Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Jersey QQ license plate help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I need to go to Trenton and get some of our cars registered for QQ plates and would like to know if there any tips I need to know, I know I need pictures of the front and side but will cars with no fenders work? Do they need to be original car photos? I'de hate to drive all the way down there and not be prepared, thanks.

2. I'm not sure this is a help, but you can just go to the DMV and get a collecter car registration form (I think thats what its called) I have done that with 2 of my cars and its less of a hastle then going to Trenton. The downside, is that they try to limit how you drive your car to 3000 miles (Again I think). Up side is its a simple $25 fee at the DMV.

Also you can register your cars as street rods too. I think this is the same process as QQ plates, but there is probably a bit more latitude for the type of car.

3. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I know someone who was trying to get QQ plates on a T Bucket. When the DMV guy looked at the pictures, he said the owner needed to get Street Rod Plates. You would be better off showing pictures with fenders on.

4. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

How do they know what you're showing them pictures of?

5. They don't know, but they aren't stupid. Even the nice old lady who helped me knew what a 29 A sedan was. Thankfully she said to "have a good time with it".

6. Oh, about that form you pick it up at a DMV office. I couldn't find anything about it online (or anything about the street rod plates for that matter). But it does get you around the showing picture thing.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

The street rod plates don't have all of the advantages of the historic tags. Historic there is no inspection, where street rod is saftey. Historic is a one time $50 fee, the others need to be renewed yearly.

8. Guys - i went down to trenton last spring when i put my t on the road. I almost got f'd when i showed them the actual corner shots of my car (luckily the girl thought my 1 year old son was cute and let me pass). If you aren't stock looking bring the 4 corner shots of a stocker or a milder hotrod. The whole purpose of the picture is to make sure the car looks stock!. If it doesn't you are not eligible for QQ. I know some people that have wasted trips and gotten screwed on this, i lucked out.

Be careful - once they decide your car is not QQ material it will be hard to go back and have them decide different. You'll end up having to go streetrod/special purpose and that has a pretty rigorous inspection process.

I've heard the pictures get filed under the VIN if you fail so going back with a different set of pics would be challenging.

btw. I'm such a dumb-ass. This is one of the pics i brought with me.
    [​IMG]

9. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    I've gotten historic plates for several cars. Go to Trenton with title, insurance info, pix of car and they give you the plates in a few minutes. They send you real registration later (it takes about 2 weeks). If you don't want to go to trenton, you can do everything thru the mail, just call the DMV ( # is on website) and they walk you thru the process. I've never had any hassles, but if you have pix of car with fenders, I'd suggest you use those. FYI, personalized historic plates have one-time $90 charge. For an old car, I suggest what Automotive Stud says, go for historic plates.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Was there also a "kick me" sign taped on your back?

You have to think like a low level bureaucrat--You don't really think they give a crap about the details of all the stupid rules, do you?

A bureaucrat has one primary job--Not to think. They just obey the rule book and really don't care about anything as long as they won't get shit for being helpful or acting like they care about you.

They just don't want a bunch of shit to come down on them from above. So, just give them what they want, filler to stuff in the file, never to be looked at again. Keep your mouth shut and and everyone's happy.

11. haha.. might have well have been... :)..
    -zoomies
    -open wheels
    -open engine compartment

What a f'n dumbass.. All my buddys laughed when they saw the pics i brought with me..

At least i can help someone else learn from this mistake. I'll say it again:

THE PURPOSE OF THE PICS IS TO PROVE THE VEHICLE IS STOCK LOOKING.. Not just that your trying to register a chevy blazer as an antique car to get by on cheap insurance!

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Are you using a historic insurance company as well?

13. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Thanks guys, I went with grundy they were a hell of a lot less then haggerty with much better liability for the money. I have about 5 cars to do at once 2 with fenders the rest will have some sort of a stock look :) I want to go down rather then mail them so I can get rolling hopefully this week. Now where is that Henry Ford picture book.

