Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Sanford Maine drags in the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buford36, Nov 14, 2011.

1. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

2. pitman

pitman

Lots of early and later entries there!
    Thanks for the walk thru Sanford's pioneering times.

3. Cool pics! Thanks for posting.

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

some great east coast cars there. great history. thanks for sharing

5. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Excellent.Really enjoyed them.
    Nice time travel.
    Thank you.

6. Awesome pics!

Thanks for the link.

7. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Great pics and memories. I went there as a kid almost every sunday in 64,65 and 66. Never had a camera to take pictures. I only lived a couple miles away across the bluberry fields and woods.

8. spiker

spiker

Wow. You talk about bringing back memories. There was even a picture of Joe "The jet" Jacksons, A Fueler. He got killed out west the following winter. I saw a ton of cars that I remember. Like Steve, my older brothers brought me all the time to Sanford in the early sixties. Who had these pictures, Tom?

9. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

A friend of Tim Dube son, He sent them to Tim, Tim to me etc, Did you see the young Don Garlits? The Green Monster? The Hayseed was in there a couple of times. Tom...

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Sanford was on my list but it never worked out for me to make it, always regretted not making a stronger effort to do so. Saw many of these cars at Orange, CT Dragway, and Indy. Maratta's coupe [#8], A&B Speed dragster [#104, 132], The Bluebird coupe #62, 63], Miller machine, Garlits, among others. Believe that channeled full fendered '34 coupe [#48] is still running, original builder ran it on the mile and a half at Loring. A lot of classic iron in those pics, brought back many fond memories, thanks for posting.

Ed

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    elgringo71 likes this.
  11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing

12. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those pictures were great. We have known the Malicoat Brothers (gary and jerry) for a few years now but had no idea that they ran at Sanford. So cool.

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Great pix, great memories.........thanks.

I used to frequently accompany my pal when he'd take his mom's '62 Impala to Sanford to run it. I think that's it (Honduras Maroon) pictured in the background in #108.

Got any old pix from Norridgewock?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  15. spiker

spiker

I was there when Garlits showed up towing an open trailer, this was before he made it big time. There's also a picture of Paul Emack's 57 Chevy, he later sold it and started running an L88 powered 64 Corvette. I remember the day the Orange Peel tried out a new transmission called "B & M'. He pushed the drive button at 7000 RPM and put the car right on the push bar, he almost went over backwards. I'm still trying to figure out if the blown Model A is Dick Cushings. I used to watch the "Bear" beat Batchelor and Cullinin's 63 Chevy just about every week. Memories, Memories, memories.

16. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

WOW! Thanks for the pics.

I lived about 20 minutes away from there....love Sanford Maine!

BTW- Are they still doing the Sanford swap meet in the spring and summer?

17. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

img133.jpg or #46 of 144 of shows a Chevy with what appears to be a truck axle in the rear. Was that common?

18. kisam

kisam

Thanks so much for sharing! Those pictures are priceless.

19. Thanks brother.......nice pic's.

20. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

I used to live in New Hampshire in the early sixtys.I was good friends with Paul Emack.
    The Model A in the photo is not Dick Cushings.I ran the Model A with Dick back then.
    The car was not chopped and never ran a blower at the track. We tried running a blower at the Garage but did not go to the track with it.Funny story about that on the first
    start up with a bunch of guys all around the car.I set the timing about where I thought it was, because the lower pully did not have a TDS mark on it.So we cranked it up and the blower back fired (KBOOM) look around and all the guys were gone.Funny to see. Joe.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Fab stuff! Thanks a million for sharing!

22. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Great stuff. Love the 57 Vettes at the end and of course the Willys coupes. Thanks for posting !!!

23. 32Chevy vett

32Chevy vett

Hi spiker I have most of the cars in the photos on DVD. From 8mm film I took.
    I have that wild wheel stand by Orange Peel. You can see the sparks from
    the rear bumper. Holy Sh--. You can't get higher then that.

24. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

25. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Yep I remember when the anouncer said Don Garlits had just arrived and within a few minutes he was looking at the track and starting line. Then came back with the car and made his first run. Set new strip record of 195 mph. I think the et was around 6.5. Garlits said sanford as one of his favorite strips because of long shut down area. the runway was 5000 ft long.

26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Great pictures! thanks for sharing

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

fantastic pics. thanks for posting.

28. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

this is awesome . i got to show my buddy Vaughan . he used to work there in the 60's. thanks for the pics

29. Thank you for those shots of our heritage and grand history.

30. spiker

spiker

I would love to see that. Is there any way you could have it put on Youtube? These pictures brought back some of my best memories as a kid. Back then I was a GM fanatic, it would crush me when the Bear would kick Bacheldor's Chevy's ass week after week. If I remember right, Bacheldor's car was a 427 running A/FX, but the motor had 409 porcupine heads on it. I could go on for days about Sanford. Branebow Olds hopping up and down, Jack Doyles dragster with the coupe body, 1320 Engineering Special, and one of my favorites was when the Speed Sport Special showed up. Oh well, thanks Tom for posting the pictures.