Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Found Footage... The Corvette at Le Mans!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Pretty damn cool.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow Ryan nice entry!!! Was that Zora with the white hair and black clothing?

How cool would it be to have one of those Chevrolet/Corvette or Cunningham signs from the pits? Also are the pits just located on normal streets when it's not it use? Like if I were driving in france could I just pull off into that very same location?

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's awesome! I love the solid axle cars and they look so tough with the hard top on and those kidney beans send it over the top! Thanks to the mystery guest.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

so, Ryan....is this the year that you're going?
    ...take it from an aging rodder,....go now....just go.

6. Sent that link to my Pops to make sure he sees that. Wow. Really neat stuff. Yes, those wheels and that stance on that car are so so BAD ASS

7. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

This is the kind of stuff that makes the HAMB so great. Thanks for sharing Ryan.

8. mgbtc

mgbtc

Great stuff. One of my all time favorite museums was the Briggs Cunningham in Costa Mesa. All of his personal stuff, race cars and all. I understand most of the collection went to Balboa Park.

9. jrose7004

jrose7004

That's really cool!

10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

To Damn Kool!!! I say to myself where does he come up with these vintage films.... In this case you don't even know.... Just Amazing! Thanx again Ryan, Cheers

11. That was very nice Ryan. We used to drive the snot out of those solid axle Vettes on those old skinny , hard 6-70-15 'Stones. Mostly cuz we didn't know any better, couldn't afford any better and didn't give a rats ass anyway.

Great clip.

Charlie

12. Outstanding. What a nice step back in time. Thanks for putting it together for us.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Now, this is exactly the kind of stuff I like. Thanks for putting the effort into saving it and posting it up for us, and an even bigger thanks to whoever sent it to Ryan to begin with. Cool stuff.

14. aojo

aojo

was that cool or what? I love the narrow tires making for a wide stance...very cool shots of the pit area also. Brilliant stuff..

15. bob-o

bob-o

So awesome Ryan! Thanks for sharing :)

16. toml24

toml24

Where are Corvette's #2, #3, and #4 now?

17. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Thanks Ryan!

The stance on those Corvettes is so right!

18. That is cool someone just mailed you the footage anonymously, but it would really be cool if you could talk to them and ask them just a few questions. How odd is it that they sent it like that?

19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

On a side note I liked the tunes, so I went to Mark Schottinger's website and downloaded the album for free, It's got some cool tracks on it.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It happens a lot actually... Three four times a year it seems.

Mark is one talented dude...

21. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was rad! I'm gonna watch it again..

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That was really neat! Thanks for that! Cool video

23. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

Great Movie, Great soundtrack.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

24. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Very cool! and i am not even a Lemans kinda guy...

I especially love the black '57 chevy outside of the garage... guess it was the company's knock around town car...

thanks for sharing!

25. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

thats a keeper for me, thank you much Ryan

26. Labold

Labold

27. autobilly

autobilly

I'm diggin' these video posts lately, yet another very cool one today!

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thanks for posting Ryan, one of the few times i've seen Mr. Duntov in film.those corvettes are badass,thank you

29. Holy Crap! These are really cool!

I think that the fellow with the white hair and black cloths probably is Duntov (though I though originally it was John Fitch) with Bob Grossman. I was friends with Bob, and though I didn't know him then, I can say he was a big guy and he did say he had to squeeze to get into that ride.

It kind of looks like the shots were done either pre/post race, but the filmers must have known someone as I don't think that you could be as casual as to walk up to where they were preping the cars (even though they didn't do much prep). Most likely it was pre-race though.

Ryan, I would love to see more of that film if there is a way. I was amazed to see the race footage because Bob and I often spoke about how cool it would be to see something.

Though I have retold it before, the most amazing bit about that race is that the last few laps in the Fitch/Grossman car were done with an overheating engine. One of the mechanics opened the radiator cap when it came in, which overflowed. The rules only allowed authorized re-watering so they had to go back out with out the cooling system topped off. to keep the engine cool they would come in every lap and pack dry ice around the block to keep it from totally overheating.

Good ol hot-rodder ingenuity.

Thanks for sharing this Ryan.

30. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

So many cool little details to see in the footage. The guy with the bread sticking out of the back of his bicycle panniers, the mechanics breaking for lunch or something, the fact that they just pulled up to the pumps in a local Shell station to refuel the racing cars before the race ...

Dammit. I'm having thoroughly inappropriate ... feelings.

:cool: