Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty 55 chevy gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Your dedication and determination go unsurpassed. Reading this thread brought me out of our Ravens loss. It shows that one can get a lot accomplished with "the power of an hour". A good friend just went through 8 months of a similar resurrection on a 55 sedan delivery but honestly not as far gone. A+ on sticktoitiveness. It deserves gasser stance and attitude.:D:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. CalGasser

CalGasser

Maybe you can name the car "RAT PACK" when you're done... :eek: :D

3. Herdez

Herdez

Dammm! My project was put on hold cause of rust too! Im now buying collecting all kinds of metal forming tools and welders dragging them into my area of shop. I started cutting and ended up so far with 3/4's of the floor gone and thats where I stopped so that I could have a car to look at. You make me a believer that it can be done one day.

Mine was the kind that sat in a junkyard for 30 plus years on a slope trickling water to one back corner and then on to the ground. Your doors remind me of mine too.

4. AWESOME...TOTALLY AWESOME! You nailed it!
    Thanks Jim

5. Only reason anyone looks up to me is because I'm so damn tall!:D

6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

OL 55, I like the Buick tail lights, I put those in my 55 that I owned a long time ago.

7. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

yep your tall still lol. but ya lots of good time hanging out growing up. just talked to lance Ray tonight. he has dusted off the 34 pickup. new american's on it. we RE-infected him. hes pumped up. we had him at a few shows drinkin beer with us, having fun. keep the pics coming bro. swap meets are comeing. Erik

8. What do I do now?

...just kidding!

Ordered new full quarters today to the tune of $1,708 shipped! Hope they fit!!!!:D

Attached Files:

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

These cars are worth fixing no matter what anybody says.............I could not afford a nice '55 2 DR post so I fixed mine.

You can do it!!!

Attached Files:

10. Funny
    Watching your project come together(which by the way turned out terrific!) is one the things that motivated me to get this car. Unfortunately, the rust in this vehicle just does not seem to stop. I took all that time to remove the outer quarter to find the mouse piss has made the inner panel a bit thinner than I can accept at this point. When I am done the only part of the original 2door body will be the package tray trunk hinges drivers side rocker panel and some of the roof support stampings otherwise the rest will all be replaced. So just mo-bucks and hard work...all it seems to take!
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

friggin madman!!!!! you rule!

12. What year buick lens are those?:confused:

13. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. For those who want to know how these panels fit here you go. The fit is great...not GM perfect with respect to parts of the stamping, but better than rusty crap. If anything, the stamping is a bit too crisp on the belt line and a bit too faint in the door jamb area. Overall fitment so far is excellent though. I was not happy when I opened the boxes as the pass panel had been crushed in shipping...also was not thrilled by the drivers panel pictured until I hung it earlier tonight. I tend to be a perfectionist, so I can be my own worst enemy. These panels are well worth the $ and are much better than quilting a rusty panel together. GAME ON!:D

Attached Files:

15. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

They are 1956 Buick lenses.

16. Thanks:D

17. At this point, I believe you are right! This car just has become more rusty every time I dig in deeper. Fortunately the main pieces I needed(2door only parts inside the top) were good. Those are the only parts I can use from the original body now!

18. Good job!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. I am not a bully or a bad-ass, but if more than one person corners me in a bar, I will just grab the bull by the horns and see if I am the rodeo clown who has the opportunity to write a biography!:cool:[ WORD!:D
    QUOTE=Scotch Buzzard King;4967052]Shit man. The 55 I bought needs 70% new body panels. I know what they say. The truth is we will never get our money back. I expect to pay over eight grand in body parts to pay for mine, but I tell you the truth its worth it. I'm a psychopath when it comes to this shit. I love rusty shit. That's just me. You can call me the Tin Man. I collect old tin to make it new again. You know what I'm saying?[/QUOTE]

20. Then I found out It was all junk too!:eek:

21. jessejames88

jessejames88
    from upstate ny

damn!! nice work! makes me feel better about fixing mine... just scored a set of fenders for free!!

22. rustyhood

rustyhood

Dude you have my respect!!! But a good challenge makes any builder better, and it looks like you found one. Where I respect you the most is you didn't turn your back on the rust dangers to procede with out correcting. We all love what we do, and you are doing it right!!! Good job just don't seem good enough for what I've seen in this build! Your progress on this shows you are one hell of a builder! Plus alot of nice 55 photos on here to!

23. Thanks for the kind words, but I have to say my pants go on one leg at a time! Anybody can do this; its purely mind over matter!:) I will say, it has been rather changing though!
    I like all of the 55 pictures others have posted too! Please post any(gasser, stocker, lowrider, custom...I do not care) 55 pictures here to help keep me motivated!

24. FREE...a very good price! Glad to hear about the good luck! Post some pictures of your project, I'd love to see them!

25. 56 gasser

56 gasser

Hey buddy looks like your gettin it done ...

26. My air compressor has no service, my welder is broke, and I am broke as a joke...and it's not funny. Maybe some y'all can share some motivational pictures!

27. Well crap. I'm going to link this thread to the ads for my '55 2-door hardtop, I thought it was just a parts car, but after seeing this, I think someone could build it.

28. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

you've got balls of steel for attacking that kinda project. at least you can rest assured it will be well worth the money when its done and the pride cannot be matched

29. Wonderful. I love seeing an old rust bucket getting saved. Having lived a few blocks from the ocean for a good chunk of my life, i seen to be constantly fighting the rust bug in my vehicles. I am so impressed with what you are doing.

30. My rear Halibrands arrived last week, and of course one was damaged:mad:
    Anybody dealt with Halibrand lately?