Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Mag. Vol. 1 #1 value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, May 5, 2009.

1. guy1unico

guy1unico

January 1948 Vol. 1 #1 does anyone know the correct value...a friend has 2 and will sell me one. He has alot of 1948 and 1949 issues / what are these going for nowdays? condition is fair to good.
    Thank you,
    Guy:confused:

2. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

If he has two he should give it to you.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen them for over $1,000 on Ebay, back when I paid attention to that site. Don't know the exact condition of the one that sold at that price. And that was a while ago, so the economy may have brought the prices down a bit as well.

That said, don't think that issue number two is worth anywhere near number one's value. Not even half price.

Edit: Oh yeah, you have to know what you're looking at, there are probably more reproes out there than originals.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Careful, as I'm pretty sure issue #1 has been re-issued (reproduced?) twice. As far as value? For a real original first issue, it's hard to tell.
    Also, I have a few '48 and '49 issues in good condition - I think I gave about $8-$10 each for them.

Hope this helps you out some...

Malcolm

seb fontana likes this.

5. yes, i believe the first 8-10 issues have been re-printed . i can't imagine someone having TWO original first issues

seb fontana likes this.
  6. guy1unico

guy1unico

what are some tell tell signs of original vs. repop?
    Guy

seb fontana likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I sure hope the reprints were done in the current 8 1/2 x 11 size and not the 9x12 of the originals.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the repros were entire first year, and were issued once as a single book and once as individual months...I think at least one version has something like "printed in Hong Kong" at the bottom of last page. No idea where my repros are. Original set is right over there in the ring of Claymores. Can't check size because the trip wires are too densely interwoven, sorry.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I only have this reprint at my desk, here at work, to go from :)--
    it measures 7-7/8" wide by 10-7/16" high
    [​IMG]

On the bottom of page 22 you can tell that it's a reprint
    [​IMG]

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Only worth what somebody will pay for it. Give yor buddy $10 for mag. Like watching Barret Jackson auction and seeing a car like you have go for go for $100,000 and you now think you car is worth that much.

11. alchemy

alchemy

The 1998 re-issue by Hot Rod Magazine would show something different than that 1987 version. I remember getting my 50th anniversary issue of HR, and the Vol 1 reissue fell out of the package. That was way cooler than that whole year of 1998 HR's.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm 99% sure the reprint that I have shown above was from 1998 (even though it shows the 1987 copyright). In 1987 I was 8 years old and didn't subscribe to Hot Rod yet :)

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Malcolm! Nothing wrong with reprints, they allow us to read stuff we wouldn't be able to otherwise. The problem pops up when they get passed off as the originals and bring the same price as the originals.

seb fontana likes this.
  14. It is original if it has a white band at the bottom and white where the price and issue info is.
    [​IMG]
    The first six or so had similar band
    [​IMG]
    price anything from $200 up.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I can tell the difference between 20 year old paper and 60 year old paper....

16. tooslow54

tooslow54

A guy I work with worked for Peterson when they gave out those reprints. At one point they threw all the leftover boxes of them in the trash:eek:

Fortunately he grabed a couple boxes and gave me one that I've got at home and been meaning to frame. I know it's only a reprint but it's still cool to have.

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Jimmy's correct about the white where the price is... also the info about 1987 is on page 22 of the reprint

hope its real!

if your not buying it for some reason, I've been looking for original 48's any month
    pm me if some are available

Zach

18. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks again Jimmy B for giving me your spare copy of December '50 HRM.

19. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I've sold a few on ebay in the last few years, the earliest being a June '48 issue which brought just over $350. I'd guess the value would rise exponentially the earlier you go from there.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My wife surprised me a couple of years ago with a year of HRM for my Birthday...the years was 1948, my birth year.
    She developed secret contacts among the magazine dealers we met at the car shows, and I guess just kept calling them. I got the whole set in an envelope, missing only one of the late year ones that wasn't very hard to find. I am still shocked.

SuperKONR likes this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That is incredibly cool.

22. doctorZ

doctorZ

i got a re-pop one for $6.00. Totally worth saving $994.00 in my opinion!

SuperKONR likes this.
  23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

geez, that AND a 32 roadster...... she's alright! ;)

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

She snuck around behind my back to get the roadster too...cain't trust nobody no mo.
    The roadster was apparently well known in Pennsyslvania, and owner had to kick about 10 buyers out of his driveway every weekend...she heard about the car from a drunk at the truck show near Allentown. Got most of the owner's name...she then disappeared "to the Ladies' room" at the Midway, came back about an hour later and told me I owned a B roadster. She had been speaking with every information operator in eastern PA, hunted the guy down, and bought the car over the phone. I think her approach and her sex unraveled the guy's defenses. He was used to dealing with streetrodders yipping about purple velour and electric cowl vents...
    She also hunted down that neat '32 cabriolet early rod at the former Ford dealership just west of Allentown...family heirloom genuinely not for sale, but she found the owner and got us a close look at a neat old hottest-car-in-town from about '52!
    Right now, she is in intensive care unconscious, after two really bad years of medical disaster. I think that if she could still use a phone, she could hunt down God and get this handled...your prayers would be welcomed.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  25. fuel

fuel

Bruce,

Prayers said. Hope everything goes alright. Take care.

26. 1931av8

1931av8

Bruce:

Not to steal this thread...but definitely will be thinking of your wife and keeping her in my prayers. I know how good it is to have a partner that not only tolerates our hot rod habit, but also actively engages in it. My best wishes for improved health.

Tom

27. I'm on your side! I'd be afraid to look at a mag I paid that kind of money for. I love old magazines but when they cost that much they're practically useless.

Bruce Lancaster, prayers for your Mrs. She sounds like one of a kind.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Bruce, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife... really sorry to hear that.

Nick

29. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Bruce all my best to you and your wife sorry she is ill.

30. BELLM

BELLM

Bruce you and your wife are in my prayers. Sounds like a wonderful lady, hope everything works out.