Register now to get rid of these ads!

Celebrity Hot Rods & Kustoms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Jan 8, 2010.

1. I wasn't gonna post this, but what the hell. Paul Revere and the Raiders Coach ...

[​IMG]

2. RubberGears

RubberGears

3. I've heard it said that her Father built the car for her, but I'm not positive. Centurion9

4. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Fuckk! Roy Rogers just gets even more badass.

5. Danny Gatton's '56 Crown Vic.

[​IMG]

6. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

The late Earl Bruce might have had something to say about that, here's his Von Dutch flamed Gull that had sports car purists shaking their heads back in the late 50's.

[​IMG]

7. customcory

customcory

8. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Another pic of Robert Stack.
    [​IMG]

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Jon Bon Jovi has a big block 57 Nomad and his sound engineer has a '32 five window seen in Rod & Custom.

Kirk Hammett, guitarist of Metallica has a very cool '36 three window featured in Rodder's Journal.

Bluesman Jimmie Vaughan has a custom 54 Ford.

As mentioned, Jeff Beck has a big collection of hot rods, featured in Rodder's Journal a while back. Only a few are pictured here.

Attached Files:

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I can quibble with that too. My dad bought his Gullwing new at Stuttgart in '56. The paint faded rather quickly, and my mother asked me to find a good painter to re-do it for my dad's birthday. I went to Barris, thinking that they could do custom paint as well as anybody, and it was painted candy blue by the same Junior Conway, who worked at Barris at the time.

11. PITRE ART

PITRE ART

Jeff Beck

12. Dar73

Dar73

Really Larry??? I feel like your pulling my leg and I'm not in on the joke. Let me take a moment to educate you. Art and Lloyd Chrisman are responsible for the coupe.(Period!) The only credit George Barris deserves is that he successfully f....d up perfection. George Barris is a hack that does not posses a fraction of the talent of his late brother Sam, but that is a topic for another thread.....

George Barris "expert customizer" .... i can't get past it. What a joke!

13. Dar73

Dar73

Furthermore, the car doesn't belong on this thread unless you consider Dana Mecum a celebrity! If you want info on the Chrisman Coupe search "The Greatest Car of All Time", it will surely be at the top.

George Barris.....WTF!

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

How about the cars of our own Jesse James?

15. bonesy

bonesy

Cool Story

16. Larry T

Larry T

Dar73,
    Lets see. I didn't write that, it's an article about sitcom cars on the tvacres website that I linked too.

I do have a couple of questions. If it was a viable and valuable racecar at the time, how did Barris get it? And I wonder what would have happened to it if Barris didn't get it?
    I guess 3 questions. Who's Dana Mecum?
    Larry T

17. Dar73

Dar73

Larry....again your pulling my leg, right? By your account the Chrisman Coupe was made famous by George Barris and the Dopey whatever show.? If it was a viable and valuable racecar? I will do my best to not insult you but I must admit your making it very difficult for me. Do your homework (stop looking at the tvacres website, whatever the hell that is). The car was responsible for many records at Bonneville in its day. Like most racers Art probably needed the money at the time and sold it to another racer who continued to campaign the car, who ultimately sold it to the movie studios. Keep in mind genius, the car was highlighted on every publication in its day. As for Dana Mecum, he is founder of Mecum Auctions. I would assume your familiar with the show if you have ever turned on the speed channel. FYI, he paid $660,000.00 for the car and I assure you it had absolutely nothing to do with Barris or that lame show.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  18. Larry T

Larry T

Dar73,
    Show me where I said the Christman Coupe was made famous by George Barris. And the point I was trying to make in my last post was that it probably wasn't being raced competitively at the time Barris got it or he wouldn't have been able to get his hands on it. And no one knows what fate it might have met if Barris hadn't done his deal and (I assume) kept the car as a show car. At least there was enough of it around to restore.
    The ironic part here is that I have a lot of respect for the Christmans and not so much for Barris, but that's kinda beside the point.
    And I don't spend much time watching cable tv, to much drama. Oh, wait a minute.....................
    Larry T

19. One of my favorite rock and roll heros,,Jeff Beck has been into hot rods for many years,,,HRP

[​IMG]

20. Dar73

Dar73

Larry, with all due respect it's Chrisman, not Christman. Your posting nonsense. You obviously don't know a thing about the car, so stop already. As far as hot rods go, this is to me and to many, one the absolute best. Needless to say, you hit a hot button. So, lets leave it at that. Unplug your keyboard and go away (maybe subscribe to cable....speed chanell, History, TLC, Biography....)

