Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional Lowriding Magazine out.....Butt, lownslow???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Radshit, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Lowriders were born from "Customs"...

In fact some of the Veteranos still call the older body style Lowriders, "Customs"...

So my point is...

How do you define the word "Traditional?"

It's the same question I have about the HAMB from time to time.

What the average person calls a "Traditional Lowrider" today is a straight-up product of the late 60's to mid 70's. Which in turn were an evolution of pure "Customs" built in the 50's etc...

Ever notice all the Latin names of the owners of the famous customs that we all adore... "Matranga, Lopez, etc..."

They were the fathers of "Lowrider Culture"...

Along with the black kids and the white-trash kids that built "customs" "Back in the Day"...

2. Eryk

Eryk

I get what you're saying and totally agree with you. Terms/words/phrases evolve just like cars and styles do. I guess if you really want to get technical, lowriding started way before all the customizing of the fifties, with the Pachucos of the 40's. My grandpa claims to have been lowriding before Watson got his driver's license.:cool:

On the subject of the magazine, I picked up a couple copies yesterday. It's decent. There's a cool glossary of lowrider terms from the late 60's/early 70's. Many of the photos are no different than anything found in Lowrider. I really like it though.

3. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

okay Ill bite whats a pachuco? I m just a poor old redneck and dont speak spanish/ latino. JUst looking for education, not trying to start some shit. Jay

4. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

A Pachuco is the term for a lattin gang member from the 40's...

And the term "Lowrider" wasn't around back then...

Pachucos may have been riding around in Lowered cars but they weren't "Lowriders"...

And Bertollucci and Westergard were Customizing before Winfield could drive too but they definately considered themselves "Customizers" or simply body men...

My Great Uncles were Pachucos and rode around in "Customs" in the 40s...

If they all rode around in a group, they were just Pachucos though...

Their Grand Kids were "Lowriders" :)

5. WrazedWrong

WrazedWrong

The Hamb is a great resource for info............It amazes me more & more everytime I get on here

6. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Its a good read. Great pictures and articles.

7. TOE

TOE

Sorry if this strays a little OT, but is Street Low Magazine any good?

This thread had me searching for other low rider mags on the 'net and that one came up. Ther website shows mostly older model vehicles from what I can see.

I am now on a search to see if any stores near me carry Traditional Lowriding Mag (or Street Low if it's any good). Thanks for the heads up.

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

the guy, or one of the guys, doing it was on here a while back. he and i were pm'ing each other for awhile. i of course gave him all the names of the folks here that would be interested in such a product. good to see that it's out. guess i need to make it to the newstand tommorrow and get a copy...ken....

9. HEY DONNY, I GOT MINE AT THE 7/11 ON LANKERSHIM BLVD NORTH HOLLYWOOD RIGHT BY RAYS AUTO PAINT SUPPLY:D

10. Longroof64

Longroof64

They've been talking about it coming out on layitlow for quite some time now... looks like an okay mag from what I saw on there, but still a lot of the 13" Daytons... that one cover looks like a late-model Caddy maybe??

Like someone said before, most of it seems to be what you'd see in LRM as features... Traditional? All in the definition...

Ahhh, the beauty of language... shit, to me my old bigwheel was "traditional"... trad early-80s-style taildragger!

Maybe they'd be interested in an article on the Los Boulevardos... just a thought...

Longroof (Ryan)

11. Deadender60

Deadender60

I got it.. liked it.. thought I'd see some features on cars with supremes, tru spokes, star wires and maybe even cragers. If you guys want to see some old school lowriding.. look for the movie Heartbreaker... lame story... but really coool cruising scenes.

-Juan

p.s. Anybody ever run Apliance wheels? My brother just got some 14's w/tiny tires.

12. I will buy your Buick so you can fund that project....=)

13. i had some apliance wheels on my 69 impala! hartbreaker is a bad ass movie from the late 70's! it has alot of old school rides in there from lifestyle cc and imperials cc one of the cars in that movie is named SEX PISTOL from the imperials its a boat tail rivie and a 76 caprice (glasshouse) called TECHNICOLOR they both had some of the baddest panel paint jobs around to this day!

