Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Info and pictures needed of "sylvester" 32 show rod from early sixties! !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lazyv8, Jan 4, 2012.

1. lazyv8

lazyv8

A local shop is restoring an old show rod built here in the bay area in the late 50s and shown in Oakland in 61' ... and was on the cover of car craft somewhere around the same time. does anyone have any pictures or info on the car?? they have some photos but are in need of more for documentation .."SYLVESTER" Is a deuce roadster With the doors and deck lid molded shut, Also features 6x2 nailhead Tube frame and full torsion bar suspension.. it was candy red supposedly painted by joe bailon .. it also featured a sylvester the cat on the cowl side with a huge magnet in his hand,the car is being restored and will compete for the AMBR THIS YEAR!!! Trust me it is way bitchin'...
    Any info or pictures Would be greatly appreciated.. I don't have or cant find a picture of the moment to help.. thanks guys!

2. how about some pictures? You say they have some, so quit teasing us.

3. lazyv8

lazyv8

Can you read??? I don't have any at the moment I will try and get some later
    .. thanks

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey, got any pictures? :)

5. lazyv8

lazyv8

Haha!!! Uhhh yea!

6. lazyv8

lazyv8

sylvester was owned by Gary Kidwell of castro valley

7. Got any pics?

8. lazyv8

lazyv8

Thank you jimmy! ! Anyone else know anything about the car? Wait till you see pics of it done...I can't leak any till after Pomona..

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how 'bout some pics of before they started on it???.

10. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Here are a few pictures...the first two are artist renderings by Robert Neumann, a friend of Paul's. Robert found the car dis-assembled and stored in a garage in San Franciscio, and told Paul about it. The 32 sat torn apart and all but forgotten for about 35 years, during which time the owner died. Paul bought the car in 2007, with plans to fix it up and drive it. After finding the car had an interesting history, he decided to bring the car back to something closely resembling what it was like when it was shown at the Grand National Roadster Show in 1959 and 1962, except that the workmanship and finish is being done to current day show standards.

The last two pictures are of poor quality, but one shows the car as it appeared at the 1962 GNRS, and the the last one shows the car as it appeared a few months ago, in construction stage. As Lazy V8 said, the 32 is really lookin' great now! It was a fairly well-known custom around the San Francisco Bay Area back in the late fifties-mid sixties. Hopefully some of you old timers will see this and add pictures or info

Attached Files:

11. lazyv8

lazyv8

craig may have some before pics of the roadster...it was all in pieces but most of the important stuff in tact,this car in the day had some pretty modern features..

12. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Went down to the shop, talked to the boys, and shook some electrons outta their computer, so here are some more pictures of the roadster as it appeared back in the day.

Attached Files:

13. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

A few more pictures...the first one is at the Grand National Roadster Show in Oakland, 1962. The others show the car in found condition. It was rough! The body was stored standing on the firewall, and the frame was leaned against a wall of the garage, which was located about 2 blocks from the ocean in San Francisco.

This is an all-steel car. The doors and deck lid were welded shut and filled in the fifties. For its day, this was a wild car, and the workmanship was first class, but things have evolved in 50 years. The car was named Sylvester when it was shown in 1959, and was re-incarnated as Sylvester II when it was shown in 1962. Sylvester will come back as Sylvester III, and the workmanship and finish are once again, first class for the current times. Only about two weeks to go before the Grand National Roadster Show, and the car will be there, shown in the AMBR class.

Attached Files:

14. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Sorry...I'm not a computer nerd, and I guess the picture I tried to upload from the 1962 show is too big. If I can figure out how to size it smaller, i'll post it here.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

16. lazyv8

lazyv8

Thanks for posting craig! You autta be proud of Marcus, he really has alot of talent and great taste..its been a pleasure helping him and Paul with Sylvester.. this roadster is gonna rattle some cages in a couple of weeks..you hamb geeks just wait!! The craftsmanship is nothing less then first class..it will definateley have the most chrome in bldg. 4!!

17. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Gotta keep this thread goin' on the off chance there's a geezer amongst us who might remember a little history about Sylvester. Here's some more stink bait in the form of a couple as-found pictures, and a peek at part of the new construction on the chassis. The guys at New Metal Kustomz (in Cotati) swore me to a vow of photographic celibacy regarding posting of current pictures of the car. Understandably, as the car show gets ever closer...it's only 10 days till they have to have the car there...they'd like to keep it under wraps so the first public glimpse will be at the Grand National Roadster Show.

Squeeze those brains, and see if you can cough up any pictures or memories of this car from the late 50's and 60's.

Attached Files:

18. lazyv8

lazyv8

now i can put a picture to the story of them finding sylvester propped up on its firewall...classic

19. lazyv8

lazyv8

we need the oakland 61' pic craig!

20. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I just talked to David Fetherston this morning, down at New Metal Kustomz. He's going to be putting together the build book for the show. We've been delinquent, getting info to him up till now, and with only 10 days left, it'll take a serious effort to put together some good pictures of the build over the last several months, and some of the history on the car for the book. Fortunately, David is familiar with the drill, and he's not a new face to the automotive publishing scene. Paul and Marcus are too busy finishing the car to deal with this, but I'm retired, and I've got the time. I've got some names and phone numbers of old-time hot rodders who will remember the car, so I'll try to contact them. I'll post info and pictures as I get the stuff.

21. daddio211

daddio211

Nailhead powered '32 with trunk and doors welded shut? It's not the same car, but Tex Smith's buddy has a VERY similarly constructed car here in Southern Utah.... Jim... Uh, can't remember his last name. He posts on Hot Rod Hotline as the Hot Rod Doctor or something, real nice guy. He has a HUGE treasure trove of old car show photos, and may be able to offer some additional insight.

22. daddio211

daddio211

Of course, with only 10 days left I'm a little late in MY offerings, sorry. :(

23. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Thanks...any leads we can get are much appreciated. I'll try to look your guy up. Meanwhile, I'm slowly gathering a little more history. Like you pinted out, with less than 10 days now, till the car has to be at the GNRS in Pomona, there ain't much time to do much more background hunting and get it in the build book.
    Craig

24. daddio211

daddio211

25. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Thanks...I sent an e mail to Jim, so we'll see if he has any info. I've gotten a little more history on the car, and hope to have a few more old pictures tonight. I'll post the stuff soon.

26. R&C RON

R&C RON

Brandon and Craig .......Here is what I've been able to find so far.......​

Oakland show 1961 ,the blonde model is sitting in the Kidwell Roadster
    [​IMG]

Program listing for 1961
    [​IMG]

Listing for 1962
    [​IMG]

San Mateo show 1961 (39' model A???)
    [​IMG]

Hot Rod Magazine 1962
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo is from Andy Southards Oakland Roadster Show (1961 show)
    [​IMG]

27. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Wow! That's what we're talkin' about! Thanks, Ron...tonight, I got to talk to the lady that Paul bought the car from. She came up to the shop from San Francisco to see the car, and brought along some old photos of the roadster from back in the late 60's. They're pretty much the same pictures we already had, but I was able to take pictures of the pictures with my gimpy little camera, and I'll post 'em here. These pictures might show up better than what I've already posted. Or not.

It's great to be able to catch up with history on the car. It's really looking good as it nears completion. The guys are hoping to fire up the 401 Buick engine tonight for the first time. They said it might be as late as 4 A.M. before they're ready, but it'll happen tonight if at all possible. The neighbors are gonna shit bricks when that booger lights off with straight zoomie headers and has to run at 2000+ RPMs for 20-25 minutes to break in the cam.

I'll definitely post pictures of the finished car right after the GNRS so anyone who isn't able to make the trip to Pomona can see how it turned out.
    Craig

Attached Files:

28. I got to ask why the new style frame? Why not restore it with the original? I'm not trying to start shit just curious as to the reasoning for the update besides competing for the AMBR.