Register now to get rid of these ads!

Appleton spotlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kkoacolonel, Feb 24, 2008.

1. williebill

williebill

When I see the non 112 or 552 Appletons for sale cheap,I've wondered what would interchange from them ( 550,451,etc,etc ) with the more desirable 552. If I found shitty 552s missing pieces,will any other series pieces work,and be correct?
    Tried to PM Chad S,but his inbox is full

2. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

The bakelite/plastic handles will interchange as will the actual arms if there the same length , I also think the lenses will interchange as well.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I'm glad this thread came back to the top.

I just bought a set of Appleton S-451's that i'm not sure are working or not, but are in really good shape.
    I've got 2 questions;
    1- is there a certain model that is more desirable, and what's the difference between them(2 questions in one, i know)

I've seen a lot that are non fuctional, and just for show, but i'm not sure how i feel about putting something on my car that has a function but is not set up to perform that function, therefore i'd like to know ;

2- how do you guys feel about just installing them for show?

4. Question one is yes there are models that are more desirable the 112's and 552's. These were the two models that were most often used on customs back in the day. I am sure others were used and it may have even varied by location in the country but if you look at pictures of cars that came out of any of the well known customs shops of the time they were almost exclusively out fittted with those two models. They are more of a deep teardrop shape than other models. The 112's were used earlier on and the 552's took over and seemed to become THE spotlight to use.

As for question number two. It may be more a matter of whether they are legal to have operational where you live than a personal like or dislike thing.

5. Squablow

Squablow

112 and 552 are the desirable ones, because of the shape of the bucket. They were the ones popular on custom cars in the early days, and the other styles really don't look the same when installed.

They have a pointy, conical, somewhat teardrop shape. A 112 is an earlier model and has a small bulb with a lens and reflector, and the retaining ring is thin. I believe a 552 has the same bucket, but has a sealed beam style bulb and a wider retaining ring.

Pretty sure as far as parts interchangeability goes, the whole arm assembly, handle, brackets, and all that stuff from a non 112/552 can be used on a 112/552 if need be. And I would think the bulb and retainer from a 551 would fit a 552 as well but I have never tried.

As for mounting them without hooking them up, who's gonna know? They're really there for style points over functionality anyway.

6. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

7. Wow ^^^ That is a great sight .

8. Man I wish I could find some mounting patterns for my truck so I could mount mine. I am getting tired of drilling holes and welding them back up.:(

9. ^ I had my spots for years before we finally put em on.I didn't have any help at the time or didn't even have an email or ever even use a computer to try and find stuff.I it sounds like im talking about decades ago but this was only in 2008. :) I still never found real patterns.

10. My problem is I don't even have a picture to go by to get a rough idea where they might go. I made a jig to figure out roughly where they look good on the outside but I never seem to be able to get a place where once I drill the holes the handles come through in a good place inside.

11. Are you starting off with a real small bit ? Im sure you are.

12. LOL I have tried everything. I just can't quite get the right angle to get the handle through and have the spot in a good position on the outside. I may just have to try it again.:rolleyes:

13. We started out with a long skinny aircraft style bit thru the guide that threads to the mounting bracket.The thing is....the guide is only made for the big bit not a smaller pilot bit.It was scary because car was already painted outside and inside.I used a template that Jim Mcneil made for me.It ended up being a little low on my car.I had to file the mounting brackets where I wanted em.I was scared straight when we were drilling because I thought the guy who helped me was experienced with spot lights and it turns out it was his first set.We did have an oldtimer there though who was keeping his eye on us.

14. I may have to get a longer bit and try and eyeball it a bit more. Can't decide if I want to just run one like the Calori Couple kind of keeping with the older build style or two. Once I get one to work I can make a template to do the second if I decide to run it.

15. Just try and eyeball it the best you can from the side.I know a mercury set up is different then your truck though.Maybe a dumb idea but what if you did a small bit from the inside going out ?? Not sure if it would work but maybe worth thinking about.

16. Might be an idea. Thanks for the suggestions!

17. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

It is!A friend is the owner of this light,he bought it last year at the Long Beach swapmeet for $175.......

18. El Gordo

El Gordo

If you need a hand this weekend - just ask - I'm in the neighbourhood :D

19. Thanks for the offer. Not sure when I will try tackling it again:eek:

20. El Gordo

El Gordo

my garage is unheated and I can't work on mine at -20c
    I stop into Lee's to get my Hotrod fix

21. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

my friend Dan's 552 collection
    [​IMG]

22. Good interesting thread......have learned a thing or two about Appletons.

Are there templates available for mounting Unity spots and would they work for an
    Appleton?

Here's a quote from an article in Hot Rod Deluxe magazine in 2011 regarding a man who
    seems to have some helpful info. Maybe everyone knows this already, but maybe
    it could help...........quote.....While hunting for the real deal for our Suburban, we eventually found our way to Bob Birch at Accessoryland (563/556-5482). We only wish he'd been our first contact. We were stunned when he rattled off the part numbers of the brackets for our fairly obscure application right off the top of his head. If you're looking for Unity, Appleton, or other brands of accessory lights, save yourself some trouble and start with Bob. The rest is relatively easy, as illustrated here.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/hotroddeluxe/hrxp_1111_how_to_install_spotlights/#ixzz2I25ETKAs

And, a link to Rik Hoving's article on spotlights..............
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...cars/great_custom_idears/appleton_-_lorainne/

23. kspencer

kspencer
    from Salinas

Does anyone have a right and left mounting brackets available?

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

King of Dice owns the Kustom Kraft spotlight company now, he will have the L&R mounting brackets. 1 804 758-0776 Cut offs o 112/552 were used on the 49 to 52 Chevy's. Kustom Kraft are perfect copy of the 112 without the Appleton stamp. $300. for Kustom Kraft or $500. or more for cut offs that need restored a good choice for the money.

The best way to chrome Appleton's is to take them apart, you can make replacement rivets from stainless buttom allens by tiging in the wrench hole, the results will look like rivet with threads.
    :D

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  25. Cruiser

Cruiser

For the best looks on a '49 to '52 Chevy this is the right place to mount your cut off Appleton's of Kustom Kraft spotlights on the clip between the two major parts of the stainless.. You have to be very careful not to touch the glass of the windshield.

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

I might. I know I have a bunch of extra Appleton stuff, including brackets. Give me a couple of days, please ...

27. kspencer

kspencer
    from Salinas

Thanks! PM me when you or if you find Anything.

28. kspencer

kspencer
    from Salinas

Thanks! I look forward to hearing what you find.

29. Also the ones for the dummmy spots they make these days work as well, same thread. If you buy one spot you get the left and right side brackets.

30. kspencer

kspencer
    from Salinas

So your saying.. they will send you both the left and right side brackets when you only purchase one dummy spotlight? I will check into it. Thanks!