Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goldie Gardner at Bonneville 1952

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Great photos - especially that atmospheric ones of the car on a run.

A friend and I ran two ex-factory MG Bonneville cars at four meetings on the salt in 2007 and 2008, the "X-15" ZTT wagon built by SO-CAL Speed Shop and "EXF", a turbocharged MGF which was painted in the same colours as Goldie's streamliner. They remain the only two ex-factory MG Bonneville cars in private hands - the rest are in museums.

It was a real privilege to follow in Golidie's footsteps.

MG has a long tradition of breaking records at Bonneville which sadly seems to have been forgotten. Thanks for reminding us.

Regards

Jon'.

3. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jon- That is amazing! How cool that you got to run those amazing cars in the place where it all happened...

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ill eat up any bit of Bonneville I can get! Those are awesome!

5. grander

grander

If you haven't been to Bonneville - do yourself a big favor - go there!

6. Weasel

Weasel

I remember seeing you guys at B'ville in 2008 and thinking about MG's long history....

7. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

8. Great! now we have more to talk about when we meet this year. I'm a big fan of MGs. (still have my '69 BGT that I bought when I was 16) If you have any pix I'd like to see them.

Cheers! Tim

9. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Small world Tim,as Jon is part of the RollingBones Race team,he is a partner on our xfgr.
    I will introduce you to him next week.
    Oh yea & he comes all the way from England to drive a flathead powered roadster,instead of his 225mph+ factory MG race car..............

10. I like MGs but a Flathead land speed car is pretty hard to beat for cool. :D

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sure wish Farmer would get the rest of those wonderful images online. I have a couple of great books from that period...

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

The amazing thing about Gardner was that he was in his mid 60s when he set the record,and probably would have set more if he hadn't had a cerebral hemorrhage.The sly dog was married to a woman half his age,too.Live fast,die old,and leave a young widow.Pretty cool....