Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Transmission Adapter To Mustang T5 Bolt Pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Does anybody make an adapter that will allow the user to bolt a Mustang T5 to the Chevy bellhousing?

2. AMC Bellhousing. Used in Jeeps, Spirits etc.

3. I actually need something more along the lines of an adapter plate. I've got a 364 Buick Nailhead and a Mustang WC T5. I found the Eelco bellhousing that lets the user bolt up the Nailhead to a Chevy transmission, but I would still need an adapter plate to make it work. Its either that or just get a WC T5 Chevy case. Those are slim pickings around these parts. If you do find one, they always end up looking like a used Harley transmission case: i.e., all used up.

I figured someone out there would have had these same needs at some point. Someone out there has to make an adapter plate.

4. I was working on an adapter but did not like my how my pattern was turning out. A Texas HAMBer is still working on one I believe.

5. What about that AMC bellhousing? Which one is it off of the Jeeps that works with the SBC and the Mustang T5 bolt pattern? Turns out the Nailhead thing fell through, but I still have my SBC. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the bell would you?

6. squirrel

squirrel

the little Chevy 4 cylinder (154? 153?) has the same bell as the chevy V8. BUt not all of them, just some of them, make sure it's not the small V6 type bell used in S-10s and front drives.

or find a mexican chevy truck from the 80s with a tremac

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

153 Chevy II engine as used in the Jeep has the std Chevy bellhousing patten.

8. I can get a picture later, GM on the block side, Ford on the tranny side. Mine was out of a CJ5

9. Is this it?

Attached Files:

10. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Mike Forte in MA. He was the first guy - or one of the first - to put the Mustang trans into GMs before Tremec had GM models available. The early conversions used an adaptor.

http://www.fortesparts.com/

11. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

What clutch (flywheel, pressure plate, throw out) set up is used with that Chevy to Ford bellhousing ?

12. Snarl

Snarl

No.

early 80's 2.5L in some jeeps. Looks just like a Chevy V8 bell, but with the Ford trans bolt pattern.

It uses the small 153 tooth flywheel. The center hole size is different than Chevy or Ford, so either change the bearing retainer to one from an AMC T5, or turn down the Ford retainer (I think the Ford is larger than the AMC IIRC??).

Also Astro vans with the 4.3 and T5 used the Ford pattern, but these will have the Chevy center hole size.

I have an adapter plate, but it is intended for using the '93-up Chevy T5 with ford pattern and Chevy center hole size. Punch out the center hole or switch bearing retainers...

Some Ford T5's have a larger diameter tip on the input shaft, so a custom pilot bushing would be needed.
    There are also several different lengths of inputs on the Ford T5's, not sure that any of them will work without using an adapter plate just to move it back so it will fit....

13. Thanks for adding Snarl. My notes and interchange info are at home.

14. Astro, huh? Didn't even think about that. I believe my T5 is the one WC with the shorter snout, but I also believe pigs will fly if you have a high enough hill. :D I guess there is really no real way to tell until I find the right bellhousing as to how long the shaft really is. Your information really puts me into the right direction though. Thanks man.

15. How about a steel bell, like Lakewood, and re-drill for the 'stang tranny?

16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go the Lakewood route, just order the correct one that puts a Ford trans behind a Chevy.

17. Andy

Andy

I thought Speedway sold a small adapter plate that bolted to the stock Chevy pattern and allowed a Ford trans to bolt to that.

18. mosimpson

mosimpson

19. Snarl

Snarl

O yeah, I forgot about the Lakewood bell. Being steel, you should be able to easily modify one to accept the Ford trans, should you not find one that has it already.

20. Funny you should mention that. I have all the parts laid out to modify an old lakewood for the GM/Ford T5 and early bellhousing mount sarter!

21. Found one today almost by accident on an online auction site :)D). Got it heading this way.

Attached Files:

22. Good job, thats the one I have. Sorry I did not get a pic snapped, 3 of us in the house sharing the computer!

23. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Why dont you trade the mustang T5 for a Camero T5.

24. Thanks man. It's all good. I've got the same problem. :D

There are more Mustang T5's than there are Camaro T5's in the world, so the Mustang T5 is much cheaper. Plus, most of the Camaro T5's I've found are trashed. Its almost like buying a basket-case Harley or Indian from an old biker. "Used" means used up. :eek:

25. I got my bellhousing yesterday and spent the next three hours cleaning it. Yall should have seen all of the shit that was in it. To make a long story short, the best thing to get a greasy, sandy mess out of an engine part is to spray the part down with WD40 first, wait a few minutes, and then spray it down with carburetor cleaner. It does wonders. The shit just melts off with very little work.

26. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Home made FORD mustang transmission to chevy bellhousing adapter build:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1) I made a pointed bolt 7/16ths I think. on the lathe that screwed into the bellhousings.
    2) bolted the bellhousing down onto the mill bed.
    3) installed 1/4" pointer in mill spindle
    4) manual jogged mill till pointer and sharpened bolt lined up, wrote down measurements
    5) using a old version of autocad, using center hole to align two bolt patterns I super imposed one over the other.
    6) printed out bolt locations..
    7) cut a 11" wide x 9" tall square plate, lower left front is 0,0 bolt holes drilled in these locations and you can copy with any drill press with readout or.. if you are real good you can print the pattern 1:1 out and punch the drill holes.. lemme tell ya, that 5.114 hole is a "bit"... well..
    Ford pattern, drill and tap 7/16ths (I think.. maybe metric?)
    x1.1513 Y7.1527
    x8.7865 Y1.1190
    x2.4870 Y0.9122
    x0.9207 Y7.7225
    Chev pattern drill .48 hole
    x9.855 Y7.7225
    x0.7824 Y2.9160
    x9.9293 Y2.8378
    x9.2430 Y7.5307

5.114 center hole at x5.1004 Y5.7374 Chevy bellhousing I have has a larger hole in the center to carry the pilot shaft.. it does not "rest" on the edge.. meaning it does not carry the load like the center on a car wheel.. so?? the center can be larger than needed.. if the other holes are "perfect".. I am making mine fit tight, cause I like to turn things loose at times.

Top right TWO holes missed, all others lined up. (drill bit went off on a tangent?). NOW.. I don't remember when I calibrated the 1976 model cnc last, so do a plywood test pattern or sheet metal and check on your machine before committing to a steel adapter. It is supposed to be "right" but.....

I am laminating three 1/4" plates to make the required 3/4" thick spacer-adapter. Reason why the plate is so large. I plan on bolting them together around the perimeter.

[​IMG]

NOW, gotta make it pretty.. grind, round corners, then powdercoat it.
    Cost? (big pain in the ass) cheaper to buy.

One of the corners missed on both plates.. I have no clue HOW??
    What I'm putting my behind, this mustang tranny is kinda special, low geared first, very high fifth overdrive.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590294&page=2

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, GENERAL MOTORS makes one. All of the BW transmissions after 1993 used in GM cars have the FORD bell housing pattern.

28. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Lakewood bellhousing 15060 is a chevy to ford pattern, about $450. (summit or Jegs) I've had No luck finding a camaro V8 93 up bellhousing, And Are they cable or hydraulic? (ain't nuttin like sitting at a redlight with the clutch mc or slave failing.. and the big V8, light car starts creeping fwd with clutch on floor, heat from headers smoke em) *and then more stuff to change and buy..

From the GM dealer? probably buy a Lakewood cheaper.

How about input shaft length? do you still have to put in a spacer, note the lakewood mentions it is for a toploader ford pattern..

Man, I woke up with a headache. Now all this OCD comparative thinking.
    (ahh got a simple job today, putting in power windows in my 57)