Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt tachometer - where and the hell are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Wiehle, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Chris Wiehle

Chris Wiehle
    from Byron , IL

I want to put a tach in my '53 business coupe but it's still on 6 volts. I have been searching ebay & the net to no avail. Any help would be wonderful.
    Chris

2. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I got one from Westach. http://www.westach.com/ They can do positive or negative ground, any number of cylinders, and whatever rev range you want. It may take a while to get one made, however, and it's not cheap. My 5000 rpm flathead 6-volt negative ground was just under $120.

--Matt

3. Iceberg

Iceberg

I found an old 6V Sun two piece unit on ebay and had it converted to solid state by Williamson's Instraments. You also don't need a 6V transmitter, they can make it 6V, and all the heads will work with the converted transmitter. I've seen mint (12V) 4 & 6 cylinder transmitters go begging on ebay. Williamson's charges about $175 for the conversion. They can also put a new face on your tach head or refinish your old transmitter. Check out thier website @ http://www.williamsons.com/ I love my tach and it will stay with me even if the truck finds a new home someday.

Attached Files:

4. Chris Wiehle

Chris Wiehle
    from Byron , IL

Thanks for the info guys but those are both out of my price range. I will keep your links though- for the future.
    Chris

5. Mutt

Mutt

6. Chris Wiehle

Chris Wiehle
    from Byron , IL

I don't understand. What does it do. (In lamens terms)DO I need that to run a 12 volt tach.?

7. Chris Wiehle

Chris Wiehle
    from Byron , IL

By the way Iceberg- Sweet car for what I can see of it.

8. Mutt

Mutt

That is the transmitter for a Sun two-piece tach. You can use any head (like in Iceberg's picture) that uses an EB transmitter. They require mercury batteries, that show up on Ebay now and then, but you can use AA batteries if you change them frequently.

Mutt

9. yucel

yucel

The Tach Shack at www.tachshack.com has new "antique" 6 volt tachometers.

10. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Yucel, how the hell did you find a year-and-a-half old thread to respond to for your first post?

LeoH likes this.