Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 32 3-W Survivor "Tuffy" part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kisam, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kisam

kisam

Part One - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397461

From now on start looking for "Tuffy". This is what the wife told me they always called the 32, even though everyone else had fancy names.

Finally, I am back home and not working out of town, so I can now get started. I had a day off Saturday so I pulled out the frame and cleaned it up a bit with a wire wheel.
    [​IMG]

Then while I was waiting on Unclee to show up, I started on the shock mounts.
    [​IMG]

When Lee got there, we assessed the frame and got out the torch and straightened it up. Then we decided that was all we could do untill the x member showed up, so we started pulling the engine apart and man was I smiling.
    [​IMG]
    Heads appear to have been rebuilt and ready
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Crank looked good and was standard
    [​IMG]
    Cylinder walls looked good and still has cross hatching and appear to be stock bore but I haven't mic'd them yet (but I can't catch a fingernail on it)
    [​IMG]
    My New Best Friend, Norm, brought me an 833 Chyrsler 4 speed to DOTD and guess what - My luck is still holding - look what was already on the engine. I think all I will need is a pilot bearing and about a '70 Mopar bellhousing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might as well open up the quick change and have a look - pretty, but no gears.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The x-member showed up yesterday, so back to the frame. That's all for now.

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...send kathy a "lucky turd" card...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There is something about a original 32 frame that gives me goose bumps. I think they are a holy grail of sorts........wait what's that? Yours came with one of the baddest 32 Coupe bodies that happend to be a significant hot rod? Lucky Turd indeed!!!

Congrats on the engine being in goon condition. Couple day a month and you should have this thing in the right direction in no time!

4. tinmann

tinmann

Lunch breaks over!!!!..... get back out there and do some more..... and post the pics........ please!! I'll be tuned in as Tuffy continues to take shape.

5. Rooney00

Rooney00

6. broncojohn

broncojohn

7. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Great story. I'm sure if you could swing giving the widow a ride when you are done would mean the world to her.

9. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Keep the updates coming !!! A great car ...........

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

11. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

Grate start keep it coming.are you using the std axle or are you going with a droped I beam.coil over or spring.

12. Cool update on you new baby:D....remember....Utah next Sept????

13. kisam

kisam

I think the wife and daughter will meet me at the salt. The wife told me that when they were dating "I could here him coming for a mile to pick me up"!

Skotz,
    That's the goal! Hoping for a roller by the first of the year!

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

very cool !

15. greaser

greaser

I'm tuned in...That coupe kicks butt!
    With your luck, you really should buy lottery tickets!

16. Harps

Harps

Awesome car, and an even better story. Can't wait to follow this and see it when you get done.

17. You're my favorite niece!

Let me add that Kathy still needs a flywheel, and after my correspondence with 73RR; I found there is an infinite number of starters/flywheels/crank-lengths & only the right combo works. (actually, there is two of each but were introduced in an overlapping and convoluted pattern that seems to mystify even the Ford fanatics) "but I mean that in a good way"

What you have on hand is:
    A. '58 (or is it '57) block/crank
    B. Wilcap adapter
    C. Some sort of crank adapter
    D. Later factory starter? but does bolt to the block adapter
    E. Flywheel offer from RichardD, '54 industrial

I guess we need to get that flywheel from Richard for mock-up and go from there? Or do we need a newer flywheel? Not sure about that aluminum flange being up to holding a real flywheel. I just have the feeling that this one item is a major stumbling block!

If anyone has some advice, Please chime in! Any help will be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!

18. 4speedman

4speedman

way cool, keep the updates coming!!

19. kisam

kisam

The block is a 57. And I did get a flywheel and clutch from Norm with the transmission. The flywheel is 162 or 3? tooth. The clutch is 10 1/2". I think the starter is the right one and on the driver's side. I was told to contact Pat with Wilcap to see about the bearing and bellhousing that I need.

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool mate keep the posts coming. You are building a lot of people's dream car. :) Just a suggesstion rather the having new "parts" for each stage of the build, try and keep it all together so its easy for us to follow along??

21. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

I've had that old pic of this car as my sceen saver forever. Love it man, can't wait to see it again.

22. Good enough! Looks like that is gonna work out, what the hell was I worried about? I'll bring some measuring instruments up next time you are off, and we can wash all that damned cosmoline off everything and see if that motor is as good as it looks. You know, seeing all those new bearings and rings and the condition of the cylinder walls makes me think that the cool old guy had it ready to assemble, just lacking a cam (and a few head bolts).

23. lorodz

lorodz

sweet build ...love it ...keep it up...

24. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Geez I don't know how I missed this one, totally cool rod.
    Was there any magazine write-ups on the car? The way other Hambers, that know the car, rave on about it there must be something in print.
    I wish I could get my wife as involved as you, she likes the cars but just wont do the grinding/sanding thing.

25. MadJack68

MadJack68

Good story. I look forward to seeing the rebuild!

26. kisam

kisam

No, no magazines that I know of, but supposedly built some Hemi's for Garlits back in the early days when he was starting out. Still trying to confirm this. Been grinding on the front end today!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  27. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The flywheel needed is a 130 tooth 70-71 426 hemi piece. I believe that Wilcap installs their pilot bearing into the flywheel, so a call to Pat should take care of things in that dept.

Do not worry about the crank flange spacer being aluminum. It is just that, a spacer.

Any 70's style small block Mopar bellhousing will work, just check for the correct size center hole. Most people opt for a late 80's early 90's V-8 mini starter ( i.e.,Dodge Dakota), as it gives a bit more room for headers, etc. All V-8 Mopar starters are on the drivers side.
    If you decide to go with a Lakewood or QuickTime housing, just purchase one for a SB Mopar application, and use with your same Wilcap adapter.

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool project i like the photos at the begining of the thread ,

29. kisam

kisam

Thanks Tom! You have been a wealth of knowlege and I so appreciate it! I am thinking a scattershield is the way to go.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  30. Louie S.

Louie S.

That car is going to be awesome, i had the privlege to see it in person and help out a little. The car is even cooler in person. Can't wait to see it done.