Register now to get rid of these ads!

Peoria IL 1965 Wild Wedge Altered - anyone remember this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phillips, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been amazed at the information discovered on the HAMB, particularly involving old race cars. My father in law and I often talk cars, and I have been pushing him for information about his experiences in the early 60s. He did a fair amount of "un-authorized" racing with a 265 powered 55 chevy and later in a 326 powered LeMans. He also spent some time helping his cousin, Harley Doubet, who ran an Altered out of the Peoria IL area called the "Wild Wedge".

The car was powered by an injected 413 based Chrysler (corrected by Chuck, it was a 426 wedge), and apparently had a fair amount of success. He ran at Cordova, IL, Kahoka, MO, somewhere in Michigan (they were in the IL Air National Guard, and brought the car on some Guard duties so it may have been at a track near the base at Alpena, MI); presumably Milan MI, US 30 (Indiana) and I am also guessing it ran at Alton, IL due to the proximity, and possibly the eighth mile at Beardstown, IL.

They did run once at the Boondocks strip outside of Peoria on a match race against the National Championship winning Willys gasser of Selkirk and Bork, also out of Peoria.

The car was in the March 1966 issue of "All American Drags" magazine out of Chicago as well, and I would love to find a copy if anyone has any leads.

I am told that eventually Harley partnered with a person with the last name Pitchard or possibly Pritchard on the car around 1965-66.

Family responsibilities and the career at Caterpillar called my father in law out of racing. The 413 was set to be replaced by a Mark IV Chevy, tragically, Harley was killed in a shop accident while working on the car. My FIL remembers that the partner took over, but we haven't discovered any additional information.

The pictures posted were found on the web, on a photo account by a 'randyoldgeek', and are labeled as being from Kahoka, MO. The Selkirk and Bork car is shown, because you can see the transporter for the Doubet car in the background. It is pretty distinctive for the era, particularly since it is an enclosed trailer. I attempted to get more information from the person who took the pictures, but the account has been disabled and the pictures are no longer posted. If 'randyoldgeek' would like me to take the photos down, I will comply.

I am curious about the construction of the car as well, and the frame/roll bar look very similar to other Altereds I have seen. Logghe chassis?

My FIL is an all-around great guy, and the last time we spoke about the car he really got going with the memories, mentioning not only the car in question, but also seeing Selkirk and Bork, Myers and Hampy, the Greek and other midwest favorites. I would love to be able to share some more photos or memories of the car with him. If anyone has any more information, stories, photos, or the ultimate - information on where the car ended up, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. I don't have any specific info for you as the cars were before my time. It's possible that Harley Doubet was connected up with Courtney-Doubet, a local IH dealer, or Doubet Window & Door, a (surprise!) metal window/door/awning manufacturer.

"Bork", I believe, was connected with Bork & Sons, a well-known local metal recycler in the '60s & '70s. The facility has since changed ownership and names several times.

3. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Homespun. Harley was the son of Ed Doubet, from the seed company of the same name, which is just outside Hanna City. I don't think the family is involved in the company any longer, but I am not certain.

4. motage

motage

That 23T looks very much like a car I owned and raced here in S.E. Mich back around '79-'83. I will have to dig up some old pics.

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Found this..................not sure if it helps at all.

www.dragworldusa.com
    817 296-1819

All American Drags

This page updated 10/15/10 All items are subject to prior sale

As always, Buy 10 magazines or newspapers, take 10% off
    Shipping: 1 magazine $3.00 2-4 magazines $5.00 each additional is $1

@@@ NCS= NO CURRENT STOCK @@@

EX = Excellent As New
    VG = Very Good Really nice copy
    G = Good Nice issue, some wear, mailing label etc.
    G- = Good Minus Not as nice, but decent copy
    F = Fair Complete but worn
    P = Poor Usually very well worn with problems, still complete
    I = incomplete Condition varies from VG to P but incomplete, usually missing
    the center, However, if you need a specific article and don't
    need the center then it's a good deal for you.

All American drags

This is a very rare title from the Chicago area
    Very seldon do I have stock!

Vol 2 # 2 Feb Cover: Larry Ricco "Itilldo" B/G '55 Chevy & article
    Jack Thomas S/SA Dodge. Dart charger construction
    NCS

Vol 2 # 3 Mar Wes Koogle Dependable Dodge, Hydro-Motive, Harley Doubet A/A, National Association of Drag strips Banquet, Fords
    &Les Ritchey, Bud Roche "Guzler"

G $35.00

6. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks model.A.keith!

motage, please let me know when you are able to round up your pictures!

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Did the car ever race at Rockford Dragway? (byron, IL. now car Byron Dragway).

If it did much, I might have it on video. A friend of mine is in a similar situation trying to find his grandfather's injection 426 wedge powered 32 bantam A/R.

the footage of it is around '66 there were T buckets in the footage along with the bantam.

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Von Hartmann

It would make sense that he ran at Rockford as well, I will ask my father in law. Also he did mention that it ran in a different color as well, gotta find that out also.

