Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Front Wheel Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OK folks,
    I am totally in the dark on details for my latest '26 Model T project.
    I am going to look at several front/rear ends that a friend has later this week.
    I set it on a Model A frame.
    Some basic questions:
    * If I buy a front end with bare spindles, what is required to get it to a decent brake system using modern type wheels?
    * If I buy a complete front, with drums, wheels etc, what will be reqired to get decent hydraulic brakes ?
    * I assume a standard Model A rear end set up will not work with the torque of a 283 motor?

I have a sbc 283 and a Saginaw 4 speed for it....
    This will be a driver also, nothing special.
    Also as all my projects are, this is a budget build. Can't afford aftermarket parts...:eek:
    As always thanks for any help/advise you can give me...
    Cheers,
    Bob

2. Well it all depends if you want to go traditional with this build or non traditional. I would look for the following:

Traditional:

As far as front axle width and drop that's personal preference

Split wishbones

1940-48 ford brakes

Round back spindles

Later model 1940-48 banjo rear end preferably I believe it's a 46-48 truck open drive.

Non traditional:

Same for the front end above, but I believe you can buy disk brakes though for ford spindles if you wan. To go that route.

Rear end nine inch ford nothing better. Early broncos had the perfect width to fit under the rear and look right.

Taking the hamb to the streets ;)

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for the quick info...
    A bit more clarification...
    Wanting to go pretty much traditional, using Model A front spring/axle etc.
    Rear end will not matter much. I actually have a '55 Chevy rear end housing that I can start with.....
    Also today found a real nice Chevy old style Power Glide trans that I can trade my Saginaw for....I may go that way for the ease of installation as well as wife being able to drive...
    BTT for night crowd...
    Cheers....

4. No problem! As far as wheels go for your build you said that you can't afford aftermarket. That shouldn't be a problem though, that rearend for that Chevy should be 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so you could go with Americans or steelies, its all personal preference. But I would run a 15 or 16 inch wheel. The thing you're going to run into if you decide to use early ford brakes up front, is those are a total different bp at 5 on 5.5

Any questions don't hesitate to pm me.

Bagged chevy

Taking the hamb to the streets ;)

5. Just so ther'es no confusion, the Chevy wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4.75, not 4.50. ;)