Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Jalopyrama - Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It appears the Generation Gap is alive and well here in Maryland. I'm part of the 0600 crowd and haven't slept past 0800 in 30 years. We have trouble with what we see as lazy ass kids sleeping in. That being said you were there on your nickel so us Old Farts should be more understanding. It takes a big man to write Part II, I think you showed the class that the 0600 crowd admires. Thanks for doing so, I'm sure you're welcome back to Maryland. OBTW is that camera pinstriped ?

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Admit it, though, that has more to do with your prostate than with any particular productivity in the mornings, doesn't it?

-Dave, lazy ass kid

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Firefly

Firefly

Ohhhhh, Double Dog Dare ya to do a gonzo-esque write up when you get back from Aussie................they'd love it, no really they would!

5. Clark

Clark

Ryan......sorry I missed you ,but my weekend was sorta like yours. I had to deliver a car to Toledo. All I remember is something about Tequila and Taco's. The rest is all a blur.

Clark

6. Heck, if it's GONZO you're after just send Germ to cover the next one.

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

I will most likely sleep late and show up feeling the night before in Austin on Dec. 10, but nobody will care! Is that good or bad? Now, I am all messed up all because of Ryan!

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Blake rules..

This whole thing has made for some entertaining reading the past few days...
    :) -Jerry

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Ryan, you are a better man than I.

Because I live, breathe and shit old cars all day/every day and because I am a workaholic, I am unable to take a vacation that doesn't involve....CARS. So when on "vacation", I am working harder than ever, feeling guilty about not being at the shop...you know, all the symptoms of my disease.

so good on you for skipping out on the Meet/Greet and the bulk of the show. Hell, can't a guy have a day off?

and as far as the gonzo stuff goes...again, good on you. Some of us are so damn forthright and blunt that we just get ourselves in all kinds of trouble. I envy those that can spin a yarn, embelish a bit and lure the unsuspecting right into their web of deception. Certainly you don't have near as many enemies as a no-nonsense hardass like myself.

you are fortunate to be able to set aside the job and spread a bit of BS.

10. To every point, there is a counterpoint.

Point: Ryan has built a fantastic site and is one of the most brilliant marketers that I have ever seen. Notice the massive sucking up in the above posts.

Counterpoint. He had a bunch of his people coming to an event wanting to meet him. There was a planned meet and greet of his audience. The show people picked up the tab for his room. I think I would have got my ass out of bed.

My point: Never take anything for granted.

11. Ryan ain't that important of a person to get all that nutted up over him not showing up...

I mean, this is probably what HE was thinking.

:D

Sam

12. tradrod

tradrod

^^^^If you go to a car show to meet a "celebrity" you've gone for the wrong reason. And if a car show needs one to attract a bigger crowd, then "Billy The Exterminator"
    might be a good invite.:D^^^^^^^^

Let the cars speak for themselves, that's why the Jalopyrama has the rep it does.:cool:

13. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

When did everyone get so fuckin sensitive...can't anyone NOT offend anyone by doing there own thing anymore? Glad you enyoyed the show and come on back next year and write whatever you want. It's about enjoying YOURSELF and those around you. We all just happen to center that activity around BSing next to some seriously cool sheetmetal.

14. I agree.
    Jalopyrama doesn't need a "Celebrity"
    I doubt anyone came to the show just to meet Ryan.
    That is all beside the point.

15. How about the point that he told the organizers he did not want to be there as a "personality" and they said ok but you can still have the room.

I don't remeber him being at the meet and greet in Austin two years ago either and he had a booth 50 feet from where we met.

He has mentioned time and time again he is shy and not comfortable with these types of things so when he says he doesn't want to be a part of them then maybe people should respect his wishes. If they feel that paying for his room obligates him to participate in things he has stated he doesn't want to participate in then withdraw the offer. Saying it is fine and then making him feel guilty afterwords for not participating is a low class move in my books.

16. Good point.
    I will quietly back out at this point.

17. scarylarry

scarylarry

Your dime, your deal. Some people will NEVER get it.

18. Normant93

Normant93

Hey Ryan, I’ve been lurking around here for a couple years now…… TJJ has become my morning drug while waiting for the coffee to brew. I’m ashamed to admit though, that it’s been a pretty one-sided relationship as I’ve been totally a consumer of everything you’ve created here, but haven’t contributed a f’n thing. I think this is actually my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> post. I guess that’s mostly for two reasons; one, I’m pretty much in awe of the talent represented by this group of folks, a few people in my little world consider me some kind of “expert”, I guess because I’ve restored/built some stuff over the years and they haven’t, but man, when I see what some of the guys on the HAMB are doing, I realize I truly am a FNG and don't feel like I could possibly add value to the discussion. Second, I live in a weird space somewhere in the middle of muscle cars, English sports/racing cars, and restored stuff so I’m not exactly sure if/where I fit in to the HAMB family (although I do seem to have developed a burning itch to build an A-V8 coupe) Anyway, there is a point to all this, I guess I was moved by the second installment of your Jalopyrama post to get off my ass and actually contribute something. For what it’s worth, I loved your write up of this event (as well as many others previously) all great stories that are really fun to read, and when combined with your images, show the depth of your passion and respect for these cars, the history, people and venues. Every time I read one, I spend the next few days obsessing over how I’m gonna to get there next year and be part of it. Each one also provided a small glimpse of the kind of guy you are. I think this mornings post more than confirmed those impressions. Although I have to agree with hotrod1940, I would have dragged my ass out of bed too, but hey, so you messed up, it happens. I tell my kids, if you make a mistake or hurt someone, whether you meant to or not, own it, apologize, and make it right; today you did that in spades, well done!
    Keep doing what your doing man.

