Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on late 30's early 40's chevy trucks. Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Jul 20, 2004.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I don't know anything about em, at all. I really wanna see some that have been rodded. I think the one I found might be a 40 or 41 since the instrument cluster was rectangular...

2. chad

chad

I think there is a website called carnut?I cant quite remeber.I am sure someone here will know.

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I don't wanna just look at pictures of goofy "streetrods" and restorations. I want actual info abotu the trucks, and some pictures of cool shit would be a bonus.

4. dabond

dabond

41/46 Chevy's

Attached Files:

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Visit Stovebolt.com, you'll find pictures and info there. Check the gallery.

6. My daily driver 37. Basically 37-46 are very similar. The cabs are same size, just a few character line differences. The beds and rear fenders all appear similar, but don;t quote me as being an expert. Hoods are similar and hinge in center with both sides folding up. The front grilles and fenders are where the main differences are. 37-40 have the headlights mounted to side of grille, 41-46 headlights are mounted to fenders. I think all have a rectangular gage panel.

I drive the shit outta mine, it has Must II front susp, stock rear leafs with blocks, Chevy 350/350 and 57 Chevy pass car rearend. These are nice trucks, but like all older trucks the cab is a little small in that they are short from firewall to back of cab. My truck is not chopped, but looks kinda like it is, especially when you compare it to the Fords of the same time period.

7. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

i have a feelin' it's gonna be a 41...the lights on the fenders make me think that, but I could've sworn it was a one piece flat windsheild....I want it to be a 40 or earlier becuase I like the front end more, but I'm not gonna bitch about it no matter what year it is since it's only 2 bills....

I know it's gonna be a snug fit when I get done with it, since I'm around 6'4". I wanna see some more rodded ones to see what different things you could go for with em....Your truck is nice, I know I won't be putting together anything quite that fancy. i just want it mean lookin'...

8. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

A good part supplier for those trucks is chevs of the 40s they have almost everything you could possibly need to rebuild it and upgrade shit too.

9. colorado51

colorado51

Here is my brother-n-laws '40 work in progress (obviously!)

[​IMG]

10. If it's a "lights on fenders" deco model you won't have a problem fitting, as those cabs are quite large compared to the pre 1940 models.

11. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Hows the stock suspension, brakes, steering, etc on these things? Was needs upgrading and what can stay stock? This is gonna be as low buck as possible, but i want to keep it as traditional as possible too.

12. Stock front susp is parallel leafs. The wheels are 6 lug bolt pattern. Enclosed driveline on the stock 216 six, with parallel leafs on the back. I do not know what needs upgrading or not on the front ends, I think there is a disc brake conversion available. I am not aware of any dropped axles for them, although there may be some old ones that were done back in the day. The front track width is pretty narrow, so the standard Camaro/Nova subframe is a little bit wide. Use wheels with neg offset, or subframe mods to get the tires back under the fenders. I think Must II is the best if your frame is good condition. Maybe the Jag IFS that is being discussed in the F-1 discussion thread??? Rearend can use about anything that is 60 inches width, plus or minus. Just match the bolt pattern with what the front has if you change it.

Sounds like yours is a 41-46 with headlights on the fenders, I bellieve the 41-46 also have a V-windshield and 37-40 are flat one piece.

With those parallel leafs already up front, put a straight axle and make a low-budget gasser.

13. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]

....Sounds like yours is a 41-46 with headlights on the fenders, I bellieve the 41-46 also have a V-windshield and 37-40 are flat one piece....

[/ QUOTE ]

The '39 was the first of that split window body, it had a "flat" dash and firewall. '40 started the curved dash that ran thru '46 and '41 they bumped the firewall out 2" for that much more crucial leg room. I have a '40 GMC.
    It's got a longer hood/radiator support to accomodate the longer GMC engine but other than that is basically the same.
    If you want o keep it "stock" the parallel leafs work fine, I'm still running the originals. but the single action lever shocks get real scary above 50mph so change them to some double action or fab some upper brackets for tube shocks. and use later Chevy lower tube shock mounts.
    I did a bit of modifying to mine...

14. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

well my luck didn't change a damn bit. My radiator pissed me off for the last time on the way up there and now I'm gonna have to take care of that, AND my insurance bill seemed to show up earlier than usual.....that along with the other usual bills are gonna keep me away from the truck. Since things got so shitty at work things have gotten rough.....

15. Murch

Murch

16. Murch

Murch

Wow just read the date on this one way to bring back a crazy old thread, guess I should pay more attention, sorry.