Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Devin SS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

The Devins are so cool. From www.race-cars.com: Originally street titled in Indiana in 1959. Restored by Jim McHenry with later work done by Lalinsky Engineering. 1940 Ford frame with 9" Ford rear axle and solid front axle from period; 4-bar suspension front and rear. Boxed and reinforced frame. Lalinsky built 297 cid Chevy with Hilborn injection - extremely reliable & powerful no-expense spared motor. Vertex magneto. Accusump. Close ratio ST10 transmission. Halon fire system. Engine has 8 events since being built - in excellent condition. Ford 11' x 3 1/2" drum brakes. Steel wheels.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

4. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

You just mailing this one in? What's with the vagueness of the article? Your dad had one? Give us some more tech details! Some examples of races and where they placed. Maybe some more history of the builder?

Sheesh man! It's a sweet car, don't be such a tease!

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That's beautiful Jay.

6. A freind of mine dad's just found a unmolested shell which he is making ready to race in SCCA. It will probably have a SB in it with a Jag rear. It is a very cool car, and definitely put together by a hot rodder, then and now.

Attached Files:

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow!!! What a find!!!

Pretty cool car but it's got a Chevy Engine....yuk!!! Just kidding I love it! You may as well as those old pics to the Early Chevy V8 thread I started too!

8. DrJ

DrJ

I think the most significant thing he did was to drive overhead cams with timing belts instead of chains when "everyone else" said it wouldn't work.
    Now it's the industry standard!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 80's I had one of those bodies in the raw fiberglass I am in the process of trying to buy it back from the guy I sold it to as he hasn't done anything with it and I finally figured out how to work fiberglass while working on my boat.

They sold for a pretty low price when they were new but they are the last word in bare bones body as the shell is all you get with no extras.

10. 296ardun

296ardun

The Devin I remember the best was a modified sports car run by Denny Weinberg...(at least I remember it as a Devin, around '59?). He ran a Potvin-blown Chrysler, which somehow fit in the engine room...ran really well at San Gabriel, etc...anyone else remember it?

11. duste01

duste01

MMMNNNNnnnnnn, tastey.

12. Looks like anything bigger than a small block of some kind would cut into the footroom!

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, Jive-Bomber, I'd love to read more.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Back around 1999 I was in a restoration shop in Oldmar, Florida and they were just taking the mold off of a body and when I looked close they told me it was a Devin.

Not sure how they received the mold but it sure looked good.

They told me that they number each one they make. I don't think they make very many of them.

The name of the restoration shop was Special Cars Only and they are still in business turning out real high end work.

The restoration work went from street rods to real vintage old cars.

One day a very large transporter showed up with a vintage race car from France and I asked them if it was there for a restoration and they told me they had restored the car about 6 years ago and then it was shipped back to France for more years of vintage car races.

The car was back for another restoration after 6 years of road racing.

Jimbo

Jimbo

15. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I have always loved these cars!
    I think Devin borrowed Jim Orrs Scaglietti-bodied Ermini 1100 to pull a mold off of, basic body sold for about $295.00 in the 1950s.
    I think Jive Bomber will tell you that these bodies were very THICK and well made.
    You could get them in wheelbases from 78 to 106 and tread widths from 40 to 52 inches to accommodate about any engine or drivetrain you wanted.
    But the complete cars..... ohhhh now thats a different story!
    VERY RARE indeed to find one, (not many made, 15?) folks you are looking at something very special from the 1950s.
    I want one! HELL I WANT THAT ONE! :D

16. with.disdain

with.disdain

I once wrenched on a D-model Devin with Porsche/VW running gear. It was a beautiful machine. It's one of those classic cars that seems most at home on a track with numbers painted on the doors. It also looks likely to go airborne at anything over highway speed. That car burned a place for itself deep into my brain.

Once I'm Leno-rich (kind of like Oprah-rich but with different priorities), it will be mine.

For some reason the SS model escaped my attention. Thanks for the post!

Brian.

17. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

[ D-model Devin with Porsche/VW running gear. -- Brian

I know where there's a D-model sitting all grown up in weeds and vines, with a flat four of some sort. It's been sitting outside a long time in South Texas, and I'd be afraid the 'glass might be kind of brittle and flaky. It's in front of a garage, and I drove up to look at it, but nobody paid me any mind. It seems to have been forgotten. I'll check if you want.[​IMG]
    Fearless

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  18. Dean Moon's Moonbeam Devin

Attached Files:

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Brilliant looking car and a brilliant performer too I am sure. Turned my crank and had to jump right on and say so!

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not to get all political or dramatic on ya, I love these kinds of cars and designers (and oval racers, too) because you can trace the evolution of hot rodding thru their higher-tech adventures and designs in them. These guys started out with the stuff they had at hand and made it go faster, get lower, get more streamlined, stop better, corner better, use better metals, etc., etc.. Their quest for speed, their craftsmanship, their eagerness to engage new ideas and technology is what led them eventually build such seemingly O/T - anti-HAMB vehicles. Good on all of them - guys like Shelby, Gurney, Kurtis, Miller, Hall, Watson, to name a few of the 100s of folks who did it their way. Gary

21. And before Shelby, Gurney, Kurtis, Miller, Hall, Watson, Blachowsky, Cunningham, and countless others there was Harry Miller, the best of them all.

http://www.milleroffy.com/

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Harry Miller was, quite simply, the greatest creative figure in the history of the American racing car"[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=-2]Griffith Borgeson[/SIZE]

Dig it.

trakrodstr

22. with.disdain

with.disdain

Thanks for the offer, but I haven't got the time or the space to store it until I do have the time. Too many projects as it is...

Brian

23. rupert pupkin

rupert pupkin
    from oregon

all i have to say is beautiful

24. DrJ

DrJ

25. gearhead49

gearhead49

I saw my first Devon at a local car show last fall and took the opportunity to look it over real good. The thing was built like a tank. I fell in love with it.

26. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Ryan, does you dad still have it?

BTW, did'nt you used to do some road racing?

27. Don't forget Joe Lunati ' s "Troublemaker" out of Memphis....

Attached Files:

28. jessem

jessem
    from USA

Barn Finds just did a write up on a 1958 Devin SS that is for sale. Sounds like it could be a real one.

29. No way. I looked at the pics on ebay, and NOTHING is finished or welded. It might be a Devin body, but that was NEVER a complete car...

(Does look like a fun project though...)

30. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

not anymore