Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porsche 356 "HotRod"...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Mar 12, 2008.

1. TRuss

TRuss

Does anyone know if it's an original steel body. If it is the Porsche purists are probably pissed. I actually do hope the hot rodded 550 Spyder is not an original car. Those cars are super rare. They make the 356 seem like super high production in comparison. Plus it would probably even have a race history too. It would be like somebody taking a cool survivor hot rod and changing everything on it.

2. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Achtung Shtoooka!! :eek:

I think both cars are pretty cool, but the copped one does look a little ove done with the scoops & wheels..

I was just reading in Octane mag last night about very rare early 356's called Pre-A cars that have a cool split front windsheild!
    [​IMG]

3. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I could do w/o the mirror in the pass door and possibly the one in the roof (but at least that serves a purpose...)

Otherwise, it looks pretty good...

4. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

DOH! :eek:

I just noticed the STUKA is one of the early ones..

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yep, JU-87 Stuka was equipped with an air turbine (little propeller) that was tuned to scream for the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the bomb run. It was specifically designed as a dive bomber, so it would reach speeds in the dive that it wouldn't see elsewhere. The purpose of the siren was to get enemy infantry to take cover. It was a key part of a Blitzkrieg, 'cause they aren't fighting you if they are activly diving for cover. That and it generally scares the shit out of anyone that hears it.

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

As has been said, the silver car is nice but overdone. Early Porsches were all about form follows function, very little unnecessary adornment. I think the silver car was inspired by this car....
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/186502,8977,0,608/1953_Porsche_550_Coupe_Photo.aspx

A 550 coupe built for the Carrera Panamericana. I have a buddy that is into pre-A 356s, he's been working on a bent window coupe for over 5 years. He says that the early 356 people are absolutely nuts about originality and has seen people almost come to blows about stuff like whether a certain type of screw was used to hold on a wire clamp in the third quarter of 1953.

Kurt O.

7. F-head

F-head

Gary Emery who was mentioned on this post earlier is the late Neal Emery of Valley Customs fame's son.he also is a hot rodder on top of building some really cool 356's
    B

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

would it happen to be red and on the NW side?

9. superleggera

superleggera

The above Porsche is a 914 chassis, 911 engine and a few 356 bodyparts with a lot of custom metalwork. I think the pictures posted were from a few years ago when it was at the Los Gatos, CA dealership where it was for sale at the time?

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here is the 550 I was thinking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TRuss

TRuss

Those things are beautiful. That's one of those cars that has been in the imaginary collection upstairs for a long time. By the way. My imaginary upstairs collection is huge.

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Reminds me of a guy that never owned a motorcycle.

Mirror in the door ........ does it fly??? PLEASE

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, that thing's bad ass. Can I have it?
    Years ago, there was a 914 on the street-race circuit here in the Flint area. Stroker small block, 180* headers, dual carbs, all in the back. Faster than chit but not nearly this cool looking.

14. WOW that is bad ass. would like to see more photos of the inside.

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, it would have been a lot cooler without all the trinkets.

I bet these cars were the inspiration...

Attached Files:

16. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i like the window cranks and door handles :D HAHA... pretty slick looking car :)

17. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

metalshapes, are those the Abarth Porsches?

the Abarth was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pics.

dv

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

No, I think those were Coupe versions of the 550 ( see the pics Ryan Posted )

Here are some pics of Porsche Abarth's.

Attached Files:

19. So McKee do you own this wouderful car or have access to build up photos. This car is really nice would love to see some build up photos. Just helped a friend clean out a old volkswagen/porsche shop here after he bought out the place of all their parts.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The "squished" 356 would RULE with a 4 cam Carrera........

21. The name "Stuka" wasn´t only applied to the Ju87 - its a shortened version of the word "STUrtzKAmpfbomber". German for dive bomber. It was a general term for any dive bomber at the time.

A friend of mine just imported a "bent screen" Pre A 356. 60,000 bucks and it needs a new floor and an engine rebuild. He was less than delighted. Shame, because the car looks beautiful.

22. repoguy

repoguy

Wow, very cool. As far as the original one pictured is concerned, I like the front, and don't particularly like the back.

The Stuka kicks ass. Anyone know anything about the mechanicals on it?

23. Cool?.....YES! Hotrod?....not even close! Looks like one of those prototypes when they were trying to find the look they wanted.

24. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I'm pretty fortunate in that Fantasy Junction (the place selling that car) is right across the street from my work-- They are THE nicest folks, and if you ever want to see the most amazing collection of cars, maybe hear a 275GTB/2 warming up, just head on over. It rules.

This is a video made a few years ago with Dutch Mandel (Auto Week) and I taking a tour of the place:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1IRYZHm4oLs

25. autobilly

autobilly

Kool. Looks like something from an early super hero comic.

26. Fidget

Fidget

Gary, and his kids, are great people. Gary will talk your ear off if you let him. If you ever go to the Historic Races at P.I.R., be sure to stop by his pit tent to check out all the cars he brings out to the track. His building is also an old WW2 building with a stage inside, lots of history in the building, and lots of memorabilia. If you ever stop by there, be sure to get the tour. I have a 1972 911T, he was a great source of hard to find parts when I was putting it together.

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

28. lackluster

lackluster

I'm not a huge Porsche fan, but I would have picked something else to chop.

29. tjm73

tjm73

It looks like it belongs on the salt.

Those 550 Spider Replicas are now being built as Subaru powered rocket ships.

30. that just made my day...stunning...ok, and after going back and clicking on the thumbnails to see the larger pics, I'm not as pleased..lol...take everything off of it, and I love it. now the 550.....mmmmmmmmmm