Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom 54 Merc, progress pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Dec 15, 2007.

1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool ride gonna be bitchin when it drivin

2. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Finally got around to posting some more pictures. Chopped the top finally. With othe projects that fell into our hands the Merc got put on hold for a while.

So, here's some more photos.

putting the center bar in to help re-align the roof. That's my dad, Pete:
    [​IMG]

Me, doing the cutting:
    [​IMG]

Top off!
    [​IMG]

Dad, pimpin' in the new chop top! Note the A pillars (and C) don't fit. The bottoms were cut on the outside (couldn't weld behind the dashboard which would have been easier if i could), and the top portions were cut on the backside.
    [​IMG]

Here it is after being re-aligned.
    [​IMG]

The wood was temporary. I replaced both sides with angle iron pieces for more structure while welding the bottoms
    [​IMG]

We noticed that there was an inner brace on the A pillar, so we removed a piece of the A pillar and I welded the brace where our cut severed it. We then made a patch and welded it in place. I'll finish welding later. Yeah, it's an ugly weld. My brother took my MIG and I only had the TIG which i haven't mastered making pretty welds with yet :)
    [​IMG]

We'll tackle the rear portion this weekend i think. We're going to cut between the decklid and the bottom of the rear window and the whole piece will move forward 3 1/2" if i recall. To do so we'll have to "section" the package tray that amount also. And cut the top to spread it out to meet the rear.

3. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

there is a company out in california called roto metals you can buy any amount of 30/70 lead you want the minimum order is 1 pound and shipping is free they charge 5.52 a pound and at 25 pounds they give a discount , it works really well and a whole lot cheaper than eastwood theirs comes out to about 16.00 a pound plus shipping . the number is 1-800-779-1107 you can also find them on the web

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Great start on what is sure to be a killer ride.
    Glad to see you kept the top.
    Please keep us posted!

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

bdynpnt- thanks, i'll check them out. I have a lot of leading to do on this car, and over winter i plan on chopping my '50 Lincoln as well. Probably doing lead on it as well.

'Mo- Thank you! We fit the convert. top on and it would surely have looked killer. Unfortunately, it was way too short it turned out. It would have taken a lot more work to get it to fit, than making the original fit nicely. We're thinking mint green and ivory when all's said and done. Below the 55 pontiac side trim, the main part of the body, will be the mint green, and the rest ivory. Not 100% yet, probably a little early to be thinking about that anyhow ;)

6. Joelchris

Joelchris
    from Pomona

Hey Ace,
    I was thinking about chopping mine this year also. I look foward to seeing your progress.
    Please check out my pics. I would like to hear your two cents on my 54.

Joelchris

7. Homemade44

Homemade44

That is going to be a nice custom when it is complete. Thanks for sharing the build.

8. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Nice work! That's going to be killer!

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

thanks everyone, i appreciate it.

Joelchris, your 54 looks nice. The difficult part so far is planning the rear section of the roof. We have it figured out i'm sure so again, this weekend we're going to get into it i think. Keep checking here, should have pictures up by the weekend.
    -ace

10. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven

11. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

looking good! cant wait to see more progress pics, I will also be chopping my 54 sunvalley sometime soon

12. 57283

Kool thread, great job on the car and pics:cool:

13. I love 54's, Cant you tell? :D