Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's MOST BILLET Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzford

zzford

Frankly, I don't give a damn about this show or any other competion for an award. That scene is so far removed from my part in the hobby. I'll enter my car in local shows, not for a three dollar trophy, but to hang out with friends and to make new ones. Another thing, I will NOT enter any show that the entry fee goes to enrich the promoter. I am happy to throw down a 20 for a benefit show. For a car owner to pay to enter a promoter's show, is like charging ZZ Top to put on a concert. Hell, WE ARE THE SHOW !!!! They don't have a show with out us! I'd like to see every car owner boycott promoters' shows. Please note, I'm not talking about the events aimed at Rodders, I see these shows as entertainment for us (i.e. Streetrod Nationals, Billetproof, Goodguys, etc).

2. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Sadly the old saying holds true " Money talks and bull shit walks " So the only way things are apt to change is if people stop paying to look at these things.

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I would not normally care about a trophy or an award but come on guys, this is the AMBR award. Probably one of the two most prestigious awards of any for hot rod/custom builders. This is an award that our fathers and grandfathers have lusted over for years. I don't know how it got so out of control but it did. One year a guy must have spent way more than the others and they gave him the award. So began the slippery slope to what we have here today.

I don't know how to fix or even if we can fix it. But we NEED to fix it.

After I saw which 'car' won (with the Ala Kart in the background of the photos) I kept thinking 'Now am I really gonna wanna see this 'car' 50 years from now? No, definitely not.'
    Was I happy to see the Ala Kart and the Niekamp roadster? You betcha!
    How did we ever go from this
    [​IMG]

to this?
    [​IMG]

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It's threads like these lately that are really bringing the HAMB down.......

5. Muttley

Muttley

Who?

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Exactly!

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

HAHAHAHA... Kirk, you kill me.

8. If I was anywhere close, I would be as happy as I could be, going to the GNRS.
    I travel a thousand miles a year to go to the Detroit Autorama and I go upstairs and downstairs. I see things I like and things I don't like. I am glad that there is a Autorama. I loved it in 1953, I love it now.

9. This should be good...............I found a pic of this car on the uglyest custom thread,perfect place for this crapster !!

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Cars look there best when they are slinking down the road. Maybe they need a runway segment to the show. ha

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't say anything about the car that hasn't already been said by someone who's opinion I respect. But that display is truly hilarious.

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

Let them eat cake.

13. lesabre59

lesabre59

I think it should be:

H ey
    A sswipes
    M ind your own
    B usiness

14. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Seeing it on the giant roulette wheel...yet, wasn't much of a gamble. Irony?

15. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i have seen fred warren driving both of his ambr winners.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think this one would look really lovely falling off the white cliffs of Dover.

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

From some of the past winners I thought that you got more points for having fenders, so fendered cars were usually the winners as of late. That 36 is pretty schnazzy AND has fenders......

18. thats a trick i`d pay to see:D

19. A Hot Rod is a terrible thing to waste........AMBR 2008

20. akjim

akjim

The GNRS went to hell with the AlaCart..wasn't that the first purpose built car? To win the GNRS?

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That abomination wasn't a waste of anything vintage, for that you can be thankful, and it's the furthest thing from a hot rod I've seen in a while, it's something I'd be embarrassed to even be seen in, let alone own.
    I think unbelievably wealthy people have a scew loose, and as their wealth accumulates more scews start to fall out. Their touch with reality is tenuous at best, I bet winos have a better grasp of aesthetics and taste. I've never seen a bum dressed as tastelessly as some of the fuckwits in Coconut Grove.

22. solid

solid

These Cats Have Just Lost The Reason Behind It All. I Am Sure All Of These Guys Have A Ton Of Talent, But Cars Are Built To Cruise Not Just Look At. They Throw A Million Bucks, And Ten Guys At These Things, And Some, Or Most Dont Even Run. When You Drive A Car That You Have Time Invested In Its Like Going To Church, A Religious Experience. Is A Trophy Worth Pushing A Car On A Trailor, And Covering It Up? I Say Drive The Fucker And Forget All The Other Bullshit. Maybe The Church Analogy Mixed With Fucker, AND Bullshit Was To Much. Sorry, I Have Had A Couple Of Serveessess.

23. JamesG

JamesG

Instead of all of us complaining about what won, one of us or a group of us should build something in their garage for a little of nothing and go win that trophy.

24. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

If someone paid me $800,000 to build that piece of shit,
    I think I'd have to do it.
    It would allow me to make 4 really bitchin hot rods or customs to keep, or buy a house or...
    Hey I got kids!
    And I know the majority of HAMBers are sellouts to some other crappy job!
    TP

25. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

That's the problem that most of us on here don't understand.
    As a traditional hot-rodder we are some of the cheapest "customers" in the hobby.
    Sure some people spend $ on paint or an engine, or SOCAL parts,
    but its nothing compared to a HUGE portion of the automotive industry.

As a business move the AMBR people are geniuses.
    Go to your local magazine rack and look at the car mags.
    There is ALOT of "reader $" in DONK, Lowrider, and other BLING magazines.
    What easier way to access those potential customers than by promoting a POS hot rod?
    Any financially-smart builder would ride the trend and just make $.

Yeah its not a HAMB friendly comment but WTF...
    TP

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You got it right. That car wasn't built to drive, it was built to show and look pretty. It was built to go on tour and get pics taken of it, so it could help sell products. It MAY get driven, but probably won't. It wasn't made to and that's a damn shame.

Damn. A fuckin' DONK street rod. Time to turn the page.

27. I think that to the people that built that thing, the car itself was immaterial. It was just what they had to do to get their name on the trophy. And as to the people with that much wealth, the pursuit of more wealth and fame is just the whole game to them. That's why some billionaires in their 70's and 80's keep chasing more and more $$$. It's sick.

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It will be interesting which magazine decides to do a feature on it.

29. alanjohnson

alanjohnson
    from alabama

Jim’s comment on the Miss America contest is a logical way of looking at this. If they used the same criteria as the judges for AMBR they would start out looking for pimples that were covered by the swimsuit , checking for split ends or looking for other hidden issues. Then crown the lard ass, horse faced, buck toothed, nappy headed Miss America. The first things that are wrong on this car you can see at a hundred feet, no need to examine any closer. The judges or so focused on looking for imperfections and examining every crevice with a flashlight and magnifying glass that they don’t look at the overall package . I think every member that attended or just browsed the photos would have picked a different car than this one. It is a shame that one of the most coveted awards that a hot rod can receive has been degraded repeatedly in the past few years. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

30. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Right on Alan. This trophy has gone to hell.Think the Riddler is right behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.