Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jalopy Parade & Bonfire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I find it interesting that a 7 year old 1941 Hudson was concidered a Jalopy by 1948!

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

If we don't learn from our past, we are destined to repeat it.

4. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Man if they destroyed hot rods and jalopies publicly today I believe there would be a riot for sure. That just makes me angry. Fortunately I dont know of anyone now adays who would take there drivable Hot rod or jalopy or even Rat Rod to purposly be destroyed. that is insane! It would be a hell of an auction though. People buying up these cars at incredible prices instead of burning them.

5. Barz51

Barz51

Jalopies don't kill people, people kill people.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

''These event were sort of common across the country during this period and most were sponsored by new car dealers. Now that’s marketing…''

Only to be replaced with Shiney new Death Machines !

7. kinda like cash for clunkers

8. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Nice.....just like guns.

9. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

10. Government intervention knows no timelines.

There wouldn't be riots, look at the Clunker program. I saw lots of solid cars going to scrap. Not any different than these in the 40s.

11. onedge

onedge

Wow didnt know that happened. And all the cool wreckers.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the only sign that makes any sense at all is "repair them or destroy them"

13. BLAKE

BLAKE

... I doubt that anyone will EVER be nostalgic for a '94 LeSabre that was 'thoughtlessly' scrapped by the Clunkers program.

14. RichG

RichG

It looks like they just took cars that had already been involved in accidents from the junkyard and used them for advertising... but still best not to give the idiots any ideas they can use today, they'll get it all wrong and end up just costing us a bunch of money... nevermind, too late.:p

I want the tow truck that was carrying the one car completely off the ground, that thing was tough!

15. We never know, you or I sure won't but I saw several Camaros and Firebirds here in town that SOMEONE would like.

16. retro54

retro54
    from PA

17. RDR

RDR

I could believe that kind of mentality coming out of CHICAGO....

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

Damn jalopies seemed to kill a lot of little girls :)

Rich

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All politics. Martin Kennelly was just elected mayor of Chicago the year before. His one line mayoral bio would read
    "Kennelly is best known, however, as a rather ineffectual mayor. He was never comfortable with the style of Chicago politics, and generally refrained from intra-party politics and controversy. Instead, he preferred photo opportunities and ribbon cutting to actual governance. "

Martin H. Kennelly (1887-1961) served as the mayor of Chicago from 1947 until 1955. Before embarking on his political career, Kennelly was a successful Chicago businessman, serving as the first president of Allied Van Lines starting in 1928.

Just another political move to stir up the masses. But, unfortunately, it was a wide brush that painted "jalopy"-anything with a bad image that stuck.

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sponsored by new car dealers, eh? Now they’d get the Federal Government to pay for it.

Pretty sad to see. Isn’t that Hudson nearly new?

-Dave

21. gotra66

gotra66

It is a sad sight for sure. But I agree, that now the gov't would be volunteering to pay for this kind of thing. Sad, Sad, Sad.

22. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

it's a good thing we have government agencies to protect us from ourselves, otherwise we would be a bunch of tree climbin' crap slingers.

23. seems like alot of them killers were sittin without wheels and various other parts then were plucked from weedy fields and tree groves ... good they got rid of them fourdoors and pushed the duece 3 winders in the barn

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Surprisingly, maybe some people were just as dumb back then as some are today. Maybe not much has changed after all. But, clearly, that is pretty thinly veiled disguise for trying to get people to buy some new cars and transfer some money into other people's pockets. It is not like the new cars they would have been buying were seriously and safer than many of those on the heap if they were maintained or easily fixed properly.

Most of those cars aren't even drivable as far as I can tell. So, they did nothing to make anything safer. Total bogus marking stunt. And that certainly hasn't changed much. Yesterday's Sham-Wow character.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

26. AHAHAHAHAHHAH!!! I think milk just came out of my nose and i wasnt even drinking any. Hilarious!

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

If you aren't consuming, the government will regulate you until you do buy buy buy buy buy buy buy.......

28. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

Thats why I,m a card toteing nra guy their trying to do it with guns heck bill of rights means nothin they want all are god givin rights

29. Idiots - then & now. :rolleyes:

There is no way to measure the impact of an event (I wouldn't legitimize it to the point of calling it a "program") like this but it would be interesting to know what it was. I'd be willing to bet that NO new cars were sold as a result & NO "jalopy" owners were moved to make improvements.

I'm sure it made the idiots that sponsored it feel better about themselves though.

JH