Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know Chuck Overmyer? Yarnell, AZ fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meyer, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Meyer

Meyer

Sounds like he got out with his car and only a few possessions.

Chuck Overmyer and his wife, Ninabill, said they lost their, 1,800-square-foot home in the blaze.

They were helping friends flee when the blaze switched directions and moved toward his property. They loaded up what belongings they could, including three dogs and a 1930 model hot rod on a trailer. As he looked out his rear view mirror he could see embers on the roof of his garage.

"We knew it was gone," he said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-30-23-19-19

2. Another crazy fire season!

3. He was able to get out with his wife,dogs and his hot rod,,sadly 19 firefighters lost their lives. :( HRP

4. Meyer

Meyer

Very sad indeed. My parents live in Prescott and that recent fire missed their house by 1.2 miles. Tough situation out there.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The loss of these guys is just horrible. I didn't sleep very well last night thinking about them. But it looks like Yarnel itself got hit pretty hard, and that's almost as bad. Such a neat little town.

6. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Sorry to here that.

7. Mike

Mike

I saw that news on the TV last night just before heading to bed. Lost the 19 firefighters and an estimated 250 buildings (half the town). I didn't sleep well either. Just terrible.

Also, the town of Rye AZ got hit with a fire this weekend. Nowhere near the same scale of loss as Yarnell, but it looked like a good portion of the iconic "Bicycle Junkyard" got burned.

8. I have room to store vehicles free of charge, of course, to any one needing help. My shop is off of Broadway and 28th st in phoenix. Don't worry it has razor wire on all sides and only one access from the street with a wood slat metal gate that is locked after hours. Pretty industrial area.

9. One of the fallen firefighters just graduated one class before me at the fire academy here in Southern California. Lots of heavy hearts here too. Hope everyone stays safe.

10. I don't know Chuck but it is a very sad day here in Prescott. Yesterday, we lost 19 of the 20 man crew of the Prescott Granite Mountain Hot Shot fire fighters, who were killed fighting the wildfire that has destroyed much of the small town of Yarnell, which is about 35 miles southwest of Prescott. The winds shifted suddenly when a monsoon thunderstorm came through the area this yesterday afternoon, trapping them in the fire. This fire was only on 8 acres yesterday morning but is now more than 2000 acres and is out of control. This is a huge loss to the Prescott community, which comes as they put on the 126th year of the World's Oldest Rodeo this 4th of July week.

Click these links to read the local news stories about the fire:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/articles/20130630crews-fighting-small-fires-around-Arizona.html

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1086&TM=10969.47

Lately you may have heard of the fires we have been experiencing down here around Prescott. About two weeks ago, the Doce Fire was burning 8 miles west of our home on and around Granite Mountain. Thankfully we weren't in the path of it and watched it from our front door. These same firefighters were on that fire and saved many homes with no injuries in Williamson Valley and got the 6700+ acre fire under control. Then they were then sent to New Mexico and just returned Saturday to fight the fire by Yarnell.

Pictures of the recent Doce Fire: http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=99&SubSectionID=1573

We purposely built on the north side of Prescott away from the forest and like to think that we are fairly safe here but you never know what can happen. This year has been extremely dry, with very little snow last winter and very little rain this spring, plus it has been hot and very windy. The storm that came though yesterday did give us a nice rain but the lightning started several fires around Prescott, but they were brought under control quickly. The fire in Yarnell was also started by lightning on Friday.

It is so sad to think of the families that lost their loved ones while fighting that fire. Pray for them.

11. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

was watching the news last night and saw him pulling out with Model A in tow. somethin about not being able to get the race car...
    This whole thing is tragic. Lose of life is not good, property can be replaced, but 19 lives cant be replaced. heat goes out to there familys, and friends....

12. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Very sad day for sure. Honor the fallen firefighters for the things they do to save lives and possessions. Truly brave!

13. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sad news indeed. Not sure if they were from Prescott, but recently got to meet a crew from Arizona that helped out here in northern New Mexico for one that got way too close to us. Definitely a First Class group. My prayers are with family members and loved ones.

Attached Files:

• Fire.jpg
      Fire.jpg
      File size:
      127.1 KB
      Views:
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Don't watch too much TV any more but I did last night and saw the fire coverage. Loss of the Hotshot crew is really tragic. Many can't understand how it's possible, unless you've ever seen an old Christmas tree light up. Almost an explosive event, even without wind.

15. Andy

Andy

I wish the goverment would buy a lot of the dorment airliners and covert them to fire fighter use. The loss of oxygen making trees and the CO2 released from the burn is a bad thing and could be avoided.
    My prayers for all affected by the fires.

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

`prayers go out to all.

17. Andy, like everything, it's a matter of money. A lot of those old airliners are at the end of their service life, and would be expensive to fly and maintain. Others have been retired because of their engines, which some are no longer useable in the US due to noise restrictions imposed by the FAA, and are not economically feasible to re-engine. So, many sit in places like Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ (military aircraft); the Pima boneyard near Tucson, the old George AFB in CA, and other places, where they are mothballed for either possible future use, parts, or both.

Sad thing, indeed. Lot of fires in Colorado and a few in California right now, too.

18. mopacltd

mopacltd

I just saw and read this. 8 years later. Thanks to everyone. We have rebuilt at the same location. God only gives us what we can handle and only makes us stronger and a better person. My wife is having cancer problems since 2016 and we will beat this also.

19. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@mopacltd God bless you guys. Praying all goes well for your wife.

SS327 likes this.