Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG...good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CharlieLed, May 20, 2008.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I gotta line on a used Miller Syncrowave 200 Runner TIG unit and was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experience with this welder? Thanks...

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Love mine to death, only complaint is its to damn quiet!

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

The best tool, I've ever bought, go get it.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Awesome, you won't regret it

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Buy it before someone else does!

6. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

i have a 180, buddy has a 200. wish the 200 was around when i got mine. works awesome.
    a good solid welder is never a bad buy. mine will still be in my shop forever. it will always have its purpose even after its replaced.

i say go for it... its better than good.

7. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

We have one at the shop. Really nice unit.

8. cretin

cretin

I have the 180 also. The only complaint I had about mine was the torch that came with it. I bought a new torch and now its great. I agree with the rest hurry up and buy it.

9. Slide

Slide

I've got one and I love it. My only complaint is the torch lead is a little short for what I'd prefer, but it's not too big of an issue. (If your shop is large enough to roll the welder all the way around the car, and still have room to walk around, this won't be such an issue as it is for me.)

Also, the power cord/cable is particularly short, so you might want to make an extension cord.

10. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

I couldn't agree more. Got a new torch for my 180 as well. Best Tig machine I've ever owned. Too bad I can't afford the machines I work with at my day job, lol. Miller syncrowave 350's. But they run on 440 anyway.....

11. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

What kind of amps do you need in the shop to run a 200?
    I have an older syncrowave 350 I cant use cause it needs 150 amp service
    I was gonna sell it to get a new syncrowave or dynasty 200
    FRITZ

12. Ihave a 250 will not do without it.

13. It all depends what comes with it and what they want for it. Also, if I was going to buy a used TIG machine, I'd sure see if I could use it first. Test and see if the HF start works as it should, see if it works well at both low and high amps, a variety of materials and see how stable the arc is. If the price is right and it welds as it should, these are great units.

I almost bought a used Syncrowave 250 - but ended up with a new Maxstar "suitcase" 200. I'm not going to be welding aluminum, otherwise I'd have been looking at the Dynasty. Obviously you'll spend a whole lot more on a new machine - just depends how much you have to spend and what you want to do with it. The one thing that convinced me to buy a Maxstar or Dynasty is the convenience of having a 40 lb welder that auto-volt switches between 100, 220, 440. It is dang nice to be able to throw the welder in your car, go to a friends house and be able to help fabricate/fix something -- and just carry a small argon bottle with you. Also, it doesn't take any space up in the shop - which is cool as well.

Enough of my babble . . .

14. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Spec sheet says that the input power required is 54 A at the rated output.

15. AMP Draw is another nice thing about the suitcase welders - the 200 Maxstar/Dynasty only takes about 30 amps at 220 (don't have the specs in front me me - thinking from memory). Makes it much easier and cheaper to wire a shop - I setup a couple #8 outlets to make it easy to move the welder around.

16. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I have a 250 as well, and agree the biggest thing is its TOO QUIET. Hell when I first got I couldn't tell if it was on or not. No low frequency hum. SO yeah they are worth. I've had 3 other TIG machines, and though this is the biggest and takes up needed room in my garage, it will stay. Works great.

17. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I bought the syncrowave 300 at a good price, I didn't try it but I did get a coolmate 3, water cooled torch and a milk crate full of stuff plus a bunch of rods. I did good and I'm up on the deal. But I have been drawn to the dynasty 200 because its a smaller unit that plugs into 110 house juice and will weld a set of busted harley engine cases Plus all my goofy show rod crap. so if ya wanted a good all around back yard unit what would you get? and will the syncrowave 200 work if your house has 50 amp service?
    FRITZ

18. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

great welder, not a fan on how they strike arc but its totally a preference thing. if buying full price i would go lincon 225 but if you get a deal on the miller go for it, you wont regret it.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

One of the best Tigs on the market

20. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

If it doesn't have a water hookup, buy a Miller Coolmate to go on it. Water cooled torch is best way to go.

21. Slide

Slide

I have mine on a 60 amp breaker. Never tripped it, even welding with the amps turned all the way up and nearly 100% "throttle" at the foot pedal.

But you WILL hear the fan when it gets hot enough. Sounds like the vacuum cleaner we have in the house.

22. Todd Bugs

Todd Bugs

indeed water cooled torch is the way to go, a little heavy at first but I got used to mine pretty quick, now I wouldn't go back using the old one.

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Great machine love mine. Up-graded to a 25 ft torch lead. Air cooled torch not a issue unless you do a lot of long hi-amp welds. And Miller back service if ya need it is first class much better than Lincoln.

24. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Well I didn't buy the one that I found from the private party but I did go ahead and buy one new...it was just delivered today. Still waiting for the gas cylinder but got the unit wired up and ready to light off just as soon as the gas arrives. I got a copy of Ron Covell's TIG DVD...this should get me started on the right track. Thanks for all the inputs, can't wait to use it...

25. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i'm in the market for one and wanted to see how yours worked for you. is the 200 good enough for a home shop? i want to be able to do body work as well as chassi work with it, like welding up my own 4 link and air bag brackets.

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

it can weld anything your going to need burn together. at least in the hot rod world anyway.

27. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

x2 ^^^^^^

28. encswsm

encswsm

NIce machine..

29. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Fritz, I have a dynasty 200, runs on 110V,208-230V, 460V single phase, three phase, weighs 45# size of a suitcase, added a liquid cooled torch. Yea, Baby!

30. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

now i just need to find a deal on new runner