Register now to get rid of these ads!

Peoria IL 1965 Wild Wedge Altered - anyone remember this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phillips, Oct 27, 2010.

1. chuckb41

chuckb41

Are you saying that the car has been found????

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it was wishful thinking by wingnutz, since the Meltdown drags are this weekend in Byron. It would be great to see it run at Rockford again. Or do you have some info wingnutz?

3. chuckb41

chuckb41

I would certainly fly out to see that.

4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great pics and story guys! thanks for posting. sure would be kool if the ole hamb could turn up that altered.

5. Not found... just wishful thinking!

Many of the old drag cars have been dug up out of barns and garages these past years and not far from where they raced.

I have a "hoarder friend" that has Drag Willys coupes, Anglias, Henry J's all shoved in his barn and they'll NEVER see the light of day until his family sells it off after he dies... many have raced Great lLakes Dragway, US 30, Michigan, and a couple were competitive on the National circuit with records and trophy's.

What a waste sitting there when they could be on the tracks running exhibition or on an active show circuit.

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While it would be great to see the cars out on the track, your hoarder friend deserves a round of thanks for keeping the cars from being scrapped, plus if they are stored inside, so much the better. Although I hope they get sold before he goes, and not scrapped by the family after.

Perhaps he would let you take some pictures to share? I would be happy to come along!

7. I agree but his family would rather scrap them for the quick cash. So in a sense... it's like paying the cannibals to eat you last! It's inevitable what's going to happen and if he doesn't anticipate the outcome it plainly displays his ignorance and carelessness towards these historic pieces of Americana!

And I agree that he should let me in there with a camera before his demise so we all can enjoy what he has gathered over the years.

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep working on 'em wingnutz, even if only a few get saved. Once the physical portions of history are gone, all that's left is memories.

9. chuckb41

chuckb41

Bump -- any news?????

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing to add, except a link here to results article from Cordova World Series results, '65? Wish they had more detail in the article. Cool to see the other names there that year like Bleeker, Ditmar, Selkirk and Wasson.

Link courtesy Drag Racing Online

http://www.dragracingonline.com/columns/baker/xiii_8-8.html

11. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I've nothing to add here of any substance, but I want to mention my appreciation of this thread for the memories it provoked. I knew Al Mears and Dick Hampy pretty well back in the day before I moved out of East Peoria. Lots of us car guys met at Mac's Cafe on Friday and Saturday late nights for bench racing sessions, and that included Al and Dick. Dick is gone now, but I understand Al is still with us, but back down south where he grew up. I can't remember how many times I helped get Al's gravel-filled spare tire out of his trunk on his '56 after he weighed in ... LOL!! Thanks again.

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Barry! I have the Hot Rod (1965-66?) with the Mears and Hampy 57 around here somewhere, I'll scan the pics If I find it.

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Chuck, do you think this is the Wedge starting at about 0:30 in this footage from Peoria? Good profile shot at 0:36.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CEEpGhpsiIE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  14. chuckb41

chuckb41

I think you are right. We were the only altered running a direct drive, everyone else used at least 2 gears of a transmission. We left the line in a cloud of smoke like the dragsters. Other than the 2 rails, this is the only other smoke show on the clip, but I don't see the chute come out. I don't recall that we ever did not use the chute at Peoria because of the relatively short, slightly downhill, mostly gravel shutoff with a sharp right at the end. I would guess it to be 1965 and am 95% sure it is the Wedge. Wish they would have shown the chase truck following the car down, that would have nailed it.
    Did anything ever come from the guy early in the thread whose father ran a bantam altered at Rockford and he said he had films?? The picture of the Wedge at Rockford is passing a bantam in the left lane.I had hoped that he might have come up with some footage.

15. bpitch73

bpitch73

My dad is Denny Pitcher, he passed away a few years ago. He used to tell me stories about this car. I may have some pictures in storage, I will have to dig through and see if I can find anything. I would love hearing any additional info on this car as well.

16. chuckb41

chuckb41

I would love to hear from you and see any of the pictures you can find. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Chuck Burt

17. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you found this thread! As a courtesy please do an intro thread in the new members section. Hope you can find some more pictures, that would be great and much appreciated!

18. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Chuck, I viewed quite a few old youtube videos during bouts of insomnia, hoping to catch a glimpse of the car. No luck yet beyond this one. Regarding the video from Rockford, VonH will post if he is able to see the tape again, there's only one copy known out there.

19. chuckb41

chuckb41

Bump. Just heard from Harley's youngest son, also named Harley -- but not Jr. I hope that we can come up with more pictures and or videos for him and I still hold out hope that the car can be located.

20. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Chuck that is cool that you heard from his son. Hope we can turn up more info.

21. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Does any one have any pics of Gordy Selkirk's 34 Ford coupe that he had. A friend of mine bought it from him in the early to mid 60's.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Does your friend still have it?

23. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

No, last known sighting of it was around Cedarville, Orangeville area in a basement garage and it was in pretty rough shape. Originally had a Olds motor, then a Pontiac and finally a Chevy.

24. last g-man

last g-man

My wife went to high school in Matawan, Mi w/Gordy Selkirk's son, Reed. He sent the circa '61 b&w pic of the '33 Willys to her after Gordy passed away last month. Internet search of Selkirk & Bork team brings me back to the HAMB [ha! no damn surprise]. Gonna get in touch w/Reed & see what other info I can drum up on their cars.........

25. last g-man

last g-man

.....UPDATE: Reed Selkirk [Gordy's son] found the '33 Willys & is very actively pursuing the current owner to purchase it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool g-man hope it works out.

27. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

What a great post of guys tracking down the history and the people involved in a very cool car...glad I stumbled over this one! 426 MoPar wedge...incredible.

28. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

(What a great post of guys tracking down the history and the people involved in a very cool car...glad I stumbled over this one! 426 MoPar wedge...incredible. "honeyman")

I will second that statement, just love these history posts and am amazed at the people connections that develop.

Chuckb41, can I ask you a question? A 426 wedge with direct drive setup were you running nitro in that beast? If so, do you remember percentages, cam specs, compression ratio, etc. What did it take to make that Altered run?

I am amazed at how a few young guys in that period could put a pretty involved car and combo together and run it reliably week after week? In todays world, it seems like everyone over complicates things. I feel like it was, in a way, much simpler back then to work hard and "just do it".
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

29. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i grew up in the peoria area and did a lot of unsanctioned raceing i remember some pretty serious cars from that area naramores king rat camaro, larry shepherds agitator, art hatfields 57 chevy, the gang from hanks standard in bartonville. anyone else remember some of these cars

30. chuckb41

chuckb41

We never ran the car on Nitro -- pump gas only and always Gulf Crest premium from a sponsor. I have no idea what the cam specs were. Isky was a sponsor and initially we filled out a complete spec sheet on the car for him and said "grind us a cam! He sponsored Powers and Riley and they knew he was lloking for a gas altered in the midwest to sponsor and set us up. Every time we ran the car, I would call Ed Iskederian the next work day morning and report where we ran, ET's and speeds, ambient temps, day, night, humidity, timing advance, etc. He would always ask what more we felt we needed.We were always answering "more mid-range torque. With a direct drive (no slipper clutches back then) there arrives a point where the tire ceases to spin and grabs the track. In a slingshot rail, the tires are right next to the driver and the solution was to tap the clutch at that instant when the tire grabs and the motor would bog down. Couldn't see the slicks on the altered, and thus we were asking for mid range torque. He would send us another cam and if it was better, we kept it and sent the previous one back. We started out running 10.30's in the high 130's. 3 or 4 cams later we were in the 10.0's and low 140's. The next cam out of the box raan 10.0's and 158 mph. We improved over that weekend by playing with timing, tire pressures, injector jets, and a temporary rear view mirror (to see the tire smoke) and got into the 9.9's and 160 mph. We continued reporting and several times, Ed would say "I have an idea" and a new cam would arrive. Some worked and some were worse, but we ended up running 9.7's at 163+ mph. The compression ratio was stock Stage 3 (10.5 - 11.0 to 1). Gotta remember that the Stage 3 was a race motor and built with goodies stamped with MoPar part #s (Forgetrue pistons, CSC crank, etc. Our biggest regular maintenence problem was the center main bearing inserts. It had the thrust surface controling end play in the crank. Dropping the hammer at 7 or 8,000 rpms would wear out the thrust surface in 3 - 4 weekends.