Register now to get rid of these ads!

BEHOLD: The Lowly Dana 60!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

I'm about to buy a Dana 60. Are ALL Dana 60 innards the same, regardless of being a front or rear axle, year of manufacture, make it's in, etc?

[​IMG]

I mean, is a Dana 60 a Dana 60, no matter how you slice it, and all the guts interchange?

The only reason I ask, is that after years of buying and working on stuff where you can't just go out and buy stuff out of a catalog for it and bolt it on, I've finally got an F2, and am just entering this world. It's still hard to accept the fact that I can just buy stuff and bolt it on and have it work without a hammer, etc.

This is replacing my OEM Stump Puller, which is fine, but I want to go on the highway with it. My goal here is to get a differential I can actually get replacement, higher gears for. This Dana is out of a '68 F250, which not only bolts in, but allows the retention of my 8-lug wheels.

I just need to know how easy it is to do "things" to the insides of 'em when needed (parts availability, etc).

~Jason

~Jason

2. llonning

llonning

As far as I know they are all the same. Only different ones I have heard of were the Police axles. They were supposed to be a non-posi is all. I am sure that some of the trucks were non-posi also. At least the ones I have worked on.

3. Abomination

Abomination

So I can walk up to ANYTHING in the junkyard with a Dana 60, and if the tag says it's a gearing I want, just swipe the ring gear, or posi unit, take it home with me, and it'll fit?

It's really that easy? Seriously?

~Jason

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Thats a damn fine stump puller in the picture!

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Jason, I had no idea you were so cute...>;-)

6. roddinron

roddinron

Hell, I don't know, you put that picture up and now I can't think straight!:eek:

7. Rooster

Rooster

Don't know bout innards, but you can't bolt GM 8-lugs to a Ford axle cuz the hub extension is a larger dia. So should you find yerself w/a flat rear and only access to a GM yer changin a front too. They Will bolt on up front.

8. Abomination

Abomination

Great - you guys found me out! I wanted to keep my identity secret...

[​IMG]

<div class="post2"><object width="415" height="347"><param name="wmode" value="opaque" /><param name="movie" value="http://uncutvideo.aol.com/v4.410/en-US/uc_videoplayer.swf" /><param name="FlashVars" value="&aID=11cff249a82d65d94924fd8a3be36d278&site=http://uncutvideo.aol.com/"/><embed src="http://uncutvideo.aol.com/v4.410/en-US/uc_videoplayer.swf" wmode="opaque" FlashVars="&aID=11cff249a82d65d94924fd8a3be36d278&site=http://uncutvideo.aol.com/" width="415" height="347" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

9. Abomination

Abomination

And this is SUPPOSED to be about the Dana 60, not me. :D

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]
    looks like a lil dana worship goin on!

11. Ramblur

Ramblur

What? Hey she's cute. You say her name's Dana? Is she single?

12. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

No, they are not all the same. A lot of Fords actually have a Dana model 61, similar in appearnce, but the gears are different. I'm near certain a 68 will be a Dana 60, but after 1970, you better check the Vin tag to be sure.

13. Abomination

Abomination

SO all the 60s = same. The 61 = different innards, similar outside, but altogether a different rear end?

~Jason

14. Abomination

Abomination

Thank you. :D LOL!

~Jason

15. Now....what about a little more on Dana????

16. Abomination

Abomination

Jesus Guys, it's just Jessi Combs, metal fabricator extraordinaire. Spokeswoman for The American Welding Society, etc. If y'all are THAT curious about her, f'n here: http://www.jessicombs.com/

[​IMG]

Damn... I guess I learned one thing today: How to turn a request for driveline ID help into a thread about Jessi! LOL! :p

~Jason

17. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

18. Abomination

Abomination

LOL!

I emailed her, ya know. :)

~Jason

19. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm not really into 4x4s but that's the best car show on tv in terms of fabrication, etc. The main dude seems to really know his stuff and builds some cool trucks. Apparently the girl left the show. Maybe she'll pop up somewhere else.

20. krawlin98zj

krawlin98zj
    from NE Ohio

the front high pinion 60's out of the ford trucks had reverse cut gears those won't work in a rear axle

21. Terraizer

Terraizer

There are alot of differences in Dana 60's from company to company. For the most part gears and carriers are swapable between all of them other then with Dana 61's. Some have 16 Spline side gears, some 30 spline and some 35 spline. The dana 61 was built to use higher gears (3.07:1) mostly in vans where the dana 60 is 3.31 and up, The 61 uses a larger pinion gear so the ring gear is moved over more then a 60, 61 gears can't be used in a dana 60 but dana 60 gears can be used in a 61 with a ring gear spacer. 61's aren't as common as a normal 60, most 61's i have seen are in the rear of vans and the front in 1989-1993 Dodge ram diesel with 3.07's, they would have had a dana 71 in the rear on the 3.07:1 geared trucks.

22. I've met her a couple of times. Actually the shot of her in the shop with the Bronco in the background was one of those times. Nice to look at, can weld pretty decent but I didn't find her all that impressive. Maybe I'm getting old?

I know she had some serious back surgery if I remember correctly. She is a friend of a friend and I didn't pay too much attention to her after I talked to her for a little bit once. Seemed to have a little bit of an ego....but what the hell she earned it I guess.

23. Terraizer

Terraizer

reverse dana 60 gears (ring and pinion) won't work with a standard rotation dana 60 but the carriers (open and lockers) will swap between the 2.

24. Wesley

Wesley

one thing to keep in mind when swapping parts in a Dana 60 is, that to "properly" set the ring gear backlash and carrier bearing preload you are supposed to use a case spreader during set up and assembly. I didnt have access to a case spreader for the Dana 60 in my roadster when I switched from 5.13s to 4.56s so I set it up as I would any other ring and pinion. That was over 250 9 second passes ago and I have had no problems, however it does whine a little, but I dont hear the whine unless the engine is shut off and I am coasting.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

NO not dana 60s are the same .some of the early units had course spline axles .the 61 uses its own carrier.there where also 8 lug semi-floater dana 60 (c-clips wont have the outer hub)cant tell you the exact date when they changed from course to fine spline.68 jeep 715s had course axles.the B.O.M # will be on the passenger axle tube.around 6'' from the casting.7 digit# starting with a 6.this # will tell everything about the axle when it was built.''gear ratio.open , posi or locker.most fronts where 35 spline.if it has HD on the lower part of the center section it will have the 35 spline shafts .there are some very cheap disc brake set ups for them.. you can go up to a 1410 u-joint.

26. Abomination

Abomination

I figured the reverse cut gears wouldn't work. :)

But other than that, are the centers for the fronts identical to the centers for the rears, with the gears being the only difference?

~Jason

27. Abomination

Abomination

You guys totally rock - thanks!

ANd to a lesser extent, thanks, Jessi. LOL! :p

~Jason

28. Abomination

Abomination

Hey man, your PM Inbox is full.

Could you decode a tag number for me?

C8TA-NE
    603046-5

~Jason

29. Abomination

Abomination

BTTT for tag decoding help!

~Jason

30. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

68 ford truck ,3:73 gears ,open dif.should have course spline axles (16).you can get a power loc(posi) for it.