19. Well, I've learned several things reading this thread. I grew up in Massachusetts and settled in Maryland after my Navy time. Now I'm considered a New Englander again. I've always been considered a Yankee by about any Marylander who catches my "accent".
    I got up early on Saturday to get a space inside the fence, like I do every year, although I thought me and the other early birds would get blocked out to let the road to Rte 450 clear out.
    Outside of Ranunculus introducing himself when I signed the banner, and the few I locals I know, I don't think I could have picked out another HAMBer from his avatar.
    Ryan, didn't get to meet you, but I hope you enjoyed the cars and your trip.
    Richard

20. Spike!

Spike!

Ryan- I'm embarrassed that you were made to feel guilty about absolutely nothing. we finally get one of the cool kids over and now I'm sure that you think we're all a bunch of pussies.. I'm with the group that happened to have loved your story, as it were. I was there. It was un-eventful. It needed some spicing up. For those of you that bitched, and I don't care who you are, thanks for the embarrassment.

I don't know if you remember this Ryan, but I had sent you a PM maybe a year or two ago, stating there were two car shows I really wish you could experience. One was the Jalopy-Rama. The other was the Jalopy Showdown. Sorry about suggesting two shows. I have it narrowed down to one now. I can guarentee there wil be no such complaining. Some people need to try Vagisil.

You were invited to the show as a spectator and you did the show the way you wanted. I guess they lied when they said there were no expectations from you. I tried to leave you alone, but, to be honest, I really wanted to meet you. To talk cars. to show you some of the cool stuff we have over here.

Yes, you missed the load in, but you never would have made it anyway. You didn't even get to the hotel until after that all happened anyway. The load in s very cool, but Hell...it wasn't meant to be. I'm pretty sure you weren't given an itinerary. You also missed a very cool ride through Annapolis in that brown raodster..don't worry...I took that ride for you and it was killer. Damn near perfect. No regrets..hahaha

I still cant believe that you are appologizing.. you are far more gracious that I...but then, I also can't believe that anyone complained..

Normally I stand by the home team, but I'm siding with the Texans on this one.

Pennsylvania is the North by the way..come meet some real Yankees... sorry about the whole bitch crowd.

Spike

21. I still think the first thread was real and this one is gonzo. That way it seems like Ryan is less boring than me. Either way I don't see what the big deal was because you were on vacation. When somebody starts to tell me what time to get up on vacation that's where I would have a problem. To the 0600 crowd we only sleep in because we can and me working 3rd shift might have something to do with it as well. As Ricky Nelson once said " you can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself".

22. I wouldn't know Ryan if I bumped into him face first. But after reading the HAMB for as long as I have I was surprised he even mentioned he was going north. The fact he missed the meet and great was no surprise either.

When he says he's a hermit I can believe it. Just read his musings on The Garage Journal. He hates the general area of that site. He cant understand why people that have become "internet buddies" like having a place just to shoot the shit.

Anyone that expects him to be something he obviously isn't just doesnt get it. Keep up the good work Ryan, personally I didn't see the need for an apology, but good on you for appeasing the unhappy few.

23. seatex

seatex

sorry, I just couldnt get past the first page without sounding off.............."willing to forgive and move on"???? REALLY?:confused:
    tell 'ya what, lothi, come on down to the Roundup in Austin and we won't give a shit what time you show up, you know why?
    Because this country is about freedom, choose your own interpretation. Personally, I enjoyed the "Gonzo Post", and anyone who took that literally hasnt been hanging around the Journal very long.
    This ain't Goodboys, and it sure as hell ain't full of folks with crying babydolls leaning against their car.
    Man up? WOW..............try it, you may throw away your pantyhose.:rolleyes:

24. autobilly

autobilly

25. striper

striper

Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide...

Hmmmm.... must be something ambiguous about the above statement. Who the fuck is Ryan anyway?

26. seatex

seatex

Okay, I was trying to give up on this post, but this made me glad I didn't! Just wish I'd seen it before I posted!:D (no, that AIN'T an apology!)

27. Ryan,
    Sorry I missed you as I had to leave early but thanks for coming up to the Jalopyrama. It's a can't miss show for me even if it is only for a couple of hours,
    Keep up the good work.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like this group better when we all just talk hot rods.

29. Grumbler

Grumbler

Alcohol consumption, killer hangovers, sleeping it off......ah, whats the issue here anyway? All seems very "traditional" to me :D

30. slammed

slammed

I 'heard' Hunters voice while reading the 1st Gonzo Post. He haunts your keyboard, doesn't he? WAS looking forward to Pt. 2 being the same. In this thread the communication/expectations were executed. MC duties next year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.