Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Carson Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Yaril

Yaril

thanks!

towaholic look at post #91.

super it will be the stock trim front to back with the clean front spear not the "custom" one.

2. sololobo

sololobo

Thanks for sharing this special build, it is fast becoming one of the "new" classics. I am so impressed with all your touches and excellent skilled work. ~Sololobo~

3. igby

igby

did u use the original beauty rings for your headlights to the fender or are they hayden buckets? really like your look,some stick out to far. can u show how u did it?

4. Yaril, any chance this will make it to Daytona for the Turkey Run? I'm contemplating a Carson for my Caddy. Thanks man, you're the best...

5. Yaril

Yaril

look up my tech post. i did the same thing on my 51 Buick.

TRR is the short term goal. that will hopefully be my test drive / shake down. top will be unfinished and car might be in base coat no clear. but yeah im doing my best to make it!

tires arrived so the old white walls were removed, rims were sanded, epoxied and painted in single stage to match. new 6.70-15 Firestone's mounted and balanced.

[​IMG]

so the body is now ready to be installed my pal Leo sprayed a redish guide coat. the brakes are 80% complete and the front suspension is buttoned down. so the rest of the build will happen with the body on. we needed to do this so that all the gaps can be finalized.

[​IMG]

got a couple parts back from my local chrome shop (not impressed one bit). car is taking shape now. mocking up some parts on the car to trailer it out to a local meet just to show it off a bit. we need the time away from the shop, its been none stop and will continue to be none stop!

[​IMG]

we wrapped up tonight by spraying the dash and its parts in the maroon color, this time in base coat clear coat. also cleared the 51 Buick taillights and resprayed the 4 inner fender wells in white again base coat clear coat.

[​IMG]

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Perfect!!!!!!!!!.............I love the top thanks for taking the time and pics for us. This has helped me out with some questions I have for my top I am building. I am curious to see it when covered.

7. jerseymike

jerseymike

cars looking great, question though, what's the reason for clear coating the taillight lenses? thanks, jerseymike

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice work man,looks great!

9. hasty

hasty

Thank you for all the documentation - lots to learn from

10. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Yet another awesome Inspiring build on the Hamb...... I love you, haha

11. shoebox50

shoebox50

Looking great you sure have been busy!

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Great build thread. Love it.

14. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

15. Yaril

Yaril

those are the original taillights off my 51 Buick i had sprayed them in a purple candy so i had to sand off the paint and then the clear brightens them back up. in person they look like a jolly rancher candy.

thank you everyone for the kind words. we have been working hard on this car to meet certain goals. last night we trailered the project to our local monthly hamburger meet. there was crowd around the car the entire night. some even asked how i drove it there (even though it has no seat or steering wheel) and others said they loved the paint job. they were saddened when i told them this was primer with a guide coat and it was getting painted like the dash. im sure they will change their mind once they see it in full color.

well thanks everyone. today i am not working on the car, i will snap some pics of what it looked like last night (trim mocked up, inner fender wells and dash in car). gotta work on customer cars today, Sunday, yup gotta put in work.

see ya.

16. Looks way bitchin' man, keep up the good work!

17. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

18. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

great tread ! :eek: very inspiring !

Thanks for sharing tricks with us ! All those pics are very usefull for guys like me :D

19. Yaril

Yaril

glad to hear you all are enjoying the build. thanks you!

well Daytona TRR is around the corner. i am focused on making the car run and drive now. most of the work now isnt picture worthy but ive added just a few. have been wrapping up the brakes, steering (the box is over at shoebox Ford thanks Chris!), wiring, fuel lines ext.

[​IMG]

i bought one of these low mount Mr Roadster alternator brackets wishfully thinking it would work on my application. not the case, but a little cutting and welding got it there. had to lengthen the adjusting arm and i added a thick top brace welded to the spacer and adjusting arm. it feels very sturdy. hope it will work.

[​IMG]

here is a shot of the rear, most of the car mocked up.

[​IMG]

20. Still looking good. Keep at it. I can't wait till she's done.

21. that is one sick shoe can't wait to see the end result!

22. Yaril

Yaril

so this weekend i took 3 steps back but 5 forward. decided to cut off the last 3 ribs on the roof frame. they just were not working correctly. Paul Bragg was nice enough to help me out in getting much better flow into the back part of the roof.

before shot, see how its a bit "peeky" for lack of better words. the profile is fine but not the contour.

[​IMG]

after shot, now its got a soft curve going all the way to the crown. everything seems to mend nicer going into the rear tray now.

[​IMG]

then it was time to make the 2 sails so the material wont flap around or have wrinkles.

[​IMG]

glad i kept the old roof around. see i dont have an English wheel so i have to use what i got. simply my cut off wheel and the right shape off the roof will do.

[​IMG]

using the orignal roof skin worked nicely it curves around the back and is sturdy. next step will be some chicken wire!

[​IMG]

so Daytona TRR is 2 weekends away. here is the run down. my steering box should be back this week, then i can wrap up the exhaust manifold and install some exhaust! the driveshaft is ready so ill get the at today and installed. the wiring is about 80% done. brakes need to be blead and adjusted. front end needs the alignment shop. seat is being upholstered this week. glass needs to be made. rear shocks need installing. im sure i forgot a million other things. point being, the car WILL be at Daytona! so long as i can have it running the night before at least, then i will load it up and trailer it up. i can not see myself risking the drive in a car i havent put 1 mile on. my "test" drive will be from the hotel parking lot to the track. the car will be in primer / guide coat with trim, bumpers and vent window along with the roof skeleton installed. i hope i can make all this happen in time.

23. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

This thing, in full gloss, is gonna be Top Shelf. This is a great example of how hard pays off. Ofcourse, it doesnt hurt to have style to spare either... Nice work!!

24. Rikster

Rikster

Great work Yaril... The new softer (larger radius) corners look so much better than the high tech looking pointy once.
    Glad Paul was able to assist you.

25. Yaril, can't wait to see this thing in the flesh. See ya on the 27th...

26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Fantastic work! I really like the flow of the new improved roof.

27. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

wow this thing is looking great

28. The Argento

The Argento

Suscribed! This is one interesting project, I'm really loving how's it going.

Keep going, man! :D

29. bob-o

bob-o

x2!!!

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Fantastic build so far !