Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ----------)Friday Art Show 10/05/2012(----------

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jdustu, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikef1331

mikef1331

2. GaryC.

GaryC.

My art post this week is an illustration and story
    for a web site/book called "The Old Car Nut Book".
    As the title implies, there are a lot of cool stories about
    the things that we all like. I would recommend the site to
    anyone who is in the car scene.

LINK: http://oldcarnutbook.com/index.php/current-stories/120-the-million-stars

The Million Stars

by Gary Campesi

"Gary, will you run down to the store and get a loaf of bread." my mother asked.
    "Sure." I said. Thus began an adventure that has lasted over fifty years.

As I snugged up my high-top Keds and tucked the white t-shirt into my Dungarees, she gave me fifty cents which was enough for the bread and a candy bar. The halo light on the black and white Zenith glowed as I left my house.
    "See you later Matt Dillon."

George's General Store was only two blocks away; a distance that made a twelve year old feel like an adult. As I left the house I noticed how bright the night sky was. There must have been a million stars out. The sky didn't seem black, but ultramarine blue and the late summer air felt wonderful. As I passed my grandmother’s home I noticed a lot of lights on; probably one of my aunts getting ready for a night out. The brief walk to the store seemed all to brief, as it usually did. Headlights of passing cars illuminated the sidewalk on Pittsburgh Road. The air was filled with mint that grew wild in the vacant lot next to my Grandmother’s house.

Arriving at George's General Store I opened the screen door.
    "Don't let the door slam shut." Crack! One more for the books.
    I pick out a loaf of bread and a fine Kit Kat bar. Time to head home.
    "Good night Mr. G".

"Don't let the door slam shut." This time I remember. As I pause to let the creaky door close gently those stars catch my eye again. "Amazing. There are so many." Walking along the edge of the road I can smell the asphalt and hear the cars pass, quietly approaching in the distance and past me. Their tires seem as though the road is sticking to them. The zing, zing, ziiiing of the tires moving away until I can't hear them. I'm about fifty feet from where I'll turn left at Grandma's house enjoying the night, the Kit Kat and those stars.

Gram's lights are still on as I round the corner. And there it is. Black and glistening.
    Where did this come from? It wasn't here ten minutes ago. Crackling as its metal innards cooled, I can smell exhaust still lingering and leather and rubber. I can't move. A million stars sparkle in the ebony paint. There, in front of me, is something called an MG.

This is not the ordinary Plymouth or any Ford that I had come to know. I look inside.
    There is the smell of leather, a large steering wheel and a floor shift. Wood! A wooden dash and gauges of chrome; like a clock that Gram had on her wall.

As I walked away, taking the last few steps to my home, I notice my aunt leaving with someone
    I don't recognize in the MG. The sound of it filling the warm night air, the dim red glow of the taillights and the bumper mounted spare disappear into the night. Zing, zing, zinggggg.

A few days pass and I an anxious to find out the who, what, when and why of the MG visitor. My aunt tells me that the car belongs to Ed. It would seem that Ed is my aunt’s new boyfriend.

Some time passes and Ed is now Uncle Ed. Uncle Ed probably has more to do with me becoming a car guy than anyone else. I didn't know a lot about sports cars when I was young, but Uncle Ed took care of that quickly. When he and my aunt moved to their own little home I would ride my bicycle for visits. On one visit, while Uncle Ed was working on his basement, he came over to the table where I was sitting and handed me a foot high stack of "Sports Car Graphic" magazines. "Would you like to have these" he said. As I looked down on the black BMW 507 on the cover of one of them I said "Yes!"

I still have those magazines; fifty years older at this point. They read just as well today.
    As I look at that black BMW on the cover I'm reminded of Uncle Ed and that MG
    and those million stars. How some things just stick with you.

I never saw that many stars in the sky again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

WOW some great work this week! Here are a couple I shoot at the Revival show using my Graflex 2x3 camera..

This was shot with Ilford Pan F+ (50speed film)
    [​IMG]

I usually don't like this much grey but I wanted to recreate those old photos you would see in the hot rod mags back in the early days...Ilford Delta 400
    [​IMG]

4. KCsledz

KCsledz

Great captures as always Dan! This truck is CRAZY!

5. aagasser

aagasser
    from ny

I recently finished two lettering jobs, both were just to add a little"color" to the cars and give them a race car feel. They are both headed for the Race of Gentlemen in NJ. ...they should fit right in.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Ryan was nice enough to feature this "Mister 97" knob last week but even though it's not quite finished, I thought I'd share the stand photos. Kinda' combined the front half of a pre-49 Eddie Meyer Flathead Plenum with a Thickstun riser. The stand is all hand carved, no real products were molested during the making of this stand:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. Varin-Maeus

Varin-Maeus
    from Scio, OR

Great stuff, people, as per usual.

[​IMG]
    "Uh, this was NOT part of the plan! This is supposed to be a LAND speed record attempt. What the hell do I do now, flap my arms??"

[​IMG]
    "Where are these green spaghetti things coming from? And how did they find the kill switch in my car?"

8. sambo

sambo

^^^^^I knew youd show up !^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

REALLY NICE!! What software is this...I'd love to try my hand at it.

10. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

Great shot! Looks cool and a little sinister.

11. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Some of the photos look like paintings. Some of the paintings look like photos. I'm always amazed by the talent on display here.

12. palat

palat

Thank you Buzznut ! I use 3DSMAX.

Thanks all for sharing such prime car artwork.

13. My Fav!

14. sololobo

sololobo

super show kids- thanx to all- great art from south omaha nebraska, my face is graced and smilin ~sololobo~

15. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Stefan...........Your work is fantastic it takes me back to when I was a kid trying to draw and your style of drawing was what I went after but never got there, excellent work...........

16. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i just finished this
    [​IMG]

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I have been buying Oakley for close to 20 years now and have many pairs. I would have liked to see them use some of your ideas but it was very cool of them to acknowledge your creativity, hard work and professional presentation with a pair of complementary glasses. Nice work!

18. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Wow! great start to the art show guys! some awesome work! the bar just goes higher every friday!:D

heres some of my work.. all pencil and all twisted by my mind..

A drag influenced Model A
    [​IMG]

A twist on the Superbell coupe..
    [​IMG]

A vintage model T inspired by an old magizine car..
    [​IMG]

and a 55 chevy gasser..
    [​IMG]

keep up the great work!

Surfs up! Big Joe.

19. The Goon

The Goon

My attempt to do pinstriping digitally!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  20. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GaryC. wonderfull story and GREAT pic love those old MG's
    (thanks for the link)

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Tee design for work.

[​IMG]

22. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

what would an individual like me have to do to order one of those? that design is awesome

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well, they'll have to get made first. I would guess it would be weeks at least, if they do get printed. If not I'll pull Goodguys out of it and do them myself.

24. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

[​IMG]
    Rad stuff here! Always inspirational and intimidating! Here is a rendering I did the other night. Always hand drawn with paper pencil and ink. (my scanner is way too small!)

25. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Beebing, Please do the back of that Lark... OMG You can't stop now...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.