14. WildBill54

WildBill54
    from NEW JERSEY

When i went to register for the QQ's they wanted a pencil rubbing of the vin plate too. Just a little FYI might save you a trip home.

15. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

ck your pm

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Oh ya don't forget your 18 forms of id or else they wont even let you in the door.

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I don't know....I've had about a dozen cars with QQ's, and not one has been stock. The car is still over 25 years old, even if it is changed around a bit!
    Last time out, I registered my 51 Ford PU, and my 61 Dodge. Went right to Trenton to do it. Changed over the title, and registered them. My PU was a mess, and I didn't pay a lot for it (and didn't want to pay taxes for more than I paid for the truck), and I brought pics that showed it the way it really was. No problems at all. Since you HAVE to register the car when you change the title to your name, I reminded them, sometimes you buy a bunch of parts that won't be a car for months, or years.
    If the clerk gives you problems, see the manager.

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Ok, here is what I did....When I registered my 29 Ford I sent pictures of the car, Motor Vehicle sent me back a letter stating that I would need "Street Rod" plates. So I went to a show and took a few pictures of a stock Model A and then mailed them in, in 3 weeks I received my QQ plates.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stop by and we can wire some fenders on there or take a pic of the wrong roadster by accident...

20. You can always find another car like your own but stock. Probably at sundays englishtown swap meet. Just take some shots of the sides, front and back and underneight. Make sure not to include the guys licence plate !!!

Who ever said street rod plates and QQs are different is completely right. I beleive the Street Rod plates need also have a certification of safty. Probably by NSRA.

Just stick to QQs. And for the miles, If you do sell the car after you get the plates and the milage says more than 3000 a year. you will be fined.

Also you must include a shot of the Milage counter for QQ plates...

Just what i remember after the hasle of the 47. Hell regular plates/insurence are only $250 for me for the whole year, on the 54 chevy!

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I never heard of a MILEAGE FINE ???... also never has have a shot of the speedo??? ..Please show were it says that in the rule book

Most limits on driving are based on Insurance Co ..Good ones like Grundy have no limitations... car can not be used as a daily driver

22. How the hell would they inforce mileage anyway? My car doesn't even have a speedo! (I didn't tell motor vehicle or my insurance company though).

Also - I use American Modern http://www.amig.com/ for my insurance. Their rates and service are good and they are a Gieco partner. Just another option.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Also you must include a shot of the Milage counter for QQ plates"

I'll go through the heap of deuce speedos and find one that'll give you a few thousand extra miles...you'll show negative mileage when you sell, and the state will owe you...

24. Photo of "mileage counter"? I've never heard of that one (tho I only got historic plates. I bought my cars out of state and when I got titles transferred, they asked the mileage and that was it. The only photos i needed where the of the car, front/back/side views. Last car I registered was last August.
    I suggest you call there first. They are very nice people and easy to deal with over the phone. THEY will tell you exactly what you need to bring.

Good luck,
    Dave

25. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

I never heard of the milage thing either ... I just make sure i bring photos of a stock car and a vin rubbing ... last time the girl didn t even ask for nothing from me... a just bombarded em with everything i thought the might ask for so they didn t question me

26. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

NOW THAT THE BEST STORY I HEARD SO FAR !! .... I ALMOST PISSED IN MY PANTS

27. Eddie Eggs

Eddie Eggs
    from New Joisey

I called 877-368-6548 (DMV) and they sent the applications in the mail, they want insurance info, copy of bill of sales, and 2 pics. They claim it takes 4-6 weeks to get your plates. Hope you're not in a hurry.

28. I have heard that they do enforce the milage thing, but again, if you just have your car registered as a collector car then you don't even need to get QQ plates. They just do a cursery inspection.

Maybe I should hold my toungue though, as the other cars that are registered like this have fenders. I'll repost when I pick the sedan up and get it inspected.

MRAK

29. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    With QQ plates there is no inspection, ever.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

30. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

LOL, With ALL the cars I have had QQ plates on, I NEVER had to take pictures of the mileage, or speedo, thats rediculous.