Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The West's Best - 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. [​IMG]
    16" channel, I wonder how he fit in it?

3. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Whoa, I've made a couple posts asking if anyone has info on this car...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231614

I'm guessing that the 16" channel was a lazier way to say there was a channel, kickup, and chop that combined to 16". ONCE MORE, does anyone have more info on this car?

4. I'm guessing that the 16" channel was a lazier way to say there was a channel, kickup, and chop that combined to 16". ONCE MORE, does anyone have more info on this car?[/quote]

I'ld love to see a pic of this car with the door open!! I thought 9 inches was a big channel.-MIKE:eek::cool:

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll be honest, I have been trying to force myself to appreciate the tricks that many used during this time. To me it just seems like a "throw it on there because I can" attitude that sort of throws everything that made customs cool in the late 40's to mid 50's out the window. I like that people own these cars but I'm not sure I would ever want one. Although Ala Kart is pretty cool as well as that '32, my father raised me to be a simple man and I stickin' to it.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yep, I too prefer the well-proportioned "neo-traditional" stuff being built today than the stuff that professionals were building back then. In fact, most amateurs pulled it off better than the pros. Moonglow, for instance.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looking into the past does upset the stereotypes...if I saw the '32 coupe without that heading, I would immediately say "classic east coast aesthetic, modifications made in order to show that it was modified, not for improvement"...but there it is, out there.
    Everything that isn't traditional was indeed tried back then, but it is the cars that have decent flow and improved lines that survive in our memories.

8. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Don't know if ya could find today ,some of those "signature" brite metal inserts in the trim ,etc. definatly period design stuff.

9. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

[​IMG]

but i like quad headlights.

10. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's a great post Ryan. I've thought about this a couple times myself. I bet if A la Cart was a new build today, some self appointed keeper of history would have some comment about the gold panels, padded roof or something.

Looking through my little books I've noticed quite a few lakes racers that look pretty "ratty" and unsafe.

I sorta like the batmobile headlights on the Ford though even though they are ugly. It just puts me in the mood of the time.

11. All the pieces of the Aztek taken separately are pretty ridiculous, but together as a whole, it works... if anything on that car was closer to stock, it would out of place.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Of course it is always easier to be better than something that has already been done because you then have the advantage of being able to analyze it and figure out how to improve on it. The question some of might want to ask is if we ourselves had been in their situation back in the day, with the resources, skills, equipment and example references to work off of, how good are some of these cars? At least they are a bit more diverse and creative than a lot of the proven formula cars we currently see which are nice, some extraordinarily nice, but none the less simply an execution of perfection of the ideas a lot of these cars set the ground work for decades ago. And how some of those guys did that work with just the most basic and simple tools most had back then is pretty humbling to me anyway.

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I agree that the Dodge does have just the perfect stance. I think that when building a traditional hot rod you should keep pictures like this in mind. What was built 50 years ago that looks ridiculous now? Cars like that little roadster have stood the test of time.

And I also believe that the 'more is actually less' movement did 'hurt' the custom scene in the late 50s. Maybe 'hurt' isn't quite the right word but it just seemed to take customs into a direction they were never meant to go. Overdone customs of the 50s (like Carr's '55 Chevy) opened the door to the wild and crazy show cars of the sixties, a time when it seems like everyone was trying to out do each other with more and more body mods, crazy paint and gadgets. They all just seem to be a far cry from say a Westergard, where it all started. In retrospect it just seems like the two aren't even in the same class!

Then again, opinions are like belly buttons, everyone's got one :D

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The problem was the move to "objective" judging...look at each modification, add up the points, more mods=more points. Looking good is subjective, and so has no role in the pure world of adding up numbers and going with the big one. Modify your ashtray so it opens upside down?? 5 points!
    The Ala Kart and Imperor roadsters were an early evolutionary step--both were basically traditional roadsters, jazzed by adding front and rear areas equivalent to late model cars in giving areas for modification. Obviously both took in the contemporary trends in upholstery, use of textured metal, etc.

15. I judged a car show back in the early 60s and Bruce is right about more mods more points..
    The judging sheet also had a place for judges overall addition or subtracting points..
    I did deduct a bunch of points because the car looked like Sh**Owner was severly pissed!!!!

16. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

overall i think the ala kart is ugly as sin

17. I like the front of this one, but the back end is way overdone.
    [​IMG]

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That 3W rules.........

It's too bad today's "traditional" rodder doesn't have the balls to cut up old cars like they did "back in the day".....

Cool blog Ryan.

19. I must say I agree. I couldn't drive it for very long, however, maybe staight to the chiropractor!

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Huh???

21. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I remember a thread say that they didn't build them low back in the day!:D:D

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always liked the Ala Kart. and the little dodge is sweet and would fit right in with todays scene if it were a new build.

the only way I'd have a 3 window like that is if it were a survivor. no way I'd build one or even fully appreciate the car if someone else did the same today.

all those customs are ugly. there are certain aspects of each that are cool, but as a whole it is an ugly bunch in my opinion.

23. DollaBill

DollaBill

Redneck Smooth...

I love that 3-window, too. I recall an old Hot Rod magazine (I THINK it was Hot Rod) that had an article on what I recall was a very similar car:

[​IMG]

A slightly more modern version:

[​IMG]

Contemporary "traditionally styled" cars, when done well, aren't very far removed:

[​IMG]

I love the first incarnation of the Lil' Coffin:

[​IMG]

24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Looking through late fifties kustom magazines there isn't many cars that really appeal to me either.... they are all so overdone. I like it simple :)

25. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

many of those old customs were born out of wrecked cars, and with a wrecked car you had a great chance to do some crazy stuff... i think today you can replace "wrecked" with "rusted/rotted" and the same opportunities abound.

see also

[​IMG]

26. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

That pic was one of a few posted by an Ohio HAMBer (I think Don Moyer, but wouldn't swear to it) supposedly taken at an Ohio dragstrip in 1959. Here's the other ones. These are the pictures I'm basing my model A build on, though I'm technically still collecting parts...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually kinda disagree with that statement. While there are certainly nice cars in that style being built today, this car is too much. It's a fine line, I admit, and the whole discussion couldn't get any more subjective, but that car's gone so far that it's lost what I love about the honestly old pics. Start with the stance. All the old cars have the tops of the tires BARELY over the trunk lid, the one above is WAY above. The grill's also too far back and whatever rack that is on the roof kills it as well. Maybe if his suspension didn't take up 110% of the trunk, he wouldn't need it. These are just my opinions, however, and I'm an opinionated bastard, so definitely take them with a grain of salt...

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I drove that Purple Deuce when it was still in Britain and of course no bugger that I knew saw me drive it!I was looking everywhere just so people could point and say there's that ugly Fucker Nick driving that beautiful Deuce!!!!:D:D:D

28. I agree with you, Redneck. Maybe because I'm a bit of a redneck myself.

That roadster is the cat's ass. the fenders look a little like a tucktail Harley fender, bobbed short.

29. DollaBill

DollaBill

Redneck Smooth...

I agree with you. Ironically, there IS such a thing as a "correct" traditional radical car.

60'shotrod...

Isn't that always the way!? :)