Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty 55 chevy gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Damn................and I thought my 55 was rusty!:eek: Nice save!

2. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

A man on a mission... I know the feeling but my wife doesn't get it.
    Keep us posted.

3. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

inspiration

Attached Files:

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

We're not worthy!

Would it have been easier to fuse the 2 dr. quarters/quarter window sections onto the 4 dr. body (seeing as how both cars need rockers/floors anyway?

At any rate, we should all be sending you beer for all this hard work we're witnessing.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. solid

solid

You saved it. That thing would have been in the crusher if not for you. Be a cool straight axle car.

6. great save so far!

7. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a project!!

8. nutajunka

nutajunka

You know when you think about it, we all go through alot of trouble for "just" the outer skin of our cars. Maybe they should put mile meters on our mig welders, so we could tell in the end how long of a bead we have laid on them! :D

9. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Thats what I call determination..

10. The 4 door had been wrecked...left rear quarter tail lamp was smeared across the trunk lid. I figured it was best to save what was left of the 2 door. I have heard some people on various sites say"converting a 4 door is not the same as having a real 2 door". I call BS. If you take your time and find the 2 door patches...I cannot see any difference. Its okay to take all the dash parts, windshield, hood trunk lid, bumpers , fenders from a 4 door, but not the top and floors...seems kind of hypocritical. I guess I did not receive the"cut-off memo"!!!:)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

:eek::eek:....Nice work....

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You are the man keep us posted.

13. I got a lot of info and inspiration from a guy on the "trifive" website. His handle is "MP&C"...take a look in the sheet metal repair section for diagrams ie cross section of roof and rockers etc. His post were very helpful with this job.
    I will have more pictures soon. Front straight axle is here, Dana 60 with posi has a also arrived and a stock 2dr seat is on its way.
    It's just persistence...how an ugly fucker like me got such a hot ass old lady and a hacked up 55!!!!

14. PS more inspiration!!!

Attached Files:

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Hell yes.

Incredible save-job on the '55. Can't wait to see it up and running.

16. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. motorhead711

motorhead711

Nice job. Keep up the progress man.

18. chad

chad

Wow. its even easier to do a 4 dr conversion to a 2 dr now...They sell the doors and complete quarters...That's just awesome.....Nice save by the way!!

19. ...I really admire you and your skills for savin that "wreck"!

20. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Great save! It's hard but all worth it in the end.

21. billygoat67

billygoat67

great to see another one saved from the crusher, if you have ever found a car that was a mouse motel you'll understand how this one could rust.
    had a 53 chevy sedan that was stored for 40 yrs in the woods, tore out interior and when i removed the headliner it was raining mouse shit. they'd tore all the seat stuffing and put it in the cavity under the roof skin.
    needless to say what a f@@@ing mess. alot of shit and piss stored up there,three trips to the car wash and alot of pinesol later and minty fresh.
    that's my experience any way.
    keep up the good work and enjoy your ride, you earned it.

22. Very cool and amazing fab work. We have a 57 2 door sedan in the works but the rust is all on the lower panels.

23. That is exactly what rotted the roof... mice piss! Now for the floors and rockers, just damp western Washington weather!

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Man You must really want a 55 .Great work and good luck.........

25. Sort of...:)
    I really did not remeber this car being so soft, but it had been 10 years since I had really taken a close look at it last. I was not planning to go into it this deep. Now that I am here, I have no choice.... not to mention I just wanted to see if I can do it!

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

This is an unbelievable thread. Looking forward to more updates!

27. fitzee

fitzee

Your going to see more and more of this.Not everybody has rust free steel anymore. It was just the other day I was saying to one of my customers that there will come a day when a rusted out car will be the only car to restore. Great work and keep us posted.

28. falfas55

falfas55

Dude,My hats off to you.That's a hell of job your taking on. The cars gonna be killer when you finish. Great job. Keep up the good work.FALFA

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'm gonna have to agree with everyone else - what an amazing undertaking and a great job you've done up to this point. most people would have shit-canned that project. hats off to you man. keep up the good work.