Register now to get rid of these ads!

Warning: Ingersoll Rand Type-30 Compressor Problems!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Thanks. I use mine for weekend duty. It kicks on maybe once/twice per week otherwise (filling tires, etc). Light duty use for sure.

2. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

ir sucks they wont stand behind their crap . i bought a compressor had problems with to much oil in the air immediatly , couldnt paint with it at all even with a refrigerated dryer, & a 3 stage dryer. they sent a tech out he said the same to much oil .they still would not stand behind it luckly tractor supply did . i will never buy ir again !!

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You guys need to take a deep breath..........first of all IR apparently did not maufacture the motors...though they did decide to use them. But really, what didn't anyone know about the warranty period when they bought their units? Sure, it's nice if any company repairs or replaces a product beyond the stated warranty period, but the fact is, they have no obligation to do so, and while that may disappoint you, you have no basis for complaining if they don't. The ONLY legitimate basis for complaint is if they don't make good DURING the warranty period.

If you guaranteed an item for a specified length of time and it failed well beyond that period, what would YOU do? It's easy to say you'd stand behind it, and you might, but there is very good chance you would not.....and say, reasonably.."hey, the warranty period ended a year ago, I don't think I owe you anything at this point".

Anything beyond that is a gift!

4. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

5. fatkoop

fatkoop

It's not just IR compressors. I bought a unit (supposed to be the top of their line) from Lowe's that had a Emerson motor on it. The first one burned up in 2 days, shot sparks all over and screamed to a halt. They replaced the motor. Then the second motor failed after about a month or two. Lowe's decided to replace the complete compressor with another brand. (Cambell-Hausfield) So far, I've had this one about a year or so and it is still working, but I am nervous now that the warranty has expired. I don't think the brand really means much anymore. It's just the state of most everything you buy today. I still have a old Speedaire (from Grainger's) that has never had any maintenance and is still going great after more than 25 years.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Fair enough. The comment I made on the Baldor motor was on a BRAND NEW motor. It was LESS than a week old!!! I always felt they made good stuff, but after my experience with them I'm not taking that for granted anymore. In my case it all worked out well, but not because Baldor stood behind their product but because the seller did, WECO-GROUP.

When purchasers spend top dollar - they are expecting soemthing for that - otherwise they'd all just go over to Horrible Fright and spend their money there.

A little goodwill goes a long ways.

7. RichG

RichG

Your best bet for a motor is to go to a motor repair place and see if they have one in your frame and horsepower that is an IRON frame. These are generally older motors built with more webbing and better bearings, etc. All sheetmetal framed motors are pretty much equal, they are not designed to last for the long term. Under fairly heavy use, on and off, most motors won't last more than a couple of years (that goes for single phase or three phase).

That said, the best motors I've ever installed are the heavy frame Toshiba's, they are built like armored trucks:D. Baldor runs a close second, but new Daytons are just as junky as Emersons, US Motors, or any other rebadged units.

8. bonesy

bonesy

Brian, in my book you have a better "brand name" than IR. I know where my next compressor won't come from.

9. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Maybe IR was a quality name in days gone buy - But in 2010, I would not consider them as high end Industrial Equipment.

Quincy makes machines that are built for life.

Sad to say it, but with all the shop closings in the last few years you should be able to find a nice one on the cheap.

Also, if you can switch to a 3ph set up - it will pay for it's self buy down sizing your electric bill.

10. titus

titus

That does suck, new shit just isnt made to last, i bought a new compressor about a year ago and am fully expecting that it will have to be repaired at some time, mine was bought with a 1 year warranty, so i dont expect antything to be warrantied anymore, you bought it knowing there was a 12 month warranty, unfortunatly that sucks for you, at the parts store usually if we were within a month of the warranty going out wed take care of it but that was about it, it sucked but things dont come with a lifetime warrant anymore!

Get a good electric motor for it and hope the compressor lasts, at least the tank should last a long time!

nowadays i dont expect anything to last, i use to buy chicago neumatic die grinders (they were ok one time) i had one last 4 or so years, i was happy with that, so i bought another, that once lasted about a year, so i threw them both away, never to buy one from em again, i bought a $10 cheopo from menards, it works great! if it blows, ill chuck it and buy another! obviosly a air compressor is a much larger investment so its not like you can throw that away!

unfortunaly ingersoll rand doesnt strike me as a quality product brand anymore.

JEFF

11. I bought mine from home depot at least 16 years ago and have not had a bit of trouble out of it other than wearing out the rings in the compressor head. i beat the hell out of it and it has paint and everything else in the motor, still ticking.

12. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

UPDATE:

Steve Meyers just called and is "going to do some checking" to see if he can warranty the motor. So maybe Ingersoll Rand will in fact stand behind their product afterall.

I haven't sent anyone at Ingersoll a link to this thread....I wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing first.

If and when they get me a replacement motor I will edit my post to reflect that. I'm not asking them to give me something for nothing. I just want them to get me a motor that's built to last, as that's what I PAID for when I bought this compressor. This compressor was around $1300.00 new...that isn't chump change to me.

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This is the kind of lifespan I expected out of my IR compressor...and it obviously didn't deliver.

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

It seems to be the motor not the compressor, I wouldn't buy anything with Emerson on it, the only things I even see with that name are low end electronics sold at the local cheap department store, think one step up from the dollar stores. Everything they make is cheap chinese junk. It seems they are selling the same compressor with a cheap motor in one case, and a better motor in another.

