Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty 55 chevy gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Hows yer 55 project comin?? I agree you're nuts but I'm absolutely entertained.:cool: Hats off to ya.

2. Yeah..........inquiring minds want to know!! How's that project coming??:)

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Here is some inspiration for you Nitrohonky: Went to the local curise spot with the '55 and the new 350hp, Thumper cammed 350ci motor. I even let the wife drive because I was drinking beer. Lots of fun.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

The pics say it all don't change a thing Tex:cool: Does it lay rubber now??

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes it does...........The pie crust cheater slicks are pretty sticky but it will roast them.

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's definately worth it to save a car. Mine wasn't quite as bad, but I did have to replace some of the inner structure inside my 50. I know I'll feel a lot better about having done it right when I'm finished. Pics have one side finished, I did the same to the other side also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hello yall
    I'm still on board with this project, but it has been in a holding pattern since about March. I promoted at work, so my schedule has been backward and since my last update I have completely blown apart and almost finished rebuilding/ restoring an early 60's canned ham trailer. Trailer was about as bad as my 55...my neighbors think I hate myself! I have been collecting parts while the '55 project has collected wood dust from the trailer work. I hope to start hitting it hard by December...I will keep you posted!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. Your car looks great! Thanks for the pictures.

10. Looks like you have your work cut out for you too. I would imagine there is not as many panels avaible for the earier 50's gm bodies? I have to say I find it easier to rebuild a body than chopping/sectioning etc. Looks good!

11. 63gasser

63gasser

One thing is for sure when you say you built that car you are not kidding....great job!

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

was that the 55 car in hot rod mag where you guys were changing out axles in a motel parking lot?? A nostalgic drag or something close by??

13. motorhead711

motorhead711

Damn man, thats some killer work!!!

14. Give me about a month and the game will be on again!

15. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

16. Can't do much right now as I hurt my shoulder at work. I have been buying more parts and doing small jobs that only require one arm, such as the tedious task of spot weld removal. New rockers arrived today and they fit well. More to come!

Attached Files:

17. Here are pictures of progress at the rear package tray. Used more sections from the 4 door doaner car. Also pictures of the gas door structure (does not come with the new quarter. Last, some fitment work around the drip rail area.

Attached Files:

18. Last couple pictures...

Attached Files:

19. gotra66

gotra66

It looks great so far. Keep up the good work. I wish I had a fraction of the skills you have, maybe I could finish my ride.

20. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Way to perservere, great save!!

21. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

awesome build.f'in lot of work,.lookin to see it burnin rubber.go man go!

22. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Yes it is:D Thats HAMB Drags '09 at The Holiday Inn.

That sucks man, the shoulder I mean. The rust in this car is unreal you're gonna have a new car when its done! One piece at a time youre makin it happen

GO MAN GO!!:cool:

23. Wow... now that is dedication!

I love it!

Sam

More inspiration!

[​IMG]

24. Only thing that will stop me from finishing this project is death! And death is going to have to be every bit as German and persistent as I am! :)

25. I have a new welder, my air compressor is wired/working, and my doctor has lifted a bunch of my weight restriction, so I'm back at it.
    Here are some pictures of the rear deck final fitting, the new contour to the front fender wheel opening and if you look closely, you can see the 55-56 Chevy wagon folding rear seat mocked into place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Awesome work so far man!

27. theres hope for me yet !! Stay at it .

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

Glad to see yo back at it !

29. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Jebus christ your a killer!
    WTF am i sitting on my hands for? Good work man, I dont think i will EVER bitch about the cars out here in the desert ever again:eek:

Keep it up

30. 55's on the back burner again. I will post progress as soon as some is made. I have a feeling it's going to be a while as I have too many irons in the fire at the moment and need to get them out of the way. Back to collecting parts!