans can be very classy - especially with a lot of the "mush" taken out of the chassis and steering.

Any pictures of that "jalopy"?

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's some cool engineering with all the aircraft stuff. You read the book? Haha, I cheated and watched the movie, which was pretty good. The airplanes were all models to minimize the cheesy cgi like in Pearl Harbor.

It doesn't get anymore "hot rod" than that polished aluminum mono-wing racer he developed.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

7. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Hughes was such a genius, it was and is truly amazing what he dreamed up. I am a big fan of that guy and although he went nuts about germs he still in my book was one of the greatest achievers in history. Personally the spruce goose was my favorite, the fucker flew and then he just put it away.

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

WTF I heard he had a thing about germs but thats almost hilarious

not to hijack the thread here, but has anyone been to the imperial palace lately? If so, was there a 61 buick lesabre convert (burgundy-ish w/ a white top)? My dad built that car and it was in the museum about a year ago, but it isnt on the website anymore, and he would love to get the car back.

9. daign

daign
    from socal

I'll be there all weekend. Got a room... I'll snag some pix for you.

Hughes was a complete nutcase, but sometimes thats what it takes to change the world. Given an endless supply of cash at a young age can do that to a person...

10. kroozn1

kroozn1

11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I saw that car in a tent at B.J. in Snottsdale. Under the hood was crazy!
    24V generator just to power the purifier. Set up to run with or without the engine. Tons of fab work and aluminum bits under there, you could barely see the poor nailhead.

jay

12. I can just hear that race plane flying over at 300mph+... that radial pumping out a sweet tune: gggggggggggggggggggggvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhr!!!
    Sam.

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

14. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

thats GREAT! thanks alot! I hope its still there.

heres the only pic of it that I have on this computer:

15. flatoz

flatoz

I jsut love it

no money+=crazy
    money=ecentric

oh what a world we live in!

Ryan,

what is the name of the book? I have always been interested in howard hughes, dragged the wife to see the movie on the weekend, would love to read the book.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I read "The Untold Story of Howard Hughes" but there are a lot of books out there...

Most of the books deal with him being nuts and a recluse... The book I read went over some of that, but was mostly about his earlier life with women, planes, business, etc... I enjoyed it...

17. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

They were showing that buick on the Today show the other morning. It's in really nice shape. Cool piece of history.

18. Mojo

Mojo

There's a thin blurred line between genius and insanity it seems. I read that when Harry Miller wasn't creating absurdly fast race cars, he was talking to his spirit guides who were telling him what to build next...

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Just think about what Michael Jackson's Lincoln's like.

20. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

What I liked about Hughes was the fact you cant tell him "you cant do that!"

He invented flush rivits cause he needed them

He built an flew the Hercules (Spruce Goose) cause they said in couldn't be done!

Gotta love his gusto!!!!!

21. I see that the 1954 OLDSMOBILE F-88 GM CONCEPT CAR went for a mere US$3,240,000 on Wednsday night.....if I hadda known it was so cheap....

22. flatoz

flatoz

thanks ryan,

will look for it.

23. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Air bags?

When did they start using those things?

Maybe they ARE traditional? :p

24. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

weather it was a plane, a bussiness, or a car, Hughes applied a different angle to it all, and hotrodded whatever came into his mind! a true american genius who never settled for the ordinary.

25. lurch13

lurch13

think this is the one in vegas?

26. I agree with Ryan..., I liked the early history of Hughs....!!!

I saw the movie and I was disappointed that they focus on his "POISON" instead of his "PASSION"...!!!:confused:

That car has been on tour for a couple of years now..., I have photo's of that car at the Doughnut Derelicts cruise in Huntington Beach CA..., and I have the LAST photo's of the replica of the Hughs Race Plane when I saw it at the Reno Air races!!

Shortly afterwards the plane was destroyed in a crash Killing Jim Wright...!!!

Howard Hughs had "PASSION" and an eye for design that'll live forever...!!!:cool:

27. Fidget

Fidget

Comes with a diaper changing table, and a ball bin for the kids to play in?

28. Fidget

Fidget

The Spruce Goose is at the Evergreen Museum a few miles from me. They weren't allowed to let anyone access the cockpit because if they did, the ADA (American Disabilities Act) states that they have to have a handicap ramp into it for wheelchair access. So no one gets in there. They have a little placard that says that.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Many years ago, '87, I did get to go in the cockpit, the thing's amazing.

30. I was just reading "I Caught Flies For Howard Hughes" a slim volume written by one of Hughes Attendent/Body Guards. It covers from about 1957-1962 during which time Hughes engineered TWA's financing of a new fleet of jets. Extreme high finance while naked and reeking.

I'm sure he probably would have benefited from some of the modern pharmacuticals. A genius. Obsessive-compulsive, you name it and no one was in a position to tell him what to do.

Thanks for the book recommendation Ryan, I want to learn about the real substance of the man.