15. NOTCH

NOTCH

That frickin sucks Man! I have a 10 hp 160 gal IR thats been pretty damn good..
    I have a Friend thats a Rep for IR , I can give him a ring to find out whats the down lo...

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Brian if you don't get any satisfaction, holler at me. I have a buddy that was an electric motor guru, maybe he has some connectiuons to get your replacement cheaper...

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This is my assumption as well. Although I have to say, even if the motor on the IR compressor I bought may have been "cheap", it certainly was not inexpensive when figured into the total package price.

When I asked my local Ingersoll Rand parts/service guy here in Dallas (Air Solutions) about a replacement motor he said they have a "better" motor that they sell now to replace the Emerson. But he couldn't warranty my faulty motor without it coming out of their pocket, and had me call the corporate customer service dept.

I'm not sure if the 'replacement motor' the local IR guy was telling me about is an Emerson or not, but I'm pretty sure that IR still builds this same compressor with a different better quality electric motor.

If I had known this particular Emerson electric motor had so many problems, I would have bought a different compressor with a better electric motor.

18. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

I think that is a different company.

Emerson makes VERY high quality things, and does make stuff in the US.

Link to brands-
    http://www.emerson.com/en-US/products_services/Pages/Home.aspx

David

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the kind of thing that makes me glad that I do what I do. I buy industrial duty USED or REMAN. Can't go wrong. I did a major score on a 3ph 10hp with 205gal of storage. A body shop closing down several years ago. Speedaire, Baldor 3ph, I switched to a 1ph Dayton "Farm Duty" 10hp when I closed my shop and took it home. No issues and I don't expect any. I'd run a 50hr a week shop on it if I had to. That farm duty motor was a bargain at just under $650 out the door. It was less than their advertised price because I started yackin with the salesman and he informed me of my discount status (past Ford employee).

Good luck on your problem and thanks for postin it for everyone. From here forward I suggest everyone look at used industrial stuff. Last forever and many times 1/2 the price of "box store" stuff.

20. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

My advise is to stay away from any capacitor start motor above the fractional hp rating of 3/4 they just are not up to the task of running an air compressor or any item used for general or heavy service like painting or running air tools they will overheat and die. When the motor dies on your compressor replace it with a good dayton or other motor. I have been an electrical contractor for over 40 years and have seen these fail time after time. This is one of the reasons you can buy these air compressors so cheap. I have a 5 hp compressor I bought from a service station the closed down over 30 years ago and with normal service it is still going strong. You can often find single phase motors in junk stores or second hand equipment shops and on e-bay or craigs list

21. bj1k

bj1k
    from Cabot, Pa.

It's odd that I would stumble onto this article because I just went through the same thing last month with an Ingersoll Rand air compressor that I paid over $2,000. for ( Model 2475 7 1/2HP ) . It was just 1 1/2 years old and always serviced and cared for and the motor started throwing sparks and blowing fuses. I took the motor off and took it to our local electric motor pros and was charged around $150. to replace some contact switches that were burned and a couple capacitors. I put it back on the compressor and it blew them again. It aparently turned out to be something in the starter box that was defective because Dave Gutterson sent me a complete starter box free of charge and It is working so far. I have to say that the people that I dealt with at Ingersoll Rand were some of the nicest people that I have ever dealt with and very fair, but having this kind of experience with a product that you bought because of dependable past experiences with their products makes you doubt the present quality and I probably wouldn't buy another Ingersoll compressor unless they recall these compressors since I am hearing about all of these other problems. This is what companies don't understand. With the internet, word gets out, whether it is good or bad about their products. I would say that Ingersoll Rand is one of the better companies and I would only hope that they would do the right thing and recall all of these compressors and fix them right.

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You know... there are a few people on here that I would make acceptions for and help out no questions asked. Bass is one of them.

(and other than a greeting at the Pileup a couple of years ago we have never spoken.) :)

23. BJR

BJR

I bought a rebuilt 2 cylinder Quincy compressor head in 1970. It is still running with the new Baldor 5 hp motor I put on it in 1970 also. Industrial equipment should last more then a year or two. So buy used or rebuilt professional stuff, and avoid the problems with the big box store shit.

24. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

I bought an IR SS5L5 from Grainger about a year ago. I just checked the p/n on the motor & it's the Emerson #23220064. I'll be keeping my eye on it as it is likely no less a TURD than the 54421193.
    Thanks for the heads up Brian.

25. bj1k

bj1k
    from Cabot, Pa.

Not true, bought mine from tractor supply and it has a heavy duty 7 1/2 HP motor with only an Ingersoll Rand plate on it. I have no idea if they make it but it sure don't have Emerson on it. If it did, it would still be sitting there.

26. I would make sure the unloader is working so the motor isn't starting under full load, maybe adjust the pressure switch so it's not cycling as frequently.
    Seems buyers demand inexpensive over quality, I'm guilty of it myself.

27. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I understand your frustratiion, but after more than two years (on a one year warranty), I don't see why your complaining that IR won't stand behind thier product?

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

29. krooser

krooser

I got 8 years out of my motor... expected 20... don't build 'em like they used to.

i was at a motor shop yesterday...brought in an old 3 ph grinder I wanted checked out due to a bare spot on the field windings. the guy dated it to 1939... fired right up and works great. I'm finally getting all my 3 ph stuff hooked up via vfd's so now i can do more work.

30. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Just so happens I will be in the market for a compressor in January.
    Really glad to hear your shop didn't get damaged.