Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Golden Nugget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is a beauty!!!!!!

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Was the 52 like the 50? Where they were a Sunliner with a hardtop grafted to them? I LOVE simplicity.........

4. Awesome cars. Another that springs to mind is the Dragoo( I think) Merc. It has the K.I.S.S. thing going for it too.

5. Real nice cars, but Jimmie´s -54 beats them both in design.

6. Gaters

Gaters

The "less is more" route, gotta love it on this beauty.

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice lines .. I am a fan of simple to me.. it seams a lot harder to make simple stand out..

8. Labold

Labold

I know this is a simple custom compared to some others but there is still a lot of work going on there. Looks great.

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Nice.
    I had this one for a while. I really like the grill on the one you posted. That is one beautiful ride.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

It is like the saying " Walk softly and carry a big Stick". Great execution of the less is more factor. It is funny how some have to try so hard to be cool yet others carry it out with little effort. Great examples of a Kool Kustom. Thanks for posting.

11. Louvers are for hot rods not customs. Customs are supposed to be smoooooth.

12. Rikster

Rikster

Best statement I heard in a while!!!

The car is very nice though... but the louvers should not be put in there in the first place.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love hardtopped Vics!!!! Hoaward/Vaughan is probably my favorite custom of all time.

14. froghawk

froghawk

The '52-'54 Ford hardtops are great looking cars, and restraint is definitely the way to go when customizing them so as not to obscure their nice lines. I like the Quesnel car a lot more than the "Golden Nugget." Though the grill treatments in both cars are fantastic.

15. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

realy like this car

SakowskiMotors likes this.
  16. man that's sweet...Jimmie's still comes out on top

17. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Sweet, low, and easy on the eyes! Beautiful ride. Normally not too crazy about louvers on a kustom but they work on this car.

18. Holy Cow....
    I used to hang out at Walt's shop after school. His was the one local shop that would do custom body work and paint jobs. If there was any one guy who made the cars in the magazines come to life right in front of my eyes, it was Walt.
    What the feature in the magazine didn't mention was he built another '52 for his wife to drive. Pretty much the same style and components, but her's was a convertible. In the early spring of 1960, she decided it was time for something newer, and the Ford was offered for sale. Well, not really, cuz I offered to buy it before Walt ever put the add in the newspaper. My only request was to hold it for me untill I sold my '39 Buick. The big sedan was gone the next weekend, and the convertible took it's place in the garage.
    For you sharp eyed guys, you have already noticed both cars used '54 upper valances. The grill was from an Honest Charlie catalog and parking light lenses were early 50's Packard. I used station wagon bumperetts on the rear and added a 1/2 tonneau over the rear seat.
    It was low enough to require the inner fender panels and drive shaft tunnel to be modified.
    If there was ever a car I would like to have back, it's this one.

Attached Files:

19. One56

One56
    from Sweden

At first I didn´t notice the louvers, but in this case the car if we discuss details , I could live with them.
    And in my world I´m open for louvers on Customs.
    Remember Jimmie Vaughans Cad with slicks in the back.Was it a custom, or....

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Love those '52-'54 Vickies. My dad has a '52 Victoria that has been sitting on my Grandparent's farm for over 30 years and he always wanted to build it. It even has a Merc. Flathead in it! Too bad it's been sitting so long that it's pretty much a parts-car now.

The one you posted is a Great mild custom example!

Malcolm

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the car, louvers and all. Everything works. It's not whether Vaughn's is better than this example, more like they both hit the mark. Chocolate, Vanilla.

22. I would love to redo my Vic closer to that.?. :rolleyes:;):D

23. Beautiful cars both! The second car was featured on the cover of either Rod& Custom or Car Craft in 56 or 57 and is the most beautiful shade of purple I've ever seen.And for what it's worth I like the louvers on the hood.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yes.............and no........

Nice car, but the louvers remind me of similar cars at local cruise-in's, usually with some name blazed on the decklid, like "Teen Angel" or some crap...haha!

25. I had that issue of Rodding and Restyling as a source for inspiration when I collected parts for the Ford -54 that I had between 1989-2006. I guess many of the "real oldtimers" here remembers it as I made a lot of "in the works" posts about it in the very early days of Hamb...
    The idea using Packard side trim and the Mercury side spears for the -54 came from the "Golden Nugget"... Ron Hensley here at Hamb helped me to find Packard trim (he did also like the idea and had the same idea for his 53 Ford). Almost all parts were found with help from HAMB. The grille I had in mind were closer to the one on Jimmie Vaughn's car. Rik Hoving did help me to vizualize the ideas and gave good input with some of his own ideas. The intended color scheme for the 54 was a green metallic to the lower part of the body, a color very close to the one that later was used for the "Rad Rides by Troy" built Ridler award winning -36 cpe. For the top I had a ligther hue, with a bit more gold in, of the same color in mind. For wheel covers I was going to use -53 Cad. I was even going to get a ht roof skin to get a better line for the rear of the roof...
    Due to a sudden drop of interest in my project, and almost everything else, I sold it just as the sectioning body work had started (my interest did return slowly after a few months, I worked way to much those days, got "burned out"..). The new owner/builder that finished it, my friend Tore Persson, did a good job. He did of course not stick 100% to my plan, it was his car now, but at least some of the ideas was kept. One of them being the use of Packard and Merc trim that I supplied with the car. The grille idea of the finished car, the choice of color and wheels are of Tore's own design and ideas. I agree with my full heart of what Rik says that louvers will not be an improvement for a custom like that. I say that since I heard ideas from its new owner (after Tore sold it) of putting a louvered hood on the old -54...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  26. Retroline

Retroline

Yeah, the louvers stood out for me. Otherwise a nice example.RPW, its a shame you didn't get to finish yours, it still looks clean for now.

27. von Dyck

von Dyck

The one piece rear window is much cleaner looking than the three piece. Also, connie-kits don't belong on any car - way too tacky. Appletons from my perspective always look like "add-ons" from Almquist or J.C.Whitney. Why are they even there? The '52 to '54 Fords/Meteors are handsome automobiles to begin with - remove some of the make-up (not add more) to make them look even better. Sit them level (with or without skirts). Tail dragging them disrupts the natural visual flow of their horizontal lines. Coupes and Tudors could use a 2" roof chop for nicer proportions. Just my 1.88 cents worth. And have a Happy New Year.

28. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

This guy doesn't. Understating is understated.

29. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Sweet! I love these cars!

30. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

In the words of Harry Bradley"Simple is better".You are able to see how everything flows.Does anyone know about the "Golden Nugget".Where in NJ was the car from?