Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Iowa highway 30 in 1959

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOLY SH_T! Can you imaging being perched on that ladder zipping through those girder bridges and meeting Diamond T's pulling a load of hogs heading to market at 60 miles per?

BTW, why does Route 66 get all the attention? US 30 (Lincoln Hwy) and US 6 (the red line across America - as stated by Jack Kerouac in "On the Road") are longer and older!

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

4. great stuff!...this is almost like a movie in itself...thanks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

5. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

Awesome video!

6. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Cool find! I love all the old gas stations & the car haulers full of Ramblers and Caddilacs. I just realized how long this video was - better hit pause & grab a beer.

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

8. AllenK

AllenK

Cool video! I love driving all the old U.S. Highways. I grew up alongside US 67 "The Broadway of America." You can still find some old relics from the time when 67 was the main road before I-30.

I love to find old road alignments also.

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

You can still drive that section of road. They restored that gas station and restaurant by Colo and its cool !! Maybe if I get a chance this summer I can go reshoot the video.

10. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

That was one of the coolest parts of Hot Rod Drag Week, we took lots of old routes including US 30 from PA... oops "Penna." to Columbus

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am enjoying watching it as I am old enough that I can remember when there were still alot of 50s cars still on the road,its almost like I am about 4 years old and watching the scenery through the windshield in my dads 55 Ford.

12. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

The Tip Top Tavern is still on the North side of Lincoln Way in Ames. Nevada looks about the same today. Lots of these towns are recognizable but today show more than 50 years of aging. Thanks for posting. Cool stuff.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  13. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

14. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

thanks for sharing................traditional roads!

15. Arominus

Arominus

Hot damn! i love how they are following around a 58 plymouth! haha nice vid!

16. orange52

orange52

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

It still kinda looks like that in many places in Iowa ;)

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

unfortunately, that isn't the case. The livestock facilities are gone, you seldome see cattle grazing and the trees/fencelines have been bull-dozed. That is due to the specification of the farmers.

Many of the small towns are almost ghost-like. Without a strong livestock industry with the operations being small, there is not much commerce at the local crossroads.

Progress, I guess.

20. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Sweet, for younger guys like myself this is about as close as I'll ever get to experiencing the 50s :)

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truckloads of new Ramblers and Caddys are great, and that railroad underpass right at a curve reminds me of the deadly one described in Felsen's "Hot Rod".

22. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I don't recall anybody ever writing/recording a song about U.S.30 And U.S.6. Now "Route 66" is another story.

I get a kick out of the narrator going on about how all these planned improvements will allow towns to better plan their expansions. Time has proven that to be B.S.-all those relocations and by-passes killed all the little towns and their business districts. What I wouldn't give to be able to drive thru some of those places now with all the gas stations, garages, restaurants, bars right onthe main drag-the highway thru town.

23. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

It's because of what 66 represented at the time of the great depression. It was an excape route out of crime ravaged "slum town" Chicago, shocking poverty thru the farming communities of the mid-west, and the dust bowl of the south west... Following 66, you could excape all that to sunny southern Cali where the streets were paved with gold.

No coincidence that from the 20's untill the 60's, the population of so-cal went from a few million to somewhere around 20 million!

24. Great video!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

25. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

very cool ! i live in marshaltown and used to travel that road to ames every day and still drive it quite often ! there are still several of the buildings i recognize from the video in state center ! and a few years back i was involved with the restoration of the signs for the motel , cafe , and gas station in colo as i am a sign maker by trade and redid all of the neon for the signs ! anso have done alot of neon repair for the tip top lounge located in ames ! very cool to watch this as i am young in age at only 34 but can totally recognize stretches of road and buildings

26. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Did you see the 29 cent gas sign? I can remember 19cent gas wars. Cool post.

27. Very cool! Such happy background music.

28. chubbie

chubbie

Thanks for sharing! if you look at the sides of most roads there is a "curb" and the shoulder of the road is maybe 6 inches higher than the road surface!! I remember this engineering blunder! when it rained this held all the water, running to the low areas. so you had a road surface that had 6 inches of water in it.. hydroplane!!!!!! I had big "meats" on the back of my car, when you would meet a car you had to run the rear wide tires up on the shoulder!! when you came back down at 60 MPH it threw you all over the place! memory says it was in the 1970's that the removal of the curb was completed and the roads were made wider

29. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wow just watched a little farther ahead ! wish we would have seen this video durring the restoration of the signs in colo ! the top of the sign w the ice cream cone was no longer there and instead of eat it is nilands cafe w the word cafe in neon instead of eat ! i believe the motel one is correct looking at it , and there is also another motel one right as you come over the bridge which rotated at one time but they didnt want to spend the money to make it function again so its stationary !

30. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 3 or 4 minutes in a brief shot of a sweet Travelall pulling a horse trailer.