Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Beauty Of Speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Can you tell me more about image #4?

Norton

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was just going through a bunch of these same images and cars with Hotdamn a couple days ago simply in aww. These cars look like they have been blown out of glass the way that they simply roll and streamline themselves in what seems to be a natural design for liquids. I will always go back to cars like this when I need a real kick in the ass and to see what we are are capable of as builders.

They also make me want to rent the new Speed Racer movie that came out.......well maybe I won't go that far.

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

great post ryan,
    i really never really studied cars like your showing, so i dont know much history on any of them but ive had this picture saved for quite some time, its in an album that is my screen saver here at work
    every time it comes to this car i stop and look at it a minute
    theres something about it....
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Image 18 = Image 20 + new paint... and engine? Wonder what the history is there?

Great album.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Speed is wonderful
    Everytim I see a streamliner..... they remind me of Manta rays......

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Was happy to see Jocko Johnson's work represented,another one of HotRodding's genius types who puts lots of the highbuckers/throw money at it guys to shame.

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Maybe it's a right brain vs left brain thing.

While there's an unmistakeable beauty not only in the curves and colors, but also the setting.......

What drives the beauty is intelligence, no matter how hard I stare at each contour, cannot shake the underlying knowledge that they are purposeful. And that purpose is more than beauty. It's not a sculpture or a static display, it's the closest to a living creature we can create by purposeful design.

To know that engineering and intelligence can flow so naturally into something so beautiful, it makes you wonder if engineering and art are as disconnected as the modern world says. The earliest masters, were masters of both genres.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

extra cool stuff!

they made a toy of this one back in the old days. it's about 15 inches long. any decent example goes for about $600.00 on up

[​IMG]

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure about that? There were 4 of the 'Jocko liners' built. One very much like image 20 came to grief at the hands of Norm Longfield here in Australia in the 90s.:mad:
    The Moonliner is still out there, though the Allison V12 is gone from it (not sure whats in it now) the car still wears the same paint.
    Jocko Johnson is a legend! Wonder if 'triple nickel' will ever get built?
    Doc.

12. I don't know about you, but I think about what makes my eye happy first. Everything else has to fall into place around it. Those types of shots always make me happy though.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be Henry Seagraves 'Golden Arrow', held the outright LSR in 1929 at 231.446, run on Daytona beach.
    Doc.

14. Thanks for the great pictures - good variety in the shape/form solutions different people have used to try and achieve similar goals.
    My view has always been that vehicles, (as well as planes, boats, etc.) which are thought of as beautiful are most often those which achieve harmony in art and engineering, and meet or exceed their intended objectives. Not always the case no doubt but, I think my favorites would fit that discription.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure at all. I know none of the history and had no idea there were four of them. Just saw the obvious similarity of the shape. The whole thing was meant to be a question. (just put the mark in the wrong place)

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I love this stuff, but the one bike pic seems out of place with all that history... Maybe something like the Moto Guzzi v8 with the dustbin fairing would have been more at home there... I don't know if it was ever run for a LSR but it sure as hell would have been neat to see. I know there is at least one in a private collection here in the states...

Attached Files:

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D'UH! No its obvious its a question, now I look again!:rolleyes: I cant remember if it was a Jocko idea or he was commissioned by Dean Moon to design the car. The Moon car was never raced I believe and was only used for promotional purposes. It eve ended up green for a Kirin Metz beer ad once. I'm sure it was the second one that ended up out here, was totaled racing. (Why, for the love of god why race something so rare these days?)
    Doc

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Slippery when wet........

Attached Files:

19. banjorear

banjorear

Not much junk comes out of Germany.

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Did'nt some big Museum have a display of some of these?

21. I am kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I have a hard time relating to "streamliners".
    While I can fully appreciate the beauty in their design and singularity of purpose, I feel like a little kid looking at a spaceship. It is either just a dream or at the very least something I will never fully comprehend. I went to Bonneville for the first time this year and when I looked at Poteet's streamliner and some of the others I felt totally overwhelmed.:eek:
    I do loooove to look at them though.
    Thank you for broadening the HAMB horizon once again, its why I love this place.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I have always thought old sport racers, Can Am cars and 60's and older formula cars were the nicest road racing cars ever built. These land speed record cars are just a nice.
    Sports racing was one class of road racing I wanted to try but never got to, the class was empty by the time I got there.

jim h

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's really amazing is to see some of these cars with the skins off. Seems like there is something packed into every available cubic inch of space inside the skins. Truly beautiful craftsmanship in most of them, engineered to the 'enth degree.

24. My Dad had a slot-car racing kit from the 1960s and I always loved that style of car. Not sure what it's called though, but from some searching it looks mostly like Le Mans style. 1960s Ferrari, Ford GT-40, things like that.

25. pacman

pacman

My dad came home from an antique auction with one of those toy's when I was in grade school. that was my first introduction to the golden arrow, he's still got it hanging up on the wall.

26. Hard to find anything prettier than a Jocko 'liner!

27. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

The British National Motor Museum Beaulieu has several of the old liners. Great to see in person.

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

28. Herdez

Herdez

Before I even clicked to check the photos one guy came to mind JOCKO!

29. Along with the Golden Arrow are 2 of Sir Malcom Campbells Bluebirds. I had the opportunity to visit in '95 during their fall Autojumble while working at The Eastwood Company. The grounds, swap meet and museum was overwhelming. Also met the Lord of the Manor, a second generation car crazy guy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008