14. sex pistol

Attached Files:

15. repoguy

repoguy

please, enlighen a lowrider-ignorant person.

What exactly constitutes a "glasshouse"???

Is it basically a 75-76 caprice/impala with the landau option and/or large rear 1/4 windows?

16. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

what's up ken? hope you've picked up a copy of the magazine. i introduced myself on the board many months back, but ill reintroduce myself. My name is Eric, and I'm the managing editor for Traditional Lowriding Magazine. I am also glad to see people talking about the magazine on here and giving feed back. I'm an avid fan of all cars and an avid reader of custom automobile history. I'm also a a builder of custom cars myself, lowriders/"low rod"/hot rod. Everyone who contributes to the magazine builds custom vehicles for themselves. One of the publisher even paints rods/customs/low riders at the shop he owns with his brother-in-law. Hopefully everyone can see the "love" we have for cars; and subsequently set us apart from other publications. Between us, we know and have come to know a lot of people. Not just in Low Riding, but in all facets of customization. We are slowly trying to educate others about car customization, quality standards and the history of these people/cars. We have lots of people ready to help us, just takes a lot of work and time. Most of us enjoy cragers, tru spoke classics, and supremes; problem is most like the original thing. Hard to come by, but some guys out there still have them on cars they've had garaged for YEARS. We will not exclude these types of cars. One of my jobs, is interviewing individuals and writing the grass roots/throw back pieces on the individuals. We hope this feature will give people more insight on those who have contributed to the custom car culture.

Sex Pistol, Star Car, The Elvis Car, Twilight Zone, Dressed to Kill, Las Vegas are just a few cars that are legendary in low riding. There are an equal amount of cars with other styling that are just as legendary. In time we hope we can expand people's acceptance to low riding, hot rodding and the combination of both. Some of the new cars are getting blending together, and i myself enjoy it. Our second issue has a car that shows this.

Enough rambling from me, look forward to your responses and questions.

Eric Prado

17. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

I still can't find this mag in my area...

18. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

some of the type of cars we enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

many of the cars have/had cragars but not at home to post the pics :(

19. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

we just finished our 3rd issue. hard to find out what stores have them. the problem is our distributor sells to other distributors. people have found them at: Rite Aid, Wal Greens, Target, Vons, Start Bros, 7-11. Hastings has them as well.

20. Zerk

Zerk

My alltime favorite is the '64 Chevy Gypsy Rose. I wish pics were available. Someone posted a beautiful detail photo of the C-pillar a little while back, but that's all I've caught of it for a very long while. Anyone?

21. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

We know Jesse, owner of Gypsy Rose, known him for awhile. Great guy. Ill see if i can round up some pics. The car is in a lay out in our 2nd Issue. It
    was the San Diego Automotive museum,along with other Low Riders such as Twilight Zone.
    Here is a pic of our second issue, and is what you should see on the news stands.
    [[​IMG]

22. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

ill have to scan some pics to show you our large quality pics. Only thing i found online is this one:
    [​IMG]

23. Deadender60

Deadender60

Yeah that Rivi is killer! Got any pics of your Impala?

TLMEditor.. I'm excited to see where you guys take this magazine. Like I said earlier, I enjoyed it but was hoping for more old school lowriders. If you check out our site (deadendmagazine.com) you can see that we cover lowriders also.. We're staying away from show cars and anything modern. Almost the same style you guys are covering. Our next online issue is going to have a sweet 37 Master Deluxe and an article from my brother's eye about cruising..

-Juan

24. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey TLME,
    I dropped you a PM about the mag keen to get hold of a few copies for N.Z.

25. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

4 door hardtop last time I checked, maybe hardtop in general

26. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

75-76 2dr hardtop

27. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

[​IMG]

28. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

not sure, but i think the original gypsy rose was a 63

[​IMG]

29. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

30. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hey TLMEditor ,,is there anyway to get the back issues?

i have really been wanting to check it out

or can someone please pic up a current issue for me and ill pay shipping and price of magazine,,
    i have been looking everywhere ,but cannot find a copy anywhere,.,

thanks in advance!

sam