21. Ebert

Ebert

"Art and Lloyd Chrisman are responsible for the coupe.(Period!) The only credit George Barris deserves is that he successfully f....d up perfection. George Barris is a hack that does not posses a fraction of the talent of his late brother Sam, but that is a topic for another thread.....

George Barris "expert customizer" .... i can't get past it. "

I don't want to get in the fight, but I must agree!!!! I have actually sat in the restored car in Chrisman's shop when Joe McPherson owned it...THE BEST HOT ROD EVER!
    E

22. mal-capone

mal-capone
    from Australia

I was in Austin in 96 in Congress street across the road from "the Continental club" I saw a 49-51 Merc, flat black and roofless in a car park, Steve W told me it belong to charlie sexton, Steve also told me Johnny Depp had a chopped Merc once.

23. DMFB

DMFB

Man, there are some bitchin pics in this. Also, for anyone who cares. One of close buddies is a disc jockey for Webn in Cinci. He did an interview with Metallica a while back. He has heard me talk about James being a car guy a bunch of times, and I wondered if he wrenched on them. (He struck me as a guy that would) IN the interview, James mentioned something about cruising, and that struck my buddies memory of our conversation. He asked him if he built his cars, worked on them, or just bought cool stuff he likes. His answer was he has had some built, he has bought some that he liked, but wrenches on them all. He works with guys step by step on the stuff he gets built. He has great ideas, just not a lot of time. SO, to answer the question, James Hetfield does wrench on his own shit.

24. Larry T

Larry T

One last time and I'm done.
    I can see you're a Chrisman groupie (sorry about the spelling but sometimes I type faster than I think), so I don't expect a logical discussion. Like I said, I just pulled up the website and copied the article on here because the title of the thread was Celebrity Hot Rods and Kustoms, not "Your favorite Bonneville car EVER". And (to play the devils advocate) tv did ,and still does, influence folks. If you would have showed this car to folks in the 60's, they would have probably recognized the car from the show as much or more than they would have the salt flats. Yea, I was around back then and knew it from both. Were you?
    Saying that tv didn't count for anything would be saying the Kookie T, Life of Riley HotRod, Rick Nelson HotRod didn't influence anyone. Or that West Coast Choppers, Monster Garage, the Mecum Auction, etc. had no influence on anyone today.
    Larry T

25. team23

team23

Im new here but couldn't help my self on the chrisman coupe; I too have sat in that car when Steve davis was at Joe Mcphersons and needed someone in it for pictures at 6'3" it wasn't easy, But to answer Larry T's question here you go;
    The Coupe was sold to Harry Duncan, who refinished it in purple and continued to compete with it, although little is known of its record during this period. It was then sold to John Geraghty, and then purchased by George Barris, the 'King of the Kustomizers' in the early 1960s. Beginning its second life as a television and show car, Barris engaged Geraghty to install a fully chromed and supercharged Oldsmobile engine into the Coupe, while the suspension was chromed and the car was fitted with gull-wing doors. While controversial, according to George Barris, the radical door treatment allowed the car's use for filming, and in this form, it was used on the Dobie Gillis television show.

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Attached Files:

27. zombiehut

zombiehut
    from calgary

n512640405_405051_8904.jpg

Delmo's old 62 he sold to Billy Gibbons

28. Dar73

Dar73

Larry, your an idiot. Am I a Chrisman groupie....no doubt about it and proud of it! And your right, the thread is named "Celebrity Hot Rods & Kustoms....... so why again did you post the link? Your a moron and your second paragraph doesn't make any sense.

29. Being diplomatic by nature, I felt compelled to help bring some clarity to the situation regarding the Chrisman coupe's second incarnation as a famous TV car. Larry is well aware of the coupe's fame as a racer. I can assure everyone of that. What was being pointed out is that however the car ended up in Barris' possesion, he (Barris) transformed it into a TV prop for the Dobie Gillis Show, which was a very popular TV sitcom in the late 50s and early 60s. It became recognizable for a while as being the car from the TV show. The celebs would've been Bob Denver and Dwayne Hickman, two of the stars of the show. I think Larry was only pointing that out.

Was that a dignified way for that coupe with it's pedigree to end up? Shoot no! Larry knows that. However, a big part of Barris' business was making television prop cars. The kids who watched the show when it was popular took notice of the car in that form, while not knowing anything of its original form or history. Therefore, the car had a brief period where it was known for it's television fame.

So, all in all, the Chrisman coupe has had an interesting history. However, we are all very glad it has been returned to its more appropriate racing form. Hopefully, that's the way it will stay from now on. :)

Yes sir, mighty fine!
    [​IMG]

30. FatDave

FatDave

Let's not leave out Billy Gibbons' finest automotive creation...

[​IMG]