Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chevy S10 front clip or whole frame under a 1951 up Studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bearhawke, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke
    from Arizona

Has anybody here done a Chevy S10 (2WD) frame swap or at least a front clip swap under a Stude?

Why I wonder is such a conversion would give modern brakes, steering and suspension as well as easy mtg points for a SB Chevy.

2. The Shocker

The Shocker

Is it a Stude car or truck ? I have took part in a late model frame swap or two under an old car and its alot of work ,but i thought it was worth it in the end personally .A clip installation and rearend change is alot easier ...

3. jedrattle

jedrattle

If it is a truck, it will be real narrow in the front end, and look like crap!

4. badshifter

badshifter

You could just buy an S10 and drive it. Put the Studebaker emblems on it. Modern drive train, old look. Just an option....

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yep and would have more class than the frame swap brand X motored thing.

6. Terraizer

Terraizer

There is a 1951 2dr sedan on a S-10 chassis on the Denver Craigslist, it looks really good in the pics.

7. roddinron

roddinron

Hmmmm, and yet, it's for sale.:rolleyes:

8. Bearhawke

Bearhawke
    from Arizona

Car like a Lark, Land Cruiser, etc. I would not modify any sort of Hawk/Starlite in that manner unless starting out with a clapped out POS.

And I would prefer to weld up an S10 front stub to the Stude frame rails which would eliminate fiddlefarting around with custom body to frame mounts, rear bumper mtg issues, etc. :)

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

you dont own the car yet? and already looking for advice on a frame swap...

Ok, dont.

get a car with a decent frame and use the stocker, its funny they bolt up just like they were made for one another.

as for the brand x motor,,, if you get a car with a decent drivetrain theres no reason to swap it. parts for studey motors are easy to find and reasonable in price too. They provide plenty of power and will live a long time. Get good mileage too compared to other cars of the day, in fact mine with the 170 six and a tall gear gets 28 mpg and will run 80 all day long.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Depending on how much you are willing to consider spending, you might want to check out www.slickstreetstuff.com . Complete bolt on replacement front suspension, "A" arms with ball joints, spindles, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering gear, larger anti roll bar...requires some suppporting mods such as modifying or replaceing your steering column to hook up with the R&P, brake master cylinder upgrade for the disc/drum system. But, no frame mods, no welding, just wrenching.

Ray

11. ckltrk

ckltrk
    from Peoria, Il

Hello There, I: am in the process of putting a Fatman stub under my '51 Stude Champ. I looked at the s-10, but thought the rails were too wide. Have an LS1 to go in next.

12. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I can understand the front and rear swap but an LS1. Seriously?

13. ckltrk

ckltrk
    from Peoria, Il

14. catman

catman
    from El Reno

ls-1 =serious power