Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIRES, white wall tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Dec 7, 2003.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

I dunno if anybody knows this already. Wide white walls? Why buy them when you can make them. No paint, grindin. Buy skinny whitewalls, the take a sander and sand the black off around the white wall, be careful though, underneath the white there is more black. You can make your whitewalls about 2 inches or so wider by doing this. The process is kinda like buffing. Practice on some spare tires and you will soon get the hang of it. It cheaper then buying wide whites!! Here are some pics of cars that have it done to it!!

Attached Files:

2. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Heres another rod woth them grinded out!!

Attached Files:

3. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

heres my first car!!you can put wide whites on anything. I grinded these whitewalls out too!!

Attached Files:

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have a set of thin whites, will have to try. What are you using to sand and what grit?

5. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

i use a really old sander/polisher. I use maybe 40 grit or so, using that u can see scratches in the white wall. You can probably use any grit you would like it would just take longer. You can also do this on white lettered tires!!! Nate

6. Ron

Ron

I seen a truck at James Dean this year that he did the same thing. His looked a little rough but he said he did not spend much time on them. But from a distance they looked ok.

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

what if the white wall is raised? Can you sand it flush and will it still have white? Do you just sand from the inside edge and inward, or the outside too? How thick is the white inderneath the black?

DAMN this is cool if it will actually work for me, Thanks!

by the way, I HATE that car and LIKE it at the same time just cause of the idea and comedy, those functional pipes and spots?

8. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

got any more pics of that first car..??

9. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

When you sand the white wall you sand the raised whitewall and sand them together i geuss you can say. I start on the black. The white is not that thick underneath the black so dont keep it in one place at a time. Yuo will learn if you practice. Thats my vw golf, it had all white fur and leapord interior! I dont have it anymore sold it. Nate

10. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

here some more pics of that merc. Its my friends Dave Paras out of mass!! Nate

Attached Files:

11. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

I got the chance to drive this. It has a 350 with a 4 speed standard!! One of my favs!! Nate

Attached Files:

12. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

i have more, but heres the last one ill post!! Nate

Attached Files:

13. TINGLER

TINGLER

Man, that sounds preeety cool.
    Can you possibly take some pics of the process?
    Maybe with some pics of the tools involved? I can figure it out from what you have written, but It would be easier if you SHOWED me.

Cool post.
    JT.

14. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

i can but i would have to get my sisters digital camera, and that would be a few days. Pm me whoever wants pics and ill try to get some to you!! Nate

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

this has come up a few times before, i was thinking someone brought up some saftey issue??? and i think there are some ppl that havesome sort of jig and do this professionaly.

if you can do it safely -- spose with out digging to deep is the only problem??-- then yeah its a great deal

later
    tim

16. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

You probably only take out a 1/16 or 1/8 of rubber. I know guys hwo have been doing this since the 50s and never had safety issues!! So i dont kno why there is a safety issue!! Thanks for your input Nate

17. I might have to give this one a try.

18. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Its very simple and easy once you get used to it. I can do 1 tire in about 10 minutes now. Its ALOT cheaper too, thats why i like it!! Nate

19. Any thing I can do to save $$$ is great.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

So how do get your outer line to be crisp on the www?
    Just wondering if you tape it off or have a template?

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I really don't quite understand. The way I understand this is.. please correct me if I'm wrong. You get a thin white walled tire, and take a grinder to the black edges around the whitewall?? Is there white under the black at that area?? How do you keep the edges straight and smooth looking?? Could you please post more pics of that black 35..cool car! Could you do a step by step with pics? that'll be cool.

22. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Alot of the ones I see the paint cracks and looks really shitty after awhile. What kind of paint do you use?

23. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of paint do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT paint?? there isnt any paint involved

Petejoe: I believe you just grind past where the rim covers so a nice line isnt needed, but I could be wrong

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah thres white under the black to who ever asked.

and as far as a nice crisp line, i think he was asking about the out edge;)

good topic keep it going

25. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

so with the raised skinny whitewall, theres enough white underthere to sand deep enough so it's smooth? what kind of sander? DA, Random Orbital? If I know exactly what i need to do I'll go get a shitty roller ww and give it a shot. Seems like you'd go through alot of paper even if you use the coarse shit.

26. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

Wonder If you could just drive with your tires against the curb for awhile...just kidding [​IMG] Good tip I will have to try that, I remember seeing a show some time ago that I believe stated all tires are white to begin with, then coated in black to keep em from lookin cruddy from dirt and road junk...ever seen all white tires?

27. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

do you just leave the outside line where it is, and take off towards the rim?

28. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

There's a guy here in Phoenix that cuts tires, does some nice work, I think Scooter's pickup has cut ww's on it.
    -Jesse

29. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Ill try to get some pics tonight, and post them for you guys. The entire tire is not white, there is only a certain amount of white underneath the black and if you grind the black off the top of the white it will give you a nice line. The sander i use is very old, I dont use paper i use disc. It doesnt gum up at all! Ill try to get some pisc tonight and post them for you guys to check out step by step!!Nate

30. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

What about black wall tires? Are they white underneth the black as well?