Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 hudson terraplane sedan delivery..Rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mckustoms, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mckustoms

mckustoms

Just wondering if the hudson terraplane sedan delivery was a rare bird?
    I had a chance to get one quite a while back. Buddy of mine sent me some pictures and said all were for sale. Was on a farm in Mosses lake Washington many years ago. I have a polaroid picture of it. There were also many other old cars and trucks there too. Was looking through old pictures and found the hudson picture and just wondered how rare it was.
    Hav'nt ever seen another one.
    Steve///
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. sinticket

sinticket

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

[​IMG]

1937 Hudson Teraplane delivery trucks, purchased from Peterson Motor Company in Boise.

4. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. Check out the Hudson Essex Terraplane forum.

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

6. Weasel

Weasel

That's a very cool van, but it is not a sedan delivery - it's a panel van/delivery. Sedan delivery is a much misused and abused definition. Even the brochure call it a panel delivery. A sedan delivery is made on the basis of a sedan body and passenger car chassis. A panel delivery is purpose made on a truck chassis. The panel van shown was built on the 'Big Boy' 3/4 ton pickup truck chassis.

7. super-six

super-six

That would be a seldom-seen truck. I've seen only a few '37 pickups. I have a friend who sold a '37 pickup a few years ago for $10000 that was restored in the early seventies and needed re-restored. The panel-delivery is much rarer.

8. TERPU

TERPU

Don't wait on that one, that would be the coolest pie wagon around.

Tim

9. Is there another one right behind it?

[​IMG]

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

I got a soft spot .. okay, maybe a hard-on, for anything Hudson/Essex/Terraplane realted. I didn't start out that way, but HET stuff just started migrating my way. I'd be thrilled to own that beast, especially if it was sporting a 308.

11. Weasel

Weasel

With Twin H setup.:cool:

12. Oh my, a Hudson panel- that's hottt.

13. I spent many years in the H-E-T Club and never saw one at a local or National event. One came up for sale outside New York City in the early 80's, but after checking it out, I decided to pass. Owner was asking $5,000 at a point in time where $1,000 would have been over priced. I have a couple photos I can dig out if you're interested in seeing another rusty truck.

OK...I found the photos I took in 1969. Looks like it was a '38 or '39 rather than a '37. No matter, rare is rare no matter what year. I wonder if the factory added the additional openings to the grill to aid in cooling?

By today's standards, it looks pretty damn nice, but believe me, in 1969, for the $5,000 asking price, a guy could have bought a fully restored coupe or sedan. A truck in need of a complete restoration or Hot Rodding, this panel was a $500- $750 piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  14. eye bone

eye bone

Sure if not to much trouble, I would be interested in seeing those photos.

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I don't think "rare" even begins to cover it, personally...

16. Elrod

Elrod

That's a cool truck! Wow.

17. mj40's

mj40's

Wonder where all these deliveries went. The candy store is still in business.

18. mckustoms

mckustoms

I wish I would have bought this now. Would have made a very unique ride.
    Ya, I would like to see the photo's mentioned. Also there were many other photo's. And a 4 door ragtop in a barn. All are low quality pictures taken with a polaroid pull out photo camera. I will try to post up some of the other photo's this weekend....
    Steve///

19. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

terraplanes in general aren't all that common. the panel trucks gotta be pretty rare.

20. Never saw one live and in person, only in pictures.

21. Hemmings Motor News Terraplane Panel Delivert

[​IMG]

MODEL 70 COMMERCIALTERRAPLANE "SIX"

The 70 series is the commerical vechiles. The wheel base is 117 inches and they had 96 and 102 horsepower, were 6 cylinders, had a bore and stroke of 3"x 5"
    This included the Custom Panel Deivery, Station Wagon, Utility Coupe, Utility Coupe Pick-up, Cab Pick-up, Utility Coach, and the Chasssis with Cab. We have also seen the Canopy Express mentioned, but have been unable to find any further information. The serial numbers for the 70 series are 70101-708001.
    The commerical car has a rating of three-quarters of a ton or less. The major difference in mechanical specifications between the Tplane passenger and commerical cars are as follows:
    The major difference is in the spring suspension. Commerical cars have two two additional leaves in the front and five additional leaves in the rear springs. These spring changes do not apply to the Utility Coach or the Utility Coupe, which have slightly lighter springs.

You can see by the serial numbers that there were only 7900 Commercial Terraplanes built in 1937 between eight body styles. If they were evenly distributed that would be less than 1000 per body style. I am think the panel delivery was alot lower maybe less than 500. I'd say that is pretty rare. Go Get That Thing!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  22. Any kind of panel whatever itiz would be cool. That thing has some beautiful lines.
    I've seen one Terraplane coupe street rod at a car show here. It's gotta be rare.

23. mckustoms

mckustoms

Don't know if it's even still there. Been over 20 years ago. Probably long gone by now I would think.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  24. That Hemming's truck above was in their museum when when we visited in '06.

25. [quotePoconoRat;3605794]That Hemming's truck above was in their museum when when we visited in '06.[/quote]

I wonder if it is the same one McKustoms photographed 20 years ago?

26. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Hemmings bought theirs off of Bill Albright. Any commercial vehicle built by Hudson is rare. The ones that are in the Candy store picture are 36's not 37's. The 37 has a way better looking grille, if you can get it GET IT.

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've never, ever seen one. If they weren't rare when new, they certainly are now.

28. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

20 years ago! ........and my wife says I procrastinate. :rolleyes: If it's still there and there's anythng left it would be a minor miracle.