Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy throttle linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigtone, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Bigtone

Bigtone
    from Indiana

Just installed a split manifold on my 235. Sweet looking manifold, but I've been every which way with the carb linkage and it always hits somewhere. Also, the bellcrank is VERY close to the rear dump. I'm to the point that I'd go with a cable set up for now if I could make it work. The problem is I 'm running a Rochester carb that the linkage needs to go up to open the throttle. Has anyone used a cable on a 235 chevy with this type of carb. Any help and any pics would be greatly valued.

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Can you put up a picture? Can the hook up be clocked opposite on the throttle linkage.Example, if it points to 9 o'clock to push up can it be reversed to 3 o'clock to pull down.I've flipped and flopped the linkage to these one barrels to figure out the path of least resistance..

3. Bigtone

Bigtone
    from Indiana

I'll have to look closer at that. Thanks for the thought.

4. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

If you don't mind me asking, what brand manifold did you use? I am getting ready to purchase a Fenton and was wondering if I would run into this problem as well.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

Patricks Fenton comes with all the linkage and fuel kit. You wont need anything.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

..on my Edmunds 2x2 with Stromberg BXOV-2 carbs and Fenton headers

I whittled three arms out of brass and rebent and chopped the rod that runs up from the bellcrank

bought some adjustable linkage ends to connect the arms to the carbs

also moved the spring tab on the throttle rod to reposition the spring where it wouldn't rub on the exhaust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You can bend the standard linkage to make it work without binding anywhere. It just takes LOTS of patience. For what its worth, it took me about three hours of bend, fit, bind, bend again, fit, bind, bend again, etc..

8. Bigtone

Bigtone
    from Indiana

Thanks guys. And Paul---that is sweet.

9. DingDang

DingDang

I have an old Fenton intake with the "rod and bellcrank set up" similar to what Paul posted. I'm flirting with the idea of running a cable instead of the 1/4" bent rod. The rod pushes, but the cable set up would have to pull. I thik that there is room to flip the bellcrank that accepts the top part of the rod linkage 180 so that pulling on it would rotate the bellcranks to the throttle bodies up. I'm just not sure what pedal assembly and throttle cable would work best for this set up.

It looks like everyone who has been down this road before just bent the 1?4" and made it work.