Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. B99

B99
    from indiana

Dean Roper, Butch Garner

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Vercauteren77, I use PhotoBucket. Others, I'm sure, have sites they prefer.

I remember once in the 90s when I was acting as race director at Boswell and your dad was there for a race. He mentioned that he was going down to the car and have a few cheese curds.

I said "CHEESE CURDS? You brought CHEESE CURDS?" He brought a bag up to the tower for me. That was another reason I loved racing in Wisconsin. Actually, the only thing wrong with going up there to race was that when you came home, you had to walk really careful for a couple of days. If you fell down you were liable to break your liver.

3. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

Al Unser at New Bremen

4. copley62

copley62

Hey guys thanks for the photos. Racewriter and Vegas Oldtimer I greatly appreciate your time for the photos. The one here in the middle with jacket is my dad. This site is awesome Bigjohn!!!!:) View attachment 958681

5. Have you guys checked out the photo archive at Racer's Reunion? TONS of awesome vintage photos from the 40's - the late 80's/early 90's!

6. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

nickeychevy60. just a few that i got from some friends (2) and the one i had of my dad's car driven by bill finley with vandemer going under him i lost(gave to a guy to copy and never got it back.)most of my pics are of ken finley and a few others that he raced with.is there someone you are looking for? do have some home movies on tapes of racing 60 to 62 (in color). tom

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I like the Racers Reunion site, too. Only problem I've found is that they can't decide where to put the modifieds - stock cars or open wheels, so they put 'em in both places.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

previous page shows butch lindley in the v6 chevy. i can't remember the story on this car.was it a dillion house car? someone refresh my old mind:confused:

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

As I recall, it was a Dillon house car, but ASA had some input. The idea was to see if the V6 was going to be competitive. As I said earlier, Pancho Carter and Darrell Waltrip also drove it.

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

[​IMG]
    This is a repost the 1973 Riverside Permatex race article since some of the posters on here said that they couldn't read my first attempt.

11. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif............June, 1971...........Winston Golden State 400.

Pictures and article from "Competition Press" (now known as "Autoweek").

[​IMG]

12. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif............June, 1972......."Golden State 400"
    [​IMG]

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

Nice shots. Would you by any chance be known as "Belanger99" on Trackforum?

14. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Does anyone know what B.B.A.R.C. stands for on the back of fireballs 57 Chevy. This was also on one of Phil Bonners Ford drag cars

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  15. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

OK, here's one for today. Shady Bowl Speedway in DeGraf, Ohio. Photo shot in 1965 or 1966. Car # 78 - who is SHE ?

As far as I know this wasn't a Powder Puff race - she's racing with the boys. All my other shots on this roll were the "regular" weekly guys.

Going through these old photos is FUN !

Enjoy,

Vegas_Oldtimer

[​IMG]

16. Racewriter

Racewriter

Some memories for me in that one. That looks like DuQuoin Usac about 1980. Every one of those guys raced with my Dad, if I am right about the 11. The 17 is '73 IMCA champion Gordy Blankenship, the 11 (I think) is Kevin Gundaker, and the 85 is Johnny Prior. Johnny raced that same car in the Daytona Mod/Grand American 200 that year and finished top 5. My mother spent many races on the scoring stand next to Johnny's wife and said that Mrs. Prior could usually pick up one extra lap for him in a 100 lapper and never get caught. :D

17. Falconred

Falconred

I had always heard that it meant "Bonner's Bad Assed Race Car" on Phils car but I don't know how that would tie in with Fireball's car. May have been something to do with an Atlanta area tuner or something. May be Blonds, Brunetts, and Redheads C???. Darned if I know.

18. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Bonner told us the same when he was here at work one time. It even looks to be painted the same style on both cars. I guess the next time he comes buy I'll show him the pictures .

19. B99

B99
    from indiana

sm66p has....

Gordie Blankenship in the Team Jesus Mirada and Kevin Gundaker in the Gundaker (ex Rusty Wallace) Firebird at DuQuoin

Second photo is Johnny Prior in his own Camaro at DuQuoin. Both photos 1981 I believe.

20. B99

B99
    from indiana

21. navy48

navy48

track looks too wide.....maybe one of the first races at Pocono?

22. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Someone posted this on another message board and am trying to help him find out what track this is. He believs the track is in New York or possibly Conn. or Mass. It was filmed in the early '70's.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_R2bkOlwI

23. Racewriter

Racewriter

I don't think so; that's a '68 Charger which would have put it in '68 or '69. USAC didn't run at Pocono until '71 at the earliest. My guess is Hanford, CA.

24. Calhoun

Calhoun

USAC stocks didn't run at Hanford after 1965.

It's 1968, because he ran number 3 in '67 and number 4 in '69.

Could it be New Bremen, OH? Al ran at least 3 races there in 1968. I've only seen that track on some Wallen videos.

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think Calhoun may have the answer. Looking at it closer, the wall looks too high for IRP.

26. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Thursday night post:

ARCA race at Eldora, probably in 1966. Who is driver ? In all my ARCA photos, this is the only one I have of this car, so I'm thinking it was a one race deal. It's a lot prettier than most of the ARCA cars of the day - must have been new. Can't read the name on the roof - Mike "something" ? Any help is always appreciated...
    Veags_Oldtimer

[​IMG]

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Dang, Steve. The mind won't recall the driver, but for some reason I remember the car.

28. Calhoun

Calhoun

Wayne Brockman drove a #42 Ford in the ARCA race at Salem on 8/21/66. Think it might be him?

29. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Calhoun - I think you got it ! If I squint real hard at the name on the roof I think it could read "Wayne". Looks like the right amount of letters, too.

Vegas_oldtimer

30. Falconred

Falconred

Here's some from Dixie Speedway back in the NDRA days:

Dixie start............................................................Doug Kennimer in the Monks car
    [​IMG], [​IMG],
    Larry Moran
    [​IMG]