Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage go kart id help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donut29, Feb 6, 2010.

1. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I picked this up today at the Kzoo swapmeet. I have spent the last 4 hours looking all over the net and cant find any other one's like it. Dose anyone out there know who made it and what year Im thinking mid to late 60's

Any help would be great

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      497.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      508.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      499.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      513.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      496.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      488.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      495.7 KB
      Views:
  2. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Can't help on the idea but if you web in gokarts.com they will probably no
    I just built one for my grandaughter
    It's a RUPP and just picked up a monza ss that I'm going to restore and give to her on her second birthday this May.
    good luck on the find I'll check and see if I can find out something on yours and get back to ya
    FRANK

Attached Files:

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Thanks let me know if you find anything out

4. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

Thats a go left kart for sure maybe a margay or a bug???

5. toml24

toml24

I seem to recall a company in the late 1960s called "BUG" and their go-kart chassis name was "STINGER". I believe the company was in Inglewood, CA.
    Tom

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

BUG was one of the early kart makers. Was it Duffy Livingstone? Old age sucks. Don't know who made yours but I like it. This was one I had in the 80s. Got the frame from a friend and built the rest. Had an XS650 Yamaha for power. A little rocketship!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Don't know what it is, but it isn't a Margay.

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

it's badass, that's all i know.

9. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I think it is highly modified for circle track racing, and cannot see enough to make more than a guess at the original manufacturer. The narrow front hoop supporting the steering does look like Bug. They were/perhaps are in Azusa, Calif. on Irwindale Ave down the street from Go Kart Manufacturing. Tom and Faye Pearson were the founders.

10. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

throw a 125cc Honda motor in it, should do about 100 mph.

11. Bug Engineering is still alive and well in Azusa, Ca. on Foothill Blvd. It is still in the Pierson family who started the company in the late 50's. Tom and Faye's son, Tommy runs the company now.

12. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

K & P Engineering is still in business (Bug Karts) in Azusa, still run by Faye (Lady Bug) Pierson, and her sons John and Tommy. They are reproducing the Bug Sprint karts from the 60's. Duffy Livingstone founded Go kart Manufacturing Company in Irwindale, a competitor to Bug. I just saw Faye and Duffy last weekend at the Vintage Kart Reunion at Adams Kart Track in Riverside, Ca. We had about 150 vintage (pre 1975) karts, races, a kart show, celebration of the Adams Track 50th anniversary. Google Vintage Karts for more info-

13. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Well thanks everyone Anyone have a pair of rear hubs for a 1in axle?

It dose have Twister stiched into the seat if that can help any of you guys ID it. From what I can tell it looks all stock but the motor and motor plate look to be changed not long ago. There is also little rubber biscuits between the upper and lower rails in the rear.

It's going to get all taken apart sand blasted and painted heavy flake or some Candy not sure. Motors going to be a B&S Animal should be fun to drive around here and the shows

14. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Post some pictures on one of the Vintage Kart websites- someone might recognize it- judging by the heavy chassis, it may have been a concession (rental) kart in the late '70's- you'll also find sources for parts over there. Try Azusa Engineering in West Covina (they have a website)-they have lots of stuff- good luck!

15. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I found out it is a 69-71 Red Devil Side-winder Sprint Kart

Got it all striped and ready for some primer. I just want to have it done by spring

16. Traylor

Traylor
    from Phoenix

Call Terry Ives in Sacramento. He knows from first hand what all the old karts are and he probably has all kinds of parts too. He has gotten really big in Vintage karting.

Mark

Terry's shop number: 916-725-6776

17. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

18. waynus

waynus

I agree with it being a Red Devil. I bought a new one from Dismore's in 71. Blue instead of orange with a modified Komet K88

19. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Its NOT a red devil I had a guy call me it was build by a guy here in michigan some time around 72-73 he made about 20-25 of these

20. Elliot

Elliot

I have a go kart kind of similar to that. It is a lot lighter (it weighs around 65 lb with the engine, and when you lock up the brake it slides even if you only go about 5 mph.) There is a plaque that I think used to have info about the kart on it, but it's all worn off except for "erill" or something.
    If any one knows anything about what it might be pleas let me know.

PS I will try to post some pics of it. Good luck with yours!!!

21. Its a Twister kart

22. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but any help would be great. I'm checking on a few other forums but can't find anything yet. Homemade, junk....??????

Hey guys. Just picked these up. For the price i couldn't go wrong in just motors and odds and ends. Any idea what these are. I know they've been chopped up a bit but any ideas? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]