Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

They are old and faded but here are a few more pictures from the "Competition Press" article on the 1972 "Golden State 400" race at Riverside. My apologies for posting these tipped sideways, but these are full newspaper sized articles that I am trying to post without having to crop them too much.
    [​IMG]

2. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Donnie Allison losing the Penske AMC Matador in Riverside's "esses". Allison recovered to finish 3rd in the race.
    [​IMG]

3. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

4. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

5. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Those are neat, Norton! Seeing Hampton reminds me of what Milt Hartlauf used to say about him - "He's like good bourbon. He gets better with age."

The first photo of Benny's 98 shows he wasn't afraid to mix it up on the short tracks, and the second one is a classic lineup shot with Snow and Hampton behind him. The guy on the right with the fire extinguisher looks like the late Dave Renn, one of the best scorers I ever worked with. I remember him wearing red pants.

7. lawman

lawman

Great pictures of Andy.Wish someone could come up with some
    of him in the 60s at the old Kentucky Fair gounds track in Louisville,Ky
    Tom ( Tired Old man)

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Well, Tom, on short notice, here's the Harry Hyde-prepared Pontiac in which Andy won the 1964 Late Model Championship at the Fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

And here's the car his teammate, Jesse Baird, drove to 2nd place that year.

[​IMG]

10. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

? First Restrictor Plates ?? 1971

[​IMG]

I like the bare knuckles, skinny tires and lack of sponsors !

11. copley62

copley62

My dad (N. D. Copley) along with some other guys from Louisville used to race on Friday nights at Danville Sportsdrome (black top track) back in 1967. Just wondering if anyone out there had any photos from these races that could be posted. My dad won a track championship that year.

12. copley62

copley62

View attachment 964574 This is the only picture I have of the track. Thank you guys for posting this stuff its great to see.:)

13. Race Artist

Race Artist

BBARC ... I asked Phil Bonner about this, see below. The BBARC was on more than just the one '63 car.
    Joel

Never have known the exact time and date I used it on 54 Mercury in late 53 when we used to race at Fairburn GA, in 53 and 54. Did you know that Fireball was a good friend of mine and raced several times in my drag cars. I was around that Chevy, Paul McDuffy was one of the owners.He ddied at Darlington, in the pits. I think we were first, in 53, but don't bet on it, to many years to remember.Just like my memory I'm getting old. Will see you in Bowling green. Phil

-----Original Message-----
    To: philbonner
    Sent: Sat, May 1, 2010 6:19 pm
    Subject: BBARC

Hi Phil,

I trust that you are enjoying things in Costa Rica? The weather is finally warming up here in NJ. Winters get harder to handle with each passing year. Oh well.

I have a question for you ... I've noticed on the back of Fireball Roberts' '57 Chevy that the BBARC initials are there and some NASCAR history guys have said they stand for Builders of Bad Ass Race Cars ... your's was Bonner's Bad Ass Race Car(s) ... was there a connection between the intitials, an anecdote/parody or just coincidence. I know that you knew alot of the NASCAR people from those days. I wonder if you might take a few minutes to talk about it? Thanks.

Joel

Joel Naprstek
    www.JFNStudios.net

14. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

15. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, that photo looks like the Fairgrounds.

17. lawman

lawman

Thanks John. Those Hampton pictures made my day. Tom ( Tired Old man)

18. copley62

copley62

View attachment 965562 I think you are right, the photo album I have is 40 years old. I am guessing at some of the photos. Thanks for catching that. Have you heard of that track.

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, I was there several times. It was a neat place.

In the Fairgrounds photo, you can see Freedom Hall and the baseball stadium in the background.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  20. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's a post for today - this is a Sportsman race at Kil-Kare Speedway, probably in 1966. "WACO" Wayne Watercutter - arguably one of the best driver names ever. "WACO" came by his nickname honestly. Wayne actually ran some ARCA races later and had a win, or two. This is an early-on pohto in his career.

Enjoy.

Vegas Oldtimer

[​IMG]

21. Racewriter

Racewriter

Here's Wayne in the car he ran in his NASCAR debut, 1979 Nashville 420, finished 12th:

[​IMG]

When I Googled his name, it appears that he's still semi-active in the American Modified Series. This series also features other old names like L.J. Lines and John Lawhorn.

22. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Wayne Watercutter ARCA wreck

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Not sure where to post this, but maybe somebody knows somebody else who is interested, or can redirect it for me.
    I know where there is a 1965 Plymouth 2 door hardtop, 440, 4-speed. Been sitting in the woods for a long time, so engine and transmission would probably have to be gone through. Guy won't part it out, but slap on some blue paint and letter it right and you have a Petty replica (or paint and letter to suit). PM me to be put in touch with the guy. Wants $1,000.

25. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

26. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

As far as I'm remembering, IndyJohn, the 440 motor was not an option in any '65 Plymouth, so the motor (and probably the trans) has already been replaced once anyway. In '65 Chrysler offered a 383 or a 426 wedge as their hi-pf street options and a Hemi for their all out race cars. In '66, Chrysler offered the 426 "Street Hemi" to legitimize the motor for Nascar racing (Nascar ruled in late '65 that a motor had to be offered in the showroom for street vehicles to be eligible to run at their tracks) and the 440 became available throughout the Mopar lineup in '67. Long time ago so I will stand corrected if the ol' memory has faded too much.

27. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

28. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Kris Meyn, Spencer Speedway(NY)

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Beentherebefore! I appreciate the help.

30. Falconred

Falconred

FUZZY" ORANGE TALKS WITH LARRY MOORE AS MIKE HEAD LOOKS ON AT DIXIE SPEEDWAY, NDRA RACE.
    [​IMG]<!-- / message -->