Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SCTA Clubs... 1948

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. It seems I've seen a "head-on" shot from that day. I may be confused with the one like that they took on the salt, but I recall seeing pavement. It'll take me forever to find it, I'm sure.

I wonder what it is that has the attention of the little boy by the Dolphins belly tank and the guy perched on the Oakland Roadster Club car.

Good stuff, though.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Always loved the pic. That roadster looks like something Eddie Dye would have built.........or ZACH SUHR.

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Never been perched on top of a latter...been on a ladder a time or two.

Love that I can really see painted cars, not a bunch of primer rides. The duvall windshield and the chin look great on the Stroker's car. Right along with the louvers.

Whats the "old dude" doing in the back? Looks frustrated!!

5. Maybe the old dude realized instead of purchasing the "New" Dodge, he could have had something that really cooks!!:)

6. latter?;)

Always have dug that picture myself.

7. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

:)Great photo. Spelling police, busting on the big guy.:)

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I SUCK at spelling... Public school systems of west texas did me in...

9. And Ryan knows its all in good fun!

Naw, I think was that upside down pass in the drag car:p

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe...

Attached Files:

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the speed graphic...your view is through the back: which makes the image upside down and backwards.

12. One of my fav pics for sure. I too have always wondered about that 28/29 roadster. Love the hood, trunk and "nose" on it. I've also been trying to locate any info on the killer little 26/27 with the shiny cowl lid. Both cars looks killer!

13. That is a great photo ... and rumor has it that the photographer was actually not perched on a ladder ... but rather on the shoulder's of a hot rodder from Bell/Maywood California ... a 16 year old kid named Ed Roth ... and we all know that later in life, "Big Daddy" became a Mormon (aka Latter Day Saint) ... so quit busting Ryan's chops about his "spelling". :rolleyes: :D

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

The roadster might be the one own by a man of the last name Courtney. He was the uncle of a friend of mine John Courtney. I believe that is a Hallock (sp) windsheld and his uncle's car had that style of windshield. John's uncle's car was pictured in a group shot in the first issue of Hot Rod I believe. I will try to dig that issue out and see it appears to be the same car.

John

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty cool pic, hadn't seen that one before. Isn't 1948 a bit early for good color like that, or was it doctored up some?

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Color film is around as early as WW1. By post WW2, it is available.

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

One of the best pix to date.....

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

edit....wrong info

refer to JimmyB's post....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  20. Von Franco

Von Franco

Clubs are for SEALS...................

21. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

As are lead filled snow shoes. :eek: Still a cool picture.

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

one of my favorite pics. I wonder where the pics from the rest of the roll are? ;)

23. jjsound

jjsound

I believe that the car in question belonged to one of the members of the "strokers"...

24. That is a Great Photo and was taken by Don Cox it is included in the Birth of Hot Rodding book. The Right side of the photo is cut off bottom right should show Doane Spencer's roadster. The roadster with the Bip is actually Art Tremaine's roadster it is pictured on pg 97 and 119 of Birth of Hot Rodding. It was later Olds powered and ran as a drag car in Texas and featured in HRM it is rumored to survive somewhere in Texas.
    scans from Drag Roadsters............picture thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

It's a real pain to get a group shot together, so, I suspect that's why there are so few...but those of them that were shot are real jewels.

Just goes to show that this summer's events would be a good time for more of these group photos...all you need is a ladder and a loud voice...

What is a pain in the neck today is tomorrow's historic photo....

[​IMG]

26. autobilly

autobilly

Great photo indeed! The angle looks to me too high to be from the shoulders of even a tall guy like Big Daddy though.

27. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

one of my favourite shots for sure! oh to have the flat black 36 3 window (top left) to use as a tow car for my lakes roadster.
    my copy of 'The Birth of Hotrodding' is pretty well worn because it's full of great colour shots like this.

28. Robert sez he might have another book in the works. He has some new material... he once told me never again though.

29. Gaters

Gaters

I'd seen a similar photo to this except the owners were standing beside their hot rods. The Gaters CC autos are Emil Dietrich's Streamliner 2nd from left, 1st row. And Regg Schlemmer's 27 T roadster 1st car, 2nd row. The first car on the left front row is Bert Letner's (Road Runners).

GREAT Photo! Thanks for sharing.