Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator rotation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoon, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Spoon

Spoon

Will an alternator produce voltage reguardless of it's rotational direction?
    If so, how will it's cooling be effected?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

how do you plan on rotating it any other way than it already does?
    No matter where you place it on the front of your engine it will always rotate the same way, unless you plan on twisting your V belt into an 8 shape, or mount it facing your engine..am i right?

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Alternators will charge turning either direction. The fan will normally pull warm air out of the case (clockwize, facing the engine) If you need to mount it backwards on the engine ( clearance issues??) it will work fine. The fan will blow cool air into the case. ( slightly less efficient, but ok.)
    Dave :)

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

It dosent care which way it spins. There is oppasite direction fans like for the serpentine belts which turn the alternator and water pump ccw. But I have never had a problem with the std fan.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ok, cool I didnt know that either!. good thing to remember.

6. DrJ

DrJ

Are there marine application reverse rotation alt's for reverse rotation engine$ available with reverse bent fan$?

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

The marine application issue would be a good source..(Expensive ) but good source..The marine Alt's are approved for that application so they are to provide a low risk of ignition in the case of fumes in the engine compartment, so they get a few bucks more for them..kinda like the Marine Carb. issue.

8. Spoon

Spoon

The alts I have came off of different V8s and I'm mounting one on my Flat 6. I noticed the fins were opposite from the ones on the generator that came off of the Flathead 6 cyl. Then, I got myself all confused as to which direction my V8s turned. I think they both turn counterclock wise from the drivers seat, but I'm not positive. That's how this question popped up.

Thanks for all of your help.
    Ya'll rock!

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If the alternator has been used for any length of time the brushes will have bedded thereselves in and may not like being spun in the other direction at first. Got the shirt :-(

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If I recall correctly, Corvairs had a reverse rotation alternator so if you're talking about a GM alternator you could try to find an alternator fan off one of them.

11. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

If your running a serpentine set up, you could potentially be in a situation where the alt may run in reverse... but why would you want a serp set up anyway?

12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Yes, Corvair alternators turn counterclockwise veiwed from the front. They were used '65-'69. The fans are different and the nuts to hold the pulley and fan on are lock nuts. Clarks Corvair sells billet fans if you feel the need! (www.corvair.com)