BTW your artwork is excellent, the spray bomb helmets you did inspired my 15 year old to flake our garage fridge.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

The partner on the altered was Dennis Pitcher. [AKA "Buffalo".] His family owned the grain milling company in Peoria. Dennis is now deceased.
    The chassis and such was built by Powers and Riley, out of Iowa.
    [I used to spend time w/ Buff and Harley, and was there just before Harley was electrocuted w/ a welder.]

The gasser 57 was owned by Al Meers and Dick Hampy..
    The other altered that was from the area was owned by Bill Johnson & Jack ??. Ran out of Bill's house/shop in E. Peoria. Was BBC powered.

10. motage

motage

Just typed a long reply only to get timed out or something! Awrgh!!!! I have some pics and some info. PM me I will call you. I hate effin around typing when I can still talk.

11. Motage, one way to do long posts is to type it in Word or some other program & copy & paste to the reply box.

Another way is to type it out in the reply box...but, before you hit send, highlight it and "copy" it..then hit the reply button. If you do lose the post, you can just paste it right back on and try again.

Love to hear it if you feel like typing it out again. :)

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Old Buzzard, that is great information! Any idea if they ran at Rockford?

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big thanks, PM sent.

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump, thanks.

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hey thanks, I'm glad my art inspired somebody to do something cool and productive.

16. chuckb41

chuckb41

I can tell you all about The Wild Wedge. Denny Pitcher and Harley Doubet were the original owners. I was the crew chief. Chassis was built by Powers and Riley from Dubuque, IA. Engine was a bone stock '63 Mopar 426 Max Wedge. Only non Mopar parts were the Enderle Injection and the Isky cam and kit. Long story as to why Harley bought out Denny (with my money) and the name on the doors became Harley Doubet. I have lots of pictures. Car did race at Rockford. After Harley died in a welding accident when we were building a new trailer, I rebuilt the car and raced it until it was sold. Car was later changed to a hemi with a torqueflite Trans. We ran it with a Donovan direct drive.
    Email me at [email protected] for more.
    Chuck Burt

17. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Hey... I know Denny Pitcher, I haven't seen him in several years though. Still working on cars - last I knew.

18. chuckb41

chuckb41

We did run Rockford several times. Here is a picture at Rockford in '65

Attached Files:

19. chuckb41

chuckb41

The car was painted in metalflake red by Noel Mauer in Dubuque, IA and lettered in hand turned gold leaf by Fred Hazelrig in Peoria. This is the only color we raced it in, and sold it to Ray Bristol and Len Hendrich from Peoria. The last time I saw the car it was still the original color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  20. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chuck, thank you so much for replying to this thread, this is more information than I ever hoped to receive. And finding out the chassis was built by famous Iowans Powers and Riley, (builders of the reverser) is so cool. I sent you an email and hope we can speak next week. Thanks for posting the pictures, they are great!

The power of the HAMB is amazing.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an update, thanks to all who replied, and special thanks to Chuck Burt, one of the original partners on this car! Chuck provided me with some GREAT pictures and lots of information, I will post pics soon.

22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FINALLY getting around to posting more photos:

All pics courtesy of Chuck Burt, one of Doubet's partners back then. Can't thank Chuck enough for his valuable info and great stories (I will add those eventually as well)

Peoria IL 1965

[​IMG]

Peoria 1965 match race vs National Champs Selkirk and Bork gasser.

[​IMG]

Peoria (later Boondocks Dragway) 1965. Photo by Bob Coyle

[​IMG]

Rockford May 1965

[​IMG]

Peoria

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More photos from Chuck Burt:

Chuck in the trailer, very nice setup for the day!

[​IMG]

Cover of All American Drags, a short-lived Chicago based publication. (The old Pellegrini Mustang, later Dick Lohr on the cover, also the Selkirk and Bork Willys, not sure what the slingshot is).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice detail shots of the FI:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harley and Chuck: (at US 30 Indiana)

[​IMG]

Cover of Drag News!

[​IMG]

24. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more from Cordova...

[​IMG]

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very cool!!! Thanks for posting. My oldest brother ran at Rockford, (Byron), Dragway and Cordova, back in the mid 60's. My second oldest brother ran at Boondocks and Havana.

Does anyone know if this car still exhists? How about the Selkirk and Bork Willys? Seems like Selkirk and Bork also ran a 40 Willys, at one time? Last I knew there are some Selkirks still living over in Canton ILL.

26. chuckb41

chuckb41

Last time I saw the car was in '69 or'70. I was a field engineer for Ford based in St.Louis and Gene Bristol (one of the 2 partners that I sold the car to) called me and said that they were coming down from Peoria to race at the strip in in East St. Louis and wanted to know if I would come help them. I jumped at the chance. Bythis time, the car had a hemi and torqflite and the formerly solid rear axle was sprung. Have not seen or heard anything since then. I was 24 - 25 years old when the above pictures were taken. Gordie Selkirk was in his late 50's - early 60's. I doubt that he is still with us. Saul Bork was probably in his early 30's and could very well be still alive. Since I no longer live in Peoria, I am somewhat out of touch. Hope this helps.

27. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for jumping back in Chuck! I wonder the car is still around in some form.

28. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6 month bump! Thanks again HAMB.

29. Glad you "bumped it" now only if we can see it run at Byron this weekend....