Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a Wood Flatbed or Stepside Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Anyone ever build a wood flatbed or stepside box for their pickup? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a nice finished woodie look as opposed to a utilitarian farm truck grain hauler. But whatever you have I'd like to see.
    Any Pics?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. DrJ

DrJ

I did this about 12 years ago. still driving it, but it gets another coat of varnish every spring.
    4 4+4s stacked on each frame rail, with the botom one cut to fit the contour of the frame. 6 10" long Carriage bolts hold them to the frame then cross "joists" are cross screwed to those after cutting shallow notches to set them in the 4+4s then the Birch top and side planking is screwed on with brass screws.
    I left gaps between the boards to allow for expansion and to let rain get thru since it sits out in the driveway because I can use it for a daily, the curved sides were screwed onto the two center "joists" and then soaked on the outside with hot water from a spray bottle to bend them than pulled in with bungie cords and screwed down to the rest of the joists and the side top plank screwed to it.
    Then the top plank was trimmed with a router to fit the side.
    The brass screws cost more than the wood.
    I use regular, old fashioned "traditional" marine varnish.
    I got the cleats from West Marine.
    They are handy for strapping things down that won't fit in the box but the box is a floorless shell, bolted to the bed.
    That's where I keep the fresh bodies... [​IMG]

3. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Yes, indeed - Looks like Chris-Craft on wheels!
    Nice color, too. I especially like the way you inset the Caddy taillights. Thanks for the how-to, too.
    Dave

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I built this step side box for my 50. It's got 2x2 square tubing cross members with 2x2 square tube edgeers and covered with 1/8" steel sheet. The sides are made fron two pieces of flat 20G sheet, welded in the middle (didn't have a big enough piece on hand to use a single side pannel.) There is a 45* bend at the top of the sides. The round tube is 1" conduit.The stake pockets are 2" square tube, the top of the stake pockets are closed off. The front of the box is a cut down original front pannel, but it probably would have been easier to make a new front pannel too. The tail light pannel is 1/8" x 6" flat stock. the rear fenders are original pre 53 Dodge truck fenders. The bottom filler pannels are 20G steet metal. There has been no "bondo" work done on the truck yet.

The home made tail gate has 1 1/2" sq. tubing on top and botton and 1 1/2" sq. tube uprights in the center and 1 1/2" x 1/4" bar stock ens uprights. There is expanded metal welded to the indide of the tail gate. The letters are formed 3/8" bar stock. The latches are 1/2"bar with washers and springs that are pulled open with 1/8" steel cable. Gene

5. squirrel

squirrel

It's not a work of art, but it is practical and relatively easy to build, with 2x6s and 2x8s and 3/4 plywood and some one bys for the front.

6. foundmyself

foundmyself
    from kansas

I was searching the net for wooden flatbeds and pulled up this thread, but for some reason I am not seeing any of the picture of the pick-up beds you are talking about. What am I doing wrong? thanks. I just bought a 1974 ford supercab and trying to work it over.

7. Thread is from 2004. Oh, and welcome to the Hamb. Luke

8. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

Dont forget the table legs and chain.