Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 2011 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. monsterflake

monsterflake

for the 2nd year in a row, i pre-registered to race, only to have something keep me from having the car there. you really can't imagine how crushed i was. i'll keep my fingers crossed for 2012...

2. Yep, like everyone has said, this year rocked. Laid back is a great way to describe it even if I had enough butterflys for everyone.

Thank you Ryan, Marcie and crew. Thanks also to Carl and his gang. And finally to all of you who came out and made this happen. My favorite event of the year! :)

Thanks also for the kind words Ryan. Build yourself an old digger and let's have at it!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I am jealous!! Maybe I will have to go there someday - soon!

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I really enjoyed it. My old friend from Missouri who never heard of the Hamb said he really enjoyed the family atmosphere we have for each other. He is a drag racer but has never seen such friendship..........kinda says it all

5. seatex

seatex

Dayum, looks like a great turnout! Maybe next year!!!!

6. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Ryan,

Your event, with it's setting creates a feeling of Bliss. It is truly a step back in time because everything there is timeless. It is similar to experiencing Bonneville. There are no modernizations of buildings, no big money billboards or infiltrated by the wrong crowd. It is just a true experience that you have captured in a perfect setting.
    Yeah I walked away from my day job at 5pm on Friday, tuned up the loose ends on my wagon and loaded it up on the old shop truck with some of my best brothers and sisters of the Punk Rods. No modern vehicles and just three hours of early morning travel on Saturday heading straight for the strip and a journey back in time.
    It is great to see this group of true rodders there. This is a gathering of the "true grit" HAMB in my opinion. They don't talk shit on what they know more than you or correct you for your engineering or style, like a lot of people I have seen on here over the years as the base grows. They are willing to listen, teach, learn and share some stories.
    I was just walking around content at all I could take in. Then it was time to get busy with what we all have worked hard at doing, generating HP down the 1/4 mile.
    Well I had a take it easy run the first trip to make sure we were in tune. Then on the second run I was feeling comfortable as to seeing what this 360 SBC was gonna do. Well when I stage next to a beautiful pearl yellow Willy's lining up next to my raw metal wagon. I am like "Awe Shit I can't let my buddies down with all the time and sweat we have put into this car in the last year." I gotta give it hell this run!
    So I burn out and then stage. My eagerness then made me be a dumbshit and not lock her down in ratchet mode. I get ready to hit 3rd and slide right through neutral, just enough to hit reverse and start the lock up. I hit the brakes and pull her back into neutral in a split second, but too late, my brakes are locked up.
    I broke a shock and the tire got into the wheel well a tad, but no damage. Gotta go through the stall converter, but it was running good when I got it back to Kansas City.
    So needless to say the worst part was checking my shorts in the Port-a-potty after that run. But I was all just fine with it. It was a hell of a run and I was in a place where I was living in the past. I was never more content with my mind going "WTF? I hope I don't roll!" almost shitting myself and breaking a couple minor pieces. Everyone was helpful to make sure I was alright and if I needed anything for my car.
    I decided it was time to just load her on the ramp truck and go back to venturing through the past of the whole scene with my friends.
    Best day I have had all year.

ERIC

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s1L3Ci6utXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. That was a spooky run Eric! Oof!

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

eek. good save.

9. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

We all had a great time Eric, Thanks to Ryan and crew...

10. Looks like the best year yet!

I would love to make it out next year... I just think my boss would KILL me for taking time out at the beginning of a school year...

But the fun... would be epic.

Sam

11. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Had a great time, thanks for putting the shindig on for us all!

12. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

13. Had a blast as always, thanks to everyone involved. Brought my Dad out for the first time and he had a helluva time, talking about bringing a car next year... and he'll be 77 then.

Great to see a lot of people I only get to see at MoKan or Austin, and it had been too long. Nice to be greeted like an old friend (and Laura kept the streak alive of being the first person to run up and gimme a hug when I arrive :D).

Awesome time.

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

15. Circle trackers call that "Backing into a turn"... when did they put a turn in the middle of the strip???;)

Nice save... next time practice your "Rockford's" in a parking lot like the rest of us... Hahaha....!:D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  16. Thanks for all the hard work, I had a great time, can't wait to go again!

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Dang, Punk Rodder. You get my vote for worst driving (hitting reverse) and best driving (great freakin' save!), all in the same pass!:D

18. sololobo

sololobo

19. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

had a hot time at old mokan. the funnest place i know of . will see everbody again next year if you will have me. i ended up with the wrong dog tag on my trophy if someone wants it real bad i can mail it to you but i want the one i should have so i may not mail it to you! ha ha i won the gc/s class but the dog tag on my trophy is comp coupe class. email me on this site if you want to.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Of course we will have ya!

About the dog tag... Our trophy presentation broke down into disorganization. That was weird. Not sure how it happened...

In any case, PM sent!

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

22. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Damn Eric.......I hit third on my first pass and got the wiggles from some tire spin and had to unpucker my pants but DAMN!!!! GOOD SAVE!!

23. yngrodder

yngrodder

First time going, I decided the Friday night to go so my son and I headed out at 3:30 in the morning, We had a great time and will be back next year,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son after hours of racing :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

26. "Positive reverse lock-out" its cool that alot of nostalgia races are easier on rules, but this is a good example
    why everyone should have one.

27. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Thanks to all. Great time as always....

28. Had a great time. Thanks to all that helped.